Operator users that also have Racktor...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Homebelly

Operator users that also have Racktor...

Post by Homebelly » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:31 pm

In case you don't frequent the library as obsessively as i do
this is a pretty cool tool for randomizing elements inside operator.
http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... tchid=3199
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:01 pm

wow cool. Thanks for posting this.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Just a note, you shouldn't need to run it with Midi Yoke or stand-alone to make this work.. Just run it on it's own MIDI track as a VST and redirect the MIDI to your operator track.. Should work fine.

-n
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Nathan Ramella wrote:Just a note, you shouldn't need to run it with Midi Yoke or stand-alone to make this work.. Just run it on it's own MIDI track as a VST and redirect the MIDI to your operator track.. Should work fine.

-n
should, but doesn't, afaik.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Machinate wrote:
Nathan Ramella wrote:Just a note, you shouldn't need to run it with Midi Yoke or stand-alone to make this work.. Just run it on it's own MIDI track as a VST and redirect the MIDI to your operator track.. Should work fine.

-n
should, but doesn't, afaik.
Man. Now you're going to make me download the ensemble, get operator going and test this.. I hate doing QA work. :D

-n

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Hasn't it been highly debated on these forums that vsti's in Ableton can't recieve and send CC data to each other?

I doubt it would work as a vsti
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:52 pm

tempus3r wrote:Hasn't it been highly debated on these forums that vsti's in Ableton can't recieve and send CC data to each other?

If thats the case then :roll:

Bah. I'm at my unlock limit.. Can't test this out.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Nathan Ramella wrote:
tempus3r wrote:Hasn't it been highly debated on these forums that vsti's in Ableton can't recieve and send CC data to each other?

If thats the case then :roll:

Bah. I'm at my unlock limit.. Can't test this out.
Unless i'm doing some thing wrong,,, it doesn't seem to work as a plugin.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Even if you could send midi from one track to another - you still need a virtual midi port to operate the remote mappings.

.m

parma

Post by parma » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:21 pm

has anybody got this working with an intel mac?

I've tried routing MIDI between Reaktor and Live using the IAC Bus but it ain't working. Live's MIDI indicator lights up when i press one of the randomize buttons on the Operand ensemble but nothing happens to Operator.

:?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:27 pm

parma wrote:has anybody got this working with an intel mac?

I've tried routing MIDI between Reaktor and Live using the IAC Bus but it ain't working. Live's MIDI indicator lights up when i press one of the randomize buttons on the Operand ensemble but nothing happens to Operator.

:?
Did you prepare the remote mappings on your Operator?

(I didn't try this patch myself - only had a look at the above link)

.m

wildtek

Post by wildtek » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Just experimenting with it this past week, works well with Maple Midi Driver, don't have the Midi Yoke since (not sure) it don't work on Win Vista.

Pretty good tool when you're in lack of inspiration and want something happening to give you new directions.

You need to setup Operator to respond to the Reaktor patch or refine the settings directly in the Reaktor patch to send infos right to operator.

But it works.

Peace
Dimitri
Wildtek Concept
http://wildtek.free.fr
http://wildtek.blogspot.com

'DO IT YOURSELF'

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:09 pm

wildtek wrote:Just experimenting with it this past week, works well with Maple Midi Driver, don't have the Midi Yoke since (not sure) it don't work on Win Vista.

Pretty good tool when you're in lack of inspiration and want something happening to give you new directions.

You need to setup Operator to respond to the Reaktor patch or refine the settings directly in the Reaktor patch to send infos right to operator.

But it works.

Peace
Dimitri
One thing to note here.. Operator is.. to put it nicely, kinda simple.

If you've got Reaktor, there's about 2,500 instruments in their user library, and there's a 'randomize' button built into their snapshot system that as you can imagine, randomizes controls for you.

Basically you can download someone's random synth, hit randomize a couple times and generally 1 out of every 20 sounds pretty awesome.

No monkeys or typewriters or anything..

parma

Post by parma » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:11 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Did you prepare the remote mappings on your Operator?

(I didn't try this patch myself - only had a look at the above link)

.m
Nope. And I have no idea about how to go about doing so.

I thought it was more of a "set it and forget it" affair.

wildtek

Post by wildtek » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Right but it's also pretty exciting (imo) to tweak knobs and hear the effects of each one on the sound, a knob well 'turned' can provides better results than any sort of randomize things.

Past night, I was absolutely not able to find a way to sleep quietly and normally so, I opened Reaktor, loaded an ARP emulation ensemble and started to tweak each paramaters one after one, and finally I've been surprised myself to find sounds similar if not 'the same' as Kraftwerk's most know tracks (Trance Europe Express, Radio Activity, Numbers, ...)

I def think good music or at least good sounds are result of a correct knowledge of technique and a part of magic due to randomize or other improvisations that technology permit us to use.
Wildtek Concept
http://wildtek.free.fr
http://wildtek.blogspot.com

'DO IT YOURSELF'