Break Board into Sub Groups Please!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Break Board into Sub Groups

Poll ended at Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes
14
29%
No
27
56%
Don't Care
7
15%
 
Total votes: 48

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:32 am

BOO! HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!


I can never understand this request - it is the one guaranteed way to turn a forum from a vibrant place with loads of discussion into a sterile wastland where nobody posts more than 3 times

I tried a program recently where the forum had about 50 sub categories and they were all about the same thing, and I had no idea where to post and it was a total fucking mess

stick around for more than 5 minutes and you'll discover the system on this forum is SO much more effective that people actually come here to ask about different programs because they know they'll get a reply

shheeeesh - i think I'm going to campaign for a sticky "THE ABLETON FORUM WILL NEVER BE BROKEN DOWN INTO MORE CATEGORIES!"

divide and conquer

although I would like to see a rack sharing forum, but even there the sticky in tips/tricks handles that pretty well

Michael Hatsis
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:27 pm
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 am

Yeah, I hear you forge... Ever check out the Jazzmutant forum or dare i say ALDJ? Decent amount of posts, but they have sections broken down to fine detail that it looks like theres nothing ever new there...The jazzmutant forum Looks like something that EvilEvilEvil set up...

1. Lemurs in action
2. Lemurs in action by righthanded people
3. Lemurs with OSC
4. Lemurs with MIDI
5. Lemurs with MIDI used by people with a hairless body

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:02 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Yeah, I hear you forge... Ever check out the Jazzmutant forum or dare i say ALDJ? Decent amount of posts, but they have sections broken down to fine detail that it looks like theres nothing ever new there...The jazzmutant forum Looks like something that EvilEvilEvil set up...

1. Lemurs in action
2. Lemurs in action by righthanded people
3. Lemurs with OSC
4. Lemurs with MIDI
5. Lemurs with MIDI used by people with a hairless body
:lol: :lol:

that's starting to sound like a weird bestiality porn site

pulsoc
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: Baltimore
Contact:

Post by pulsoc » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 am

beats me wrote:Daft Punk section please and a sub section for each track they have produced.
+1.

Image

fishmonkey
Posts: 4087
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 pm

bad idea...

i love being able to hit the general forum and do a quick skim of the active topics and pick and choose... encourages the art of subject titles too...

it would be absolutely hideous having dozens of sub-forums to navigate... i just wouldn't do it...

you a double Virgo or what?

headquest
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am
Location: UK

Post by headquest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:20 pm

As an owner of the Live Suite, I would like 16 boards if I need help with a specific ... but would almost certainly NOT read 16 boards in terms of answering other users questions, etc. So i think it would probably be self-defeating.

Perhaps a better Search function would help?

One thing I would quite like is an OT section for all the political discussion, general chit chat about music and life, etc. Splitting that out would make the Live-related user forum more focussed I think.

Also I like the idea of having a seperate forum for spam. Obviously discussed at length elsewhere, but PLEASE can we get rid of that stuff out of the main forum?!
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:26 pm

yes, we should break the forum.
First section we should create is a 'site suggestion' area.
Threads like this would be made there, or moved to there.

then we should leave it at that, methinks
spreader of butter

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm

headquest wrote: One thing I would quite like is an OT section for all the political discussion, general chit chat about music and life, etc. Splitting that out would make the Live-related user forum more focussed I think.
the thing so many of you dont seem to be getting is that stuff = engagement with the other people posting here as a kind of community - that is what makes it work

and that is the same reason the sterile split up other forums dont work

when it is a forum populated with real people who talk about the same real shit they talk about with people in their real lives, then it becomes a community and so people engage with it and invest their time and energy into it
headquest wrote: Also I like the idea of having a seperate forum for spam. Obviously discussed at length elsewhere, but PLEASE can we get rid of that stuff out of the main forum?!
they solved the spam issue - the poor buggers are now manually going through every registration request one by one

headquest
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am
Location: UK

Post by headquest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:37 pm

forge wrote: the thing so many of you dont seem to be getting is that stuff = engagement with the other people posting here as a kind of community - that is what makes it work
Oh I agree - I would spend lots of time in the OT section :wink:
they solved the spam issue - the poor buggers are now manually going through every registration request one by one
Excellent news. I kinda spent a lot less time here recently because I was sick of it, so I didn't know that the problem was solved. Cool 8)
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:39 pm

you're already in the OT section, bill clinton was a right old cunt y'know.
spreader of butter

mikemc
Posts: 5454
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:47 pm

I dunno, i think it might be good if there was a couple additional sections

"URGENT: Waaaaahmbulance Needed" where posts could be migrated into this appropriately

and

"Suggestions to Improve Forum" section, which in turn would be divided into two sections "Moderator y/n?", "Issues with Seach" and "Other Issues".

:)

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:03 pm

b0unce wrote:you're already in the OT section, bill clinton was a right old cunt y'know.
a search for your sig brings up 1 thread: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ell+stairs

I liked Hatchetts McGee -the name made me laugh

BTW I couldnt find the quote - where does it come from?

headquest
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am
Location: UK

Post by headquest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Perhaps the current forum list could be improved upon... For example:

Announcements
* Announcements

Live
* General discussion and Feature Wishlist
* Live Instruments
* Tips & Tricks
* Bugs & Problems
* Live 7 Beta Testing
* Live 7 Beta Testing - Done tasks

Users
* Off Topic
* Link your Music
* Local

Hmmm... discuss! I bet there are loads of ways this could be tweaked, with lots of for/against arguments :wink:
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:18 pm

headquest wrote:Perhaps the current forum list could be improved upon... For example:

Announcements
* Announcements

Live
* General discussion and Feature Wishlist
* Live Instruments
* Tips & Tricks
* Bugs & Problems
* Live 7 Beta Testing
* Live 7 Beta Testing - Done tasks

Users
* Off Topic
* Link your Music
* Local

Hmmm... discuss! I bet there are loads of ways this could be tweaked, with lots of for/against arguments :wink:
maybe the question is - what do you feel you are missing currently?

8O
Posts: 5502
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am
Location: Berlin

Post by 8O » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:25 pm

headquest wrote:Perhaps the current forum list could be improved upon... For example:

Announcements
* Announcements

Live
* General discussion and Feature Wishlist
* Live Instruments
* Tips & Tricks
* Bugs & Problems
* Live 7 Beta Testing
* Live 7 Beta Testing - Done tasks

Users
* Off Topic
* Link your Music
* Local

Hmmm... discuss! I bet there are loads of ways this could be tweaked, with lots of for/against arguments :wink:
I used to think something similar, but nowadays I would go for:

* General
* Local
* Live x Beta Testing

and that's it!
Image

Post Reply