Operator users that also have Racktor...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
synnack
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by synnack » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:26 am

Alexis Forge wrote:I was going to use this existing Reaktor thread but I think it may have strayed...so I might give it it's own thread too

I've been thinking a lot lately about learning Max and getting more into creating my own tools, but I already have Reaktor 4

some people have already suggested getting R5 but I dont have a pot to piss in - so that puts Max/MSP out of the frame for now too

question is, how far can I get with Reaktor 4? will it be really useful for building my own instruments that integrate with Live - like for example TOne Deft's one pedal looper and things like that - can you do really flexible routing type stuff with Reaktor 4?

I have it as part of Komplete 2 and have only ever loaded presets - so I'd rather use what I already have if I can

can Reaktor handle signals from hardware and convert them to MIDI/OSC - things like that like Max can? I dont mind using Glove PIE for that, but I'm curious
Reaktor does support MIDI and OSC and you can do a lot with it. Reaktor 5 has some performance enhancements though.

I'm learning Max now though because I have future plans to build some custom video stuff and Reaktor has no support for video. I also find the tutorials that come with Max to be light years better than anything I've seen; book, website, or product doc about Reaktor.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Image

Alexis Forge
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:34 am

Post by Alexis Forge » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:48 am

tempus3r wrote:
Alexis Forge wrote:I was going to use this existing Reaktor thread but I think it may have strayed...so I might give it it's own thread too

I've been thinking a lot lately about learning Max and getting more into creating my own tools, but I already have Reaktor 4

some people have already suggested getting R5 but I dont have a pot to piss in - so that puts Max/MSP out of the frame for now too

question is, how far can I get with Reaktor 4? will it be really useful for building my own instruments that integrate with Live - like for example TOne Deft's one pedal looper and things like that - can you do really flexible routing type stuff with Reaktor 4?

I have it as part of Komplete 2 and have only ever loaded presets - so I'd rather use what I already have if I can

can Reaktor handle signals from hardware and convert them to MIDI/OSC - things like that like Max can? I dont mind using Glove PIE for that, but I'm curious
Reaktor does support MIDI and OSC and you can do a lot with it. Reaktor 5 has some performance enhancements though.

I'm learning Max now though because I have future plans to build some custom video stuff and Reaktor has no support for video. I also find the tutorials that come with Max to be light years better than anything I've seen; book, website, or product doc about Reaktor.
yeah there's also the point that we may well be really wanting Max skills when the C74 collab finally kicks in

for me though, I really want to just setup my perfect jamming environment and then never tweak a goddamn thing again - I want to get away from tweaking and back into making music!

parma
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:14 am

Post by parma » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:51 am

setting aside the "validity" argument -

can anyone out there help me to understand how I would go about setting this up on a mac pro?

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Homebelly » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:09 am

parma wrote:setting aside the "validity" argument -

can anyone out there help me to understand how I would go about setting this up on a mac pro?
The easiest way it to use the inlcuded als file.
Its probably in your down load as a txt file as the reactor library doesn't like to see unusual file types. Just cut the txt part off of the file name.
Open up the file.
Open up R5 in stand alone and select the IAC bus as its midi in/out.
Go to the track in live that has operator and change the input from midiyoke to the IAC bus..
Go back to R5 and randomize to your hearts content.

On a side note,,
you have two choices from here,,
Put live into midi map mode and take note of how operator has been set up,,
Or,,
Use the template as a sound design tool and drag any sounds you like to the operator file in lives browser so you ca use them else where...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

parma
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:14 am

Post by parma » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:44 am

Homebelly wrote: The easiest way it to use the inlcuded als file.
Its probably in your down load as a txt file as the reactor library doesn't like to see unusual file types. Just cut the txt part off of the file name.
Open up the file.
Open up R5 in stand alone and select the IAC bus as its midi in/out.
Go to the track in live that has operator and change the input from midiyoke to the IAC bus..
Go back to R5 and randomize to your hearts content.
That's what I tried before with no luck. However, I think I've figured it out. I had to change the preset in Reaktor and then change it back and then it would work. Kinda weird, but I think I've run into a similar Reaktor "initialization" bug in the past.

I'm glad I got it figured because I was doing everything you mentioned and I was pulling my hair out figuring out why it wouldn't work!

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Nathan Ramella » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:33 am

Alexis Forge wrote:can Reaktor handle signals from hardware and convert them to MIDI/OSC - things like that like Max can? I dont mind using Glove PIE for that, but I'm curious
Reaktor as standalone can do OSC, not as VST -- but otherwise yeah, it can do all sorts of crazy MIDI routing stuff. Reaktor 4 is at a bit of a disadvantage compared to Reaktor 5 because of the addition of 'Core' as a programming language.

But personally after spending a lot of time with Core, I find it more annoying than worthy of praise. You can do a LOT with reaktor primary modules, the user library is full of great ensembles that were made with R4 and previous.. I'd hold off on upgrading until R6 (Start holding your breath now..)

-n
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

tadx
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: tricity
Contact:

Post by tadx » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:31 am

Nathan Ramella wrote:17 year old girls don't hear a house track and think 'What a tosser, he obviously just used the Whispering Pines preset from the Korg Micro and ran it through the parametric EQ and delay in Logic.'
well put :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply