Electronic Heavy Rock/Metal?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:22 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:Doesn't it seem kind of strange that there are not more killer "new" artists doing this sort of thing? Do you suppose that's like some basic "fear" of doing new things or fear of adventurous crossing over?

It would be difficult at best to consider this a "new thing", it's a trend that began over a quarter centrury ago. It moved into pop culture in the late 80's early 90's. Artists like Bong-ra or Aaron Spectre (Drumcorps), in building on those foundations, have looked to more extreme material to explore. But you hear drum machines/heavy guitars/industrial sounds in all kinds of mainstream pop. It, like punk, has been assimilated or gone on to explore new territory.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:37 pm

pulsoc wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote:Doesn't it seem kind of strange that there are not more killer "new" artists doing this sort of thing? Do you suppose that's like some basic "fear" of doing new things or fear of adventurous crossing over?

It would be difficult at best to consider this a "new thing", it's a trend that began over a quarter centrury ago. It moved into pop culture in the late 80's early 90's. Artists like Bong-ra or Aaron Spectre (Drumcorps), in building on those foundations, have looked to more extreme material to explore. But you hear drum machines/heavy guitars/industrial sounds in all kinds of mainstream pop. It, like punk, has been assimilated or gone on to explore new territory.
I never said it was a "new" thing. I was "there" 25 years ago when it came out. There most definitely are a great deal of "new" bands doing it though even though much of it is a lot different than it originally was. (Thank goodness for musical evolution) And Industrial is not "dead" with all due respect to the Wax Trax man. Rammstein is NOT the same as Skinny Puppy or Front Line Assembly or NIN or whomever from the "old" days. Much different just as KMFDM has become much better and different than they used to be. What I am curious about is this "newer" Skinny Puppy" that someone mentioned earlier. (and I still love their older shite)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
pulsoc wrote:

I never said it was a "new" thing. I was "there" 25 years ago when it came out. There most definitely are a great deal of "new" bands doing it though even though much of it is a lot different than it originally was. (Thank goodness for musical evolution) And Industrial is not "dead" with all due respect to the Wax Trax man. Rammstein is NOT the same as Skinny Puppy or Front Line Assembly or NIN or whomever from the "old" days. Much different just as KMFDM has become much better and different than they used to be. What I am curious about is this "newer" Skinny Puppy" that someone mentioned earlier. (and I still love their older shite)
dudes, we getting old, old people don't go to schools where kids talk about the underground unsigned cutting edge sounds.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Precision

Post by Precision » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:43 pm

DrXparaMental wrote: I bought Too Dark Park when it came out and of course the Mins are cool.
Too Dark Park is still just utterly awesome. I saw Skinny Puppy live a few years back - quite an experience :twisted:
Tone Deft wrote: it's hard to code Python when you're knocked up on morphine with your dick in a sling.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Precision wrote: I saw Skinny Puppy live a few years back - quite an experience :twisted:
that is cool! I would have loved to have seen those guys. So many GREAT chances missed, but alas, there is always today! Think after I get home from work I'll watch their DVD. TDP is already in my changer.

Bile is pretty frickin messed up. You gotta love the horrors of core and the Techno of Whores. :lol:

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 pm

Fear Factory
Curve (KMFDM reminds me a bit of them, Curve is more raw

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:59 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
pulsoc wrote:

I never said it was a "new" thing. I was "there" 25 years ago when it came out. There most definitely are a great deal of "new" bands doing it though even though much of it is a lot different than it originally was. (Thank goodness for musical evolution) And Industrial is not "dead" with all due
respect to the Wax Trax man. Rammstein is NOT the same as Skinny Puppy or Front Line Assembly or NIN or whomever from the "old" days. Much different just as KMFDM has become much better and different than they used to be. What I am curious about is this "newer" Skinny Puppy" that someone mentioned earlier. (and I still love their older shite)
WHAT?? In the original quote you asked if people weren't doing it for fear of "new things"! Jeeezus.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:10 pm

pulsoc wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote:
pulsoc wrote:

I never said it was a "new" thing. I was "there" 25 years ago when it came out. There most definitely are a great deal of "new" bands doing it though even though much of it is a lot different than it originally was. (Thank goodness for musical evolution) And Industrial is not "dead" with all due
respect to the Wax Trax man. Rammstein is NOT the same as Skinny Puppy or Front Line Assembly or NIN or whomever from the "old" days. Much different just as KMFDM has become much better and different than they used to be. What I am curious about is this "newer" Skinny Puppy" that someone mentioned earlier. (and I still love their older shite)
WHAT?? In the original quote you asked if people weren't doing it for fear of "new things"! Jeeezus.
calm down there cucumber. You misunderstood me. I was talking about accomplished musicians that were not afraid to try new things. As in new to them, not to everyone else.

