saound card advice needed please - macbook pro user

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maximum01

saound card advice needed please - macbook pro user

Post by maximum01 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:16 am

i've been dj'ing with live for a few months now using my internal macbook pro audio aggregated with a soundblaster live usb sound card for. i use the internal audio for cuing and the soundblaster for main mix.

this works ok except when ableton 6 decides to crash when importing files due to the nil support for aggregated devices.

so i'm now looking upgrade and purchase a proper firewire soundcard that will allow main output AND cueing without having to use the annoying aggregate thing. also looking to spend no more that £120.

does such a sound card exist?

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:47 am

Echo audiofire 2. It's about £120. Only 2 line ins and 2 line outs, however the headphone output is separate to the line out, so you can use it for cueing.

Supposed to be stable and have good sound quality (has to be better than a sound blaster, at least).

No Mic/instrument pres or anything like that. If you want that kind of thing, you could pay a bit more and get it's bigger brother, or a firebox or something.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:50 am

Yep. And it's one of very few audio devices than can be bus-powered by the MBP. Using BootCamp and ASIO4ALL I can get as low as 1.5ms + 1.5ms latency. (It's higher with Echo's drivers and higher still under OS X.)
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II