The passage was a brief reflection of my Squarepusher meets Black Sabbath or Metallica idea.

The point being that there was, is, and always will be huge droves of metal fans and musicians. Some of those metal fans & musicians will be adept ableton (or other sequencer) users far better than myself both musically and tech head (sound design) wise.

My question or more accurately preponderance was "I am sure they are out there, where and who is my curiosity"

dig?

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:36 pm

i would think of the faint and mstrkrft's remixes.

fortycoats

Post by fortycoats » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:43 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:Squarepusher meets Black Sabbath
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ueuxvzsv4FA&feature=related

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:47 pm

NIN :) ( burn, wish, the hand that feeds,
White Zombie ( astro creep 2000) <--- an absolute must have
Gravity Kills
Razed in Black
Vast ( although they may be a bit lighter than what you are looking for)
Perfect Circle ( check out the song "War Drums")
Combi Christ
Imperative Reaction ( best freaking band )
Coal Chamber ( the devil may cry)
Type o negative remixes ( do these count)
Gary Numan ( Pure, In a dark place, Dominon Day) <- This aint your 80's cars or tubular army!

If you want to chat theis is my vein. This is what I am trying to accomplish
IM ME
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 pm

darkcatt wrote:NIN :) ( burn, wish, the hand that feeds,
White Zombie ( astro creep 2000) <--- an absolute must have
Gravity Kills
Razed in Black
Vast ( although they may be a bit lighter than what you are looking for)
Perfect Circle ( check out the song "War Drums")
Combi Christ
Imperative Reaction ( best freaking band )
Coal Chamber ( the devil may cry)
Type o negative remixes ( do these count)
Gary Numan ( Pure, In a dark place, Dominon Day) <- This aint your 80's cars or tubular army!

If you want to chat theis is my vein. This is what I am trying to accomplish
IM ME

I totally agree about Rob Zombie. He has never done anything I didn't like. I even praise his movies. (haven't seen Halloween yet) I saw the Zombie on their Black Sunshine tour when they came through Detroit. GREAT show. The first two White Zombie albums are total classics and that is EXACTLY what I am looking for with just a bit more tight hard crunchin' dance beats and mean arse synth.

Production is so important. So many times you hear these killer jungle breaks sampled from old records and they in and of themselves are monstrous rhythms, but they would be SO MUCH BETTER if they were redone via Stylus or BFD where you could get that precision chest crusher going. Source is everything. The apple don't fall far from the tree...yada yada.

Yeah, I'll take you up on that email my man. I am grateful for your time and insight. I have about 50% of that list you mentioned, but the stuff I don't...how does that commercial go? "Priceless."

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:57 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:I totally agree about Rob Zombie. He has never done anything I didn't like. I even praise his movies.
+1

I totally forgot about this, some show where 5 famous people get together and have dinner

Dinner for Five - Season 4 Episode 03 - Rob Zombie, Bruce Campbell, Roger Corman, Faizon Love and host Jon Favreau Part 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQBaVM2e4fw
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

tricil

Post by tricil » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 am

:?:

I mean I LOVE Pitchshifter, Godflesh and all those earlier industrial sludge metal groups. There are a bunch more that I just can't think of but it seems like there would be some newer stuff happening. I am certain there are a helluva lot of musicians out there that annihilate myself both musically and tech knowledge wise that could just pulverize this stuff. kind of like Squarepusher meets Black Sabbath or Metallica. It seems like the only newer aspects of heavy electronic are breakcore or horrorcore related bands. The music (humbly seems) to be mostly spin offs from the schools of extreme heavy metal speedcore stuff.

I'm seeking and thanks to cool people, I'm finding.
check out Celldweller.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:15 am

project pitchfork, cesium 137, angels and agony...

I always considered bands like ill nino and killswitchengage nu metal...you know, metal where the singers can actually sing.