Max 5 is out!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:29 am

From what I understand of quartz composer, it's not real time in the same way Jitter is. With Jitter, I'm pretty sure you can send in MIDI from Max to manipulate images in real time via say MIDI commands that also change scenes in Session View. Something I've wanted to do for a while.
Quartz Composer is as realtime as you can get. It accepts MIDI, OSC and also does audio analysis via 8 band FFT or simple amplitude analysis. So you can have your audio going into QC and then take the 8 signals coming out of your FFT and use them to control different aspects of your visuals. Or you can use MIDI or OSC for more hands on control (plus mouse, keyboard etc)

The first version of QC, called PixelShox, didn't even support offline rendering... it was only realtime.

QC is definitely worth checking out for live performance, especially since it's free. It's also higher level than Jitter, so it's arguably easier to get going with it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am

hoffman2k wrote: Quartz composer even takes OSC.
Wow? Really cool to know, I assumed it was geared towards rendering rather than performance, and never really looked into it.
I'd wait for that book on Max. Pluggo has yet to surface, there probably will be some big changes there. And the way you can access documentation in Max just kicks ass. Almost every object has its own html reference file.
Yeah, I mainly want to use it to fill gaps, and I know it's a bit over my head. My area of expertise is more in the application of the software rather than the coding, so I would learn Max at a slower rate than others, but I've always known that a lot of what i want out of software are things that most programmers don't have a care for at all.... Also, I'm OK with learning to use a peice of software slowly over time, if I know that the end result will be rewarding. :)
Plus I'm certain that owning Max/MSP will be a decided advantage with the results of the upcoming Cycling/Ableton collaborations.

Also, Max/MSP and Jitter bundled at audiomidi.com for $559! 8O
that's the same price that Max/MSP without Jitter has gone for for years!

Blah, I'm such a sucker for a good deal...>

jah

Post by jah » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am

i'm an owner of max 4.6. i downloaded and tried version 5 yesterday, it looks good but it crashes all the time! is this a win xp issue?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 am

jah wrote:i'm an owner of max 4.6. i downloaded and tried version 5 yesterday, it looks good but it crashes all the time! is this a win xp issue?
not sure, I haven't had any issues.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:53 pm

machinesworking:
http://www.amazon.com/Composing-Interac ... 026223193X
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/de ... 2&tid=4435

seems to be mad expensive if you buy it from MIT direct
spreader of butter

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:37 pm

This is absolutely great!

I bought my student Max/MSP 4.6 during the grace period meaning I would get an upgrade as soon as Max 5 came. Today the new serial arrived and since students buying the pack today cannot buy Max/MSP alone, but only Max/MSP/Jitter, I'm getting the full package!

Brilliant stuff!
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:01 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: Quartz composer even takes OSC.
Wow? Really cool to know, I assumed it was geared towards rendering rather than performance, and never really looked into it.
I'd wait for that book on Max. Pluggo has yet to surface, there probably will be some big changes there. And the way you can access documentation in Max just kicks ass. Almost every object has its own html reference file.
Yeah, I mainly want to use it to fill gaps, and I know it's a bit over my head. My area of expertise is more in the application of the software rather than the coding, so I would learn Max at a slower rate than others, but I've always known that a lot of what i want out of software are things that most programmers don't have a care for at all.... Also, I'm OK with learning to use a peice of software slowly over time, if I know that the end result will be rewarding. :)
Plus I'm certain that owning Max/MSP will be a decided advantage with the results of the upcoming Cycling/Ableton collaborations.

Also, Max/MSP and Jitter bundled at audiomidi.com for $559! 8O
that's the same price that Max/MSP without Jitter has gone for for years!

Blah, I'm such a sucker for a good deal...>
It's not just a good deal. NOW is the time to get on the this boat. Max 5 is more user friendly than any of this type of software has ever been. I've only been working with Max 4 for a little over a year and I can already tell that Max 5 is going to add a nitrous tank to my patch building skills. The documentation is fully integrated and that is going to make a big difference for people who have been daunted by Max in the past.
Unsound Designer

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 pm

No Instabilities here either, works pretty smooth here on 10.4.11. Dig the New Transport stuff and the way you can now send musical time divisions to time based objects like metro, delay, line...as a whole max 5 is really a pleasure to use...

As far as Max MSP literature goes, ive heard the Winkler book is a bit outdated, but if your looking for something to supplement Max's own documentation, download this PDF, lots of goodies in there...

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.p ... 10aa3508d5

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:17 pm

i'm playing with the MAX 5 demo and i'm enjoying it alot..

BUT..

i still recommend Quartz Composer to anybody wanting to get into (free) patching for a Visual environment.. it really is fantastic and as well as being realtime, it takes input (and some output) from midi, OSC, Video Input, Mouse, HID (games controllers), Motion Sensor, Wii, Keyboard, Audio Spectrum.. the lot.. just try it.

Did i mention its free.?
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Haven't poked around too much in the new version yet. But...

The new academic pricing is brilliant. You get Jitter on top when you upgrade even if you don't own it since before. So 159 US dollares (that's about 2 euro at the moment :wink: ) and you get Jitter on top!

I'm a happy camper. Now I need Machinate to teach me some of those matrix tricks for nifty Lemur interaction. Hello Andreas?!?!

.m

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I'm a happy camper. Now I need Machinate to teach me some of those matrix tricks for nifty Lemur interaction. Hello Andreas?!?!

.m
I'm here! Get on aim or skype, chum :-)

newnumbertwo

Post by newnumbertwo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:04 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: As far as Max MSP literature goes, ive heard the Winkler book is a bit outdated, but if your looking for something to supplement Max's own documentation, download this PDF, lots of goodies in there...

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.p ... 10aa3508d5
Note that when passing around URLs to Cycling's forums, you don't need to include the "S=XXX..." (or the rid=0 part) -- this is the session id and unnecessary, and in fact, can thwart you when trying to download a file. The proper URL would be:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.p ... le&id=1007

BTW, as far as the comparisons between Max and Reaktor go, while there is quite a bit of overlap between these two patching environments, really they have very different focuses and philosophies.

I've been a Reaktor user since v.3, and a Max/MSP user since v.4. What I have found is that Reaktor has a very strong inclination towards synthesis and sampling, with some strong, but limited sequencing options. There is an unbelievable number of ready-made ensembles and instruments, so much so that unless you really want to, you don't have to make anything "from scratch".

With Max, the focus is not so much on synthesis and sampling, although it's certainly capable of both. Max, for a lot of people, functions as a "glue" between different systems. I have a friend, for example, that has been working on a patch to control his CyberLights (using a DMX protocol object) and do live video processing/fx as well -- so he's basically using Max for the visual component of his A/V PA (I think he's using Renoise for the audio).

One of the old Max mottos used to be "control anything with anything" and that's as apt a description as any. Go to http://www.maxobjects.com and you'll find Python objects, objects for use with MsPinky control vinyl for building your own digital DJ solution, externals that allow you interact with a unix or DOS shell, OSC implementations, etc.

On the other hand, what you won't find is a centralized repository of ready-made Max instruments, etc. This is due to the cultural differences between Max and Reaktor. While Reaktor encourages capitalizing on other people's existing work, Max sort of has a culture of "build everything from scratch". You'll see this when asking questions on the Cycling forums. People are less apt to flat out give you a patch that does what you describe than give you bits and pieces and suggest you look in a certain direction.

I'd also say that until v.5, Reaktor had a big leg up in the usability dept, although that playing field seems much more leveled at this point. Also, beyond the shadow of a doubt, Max's documentation is very very good, some of the best I've encountered in any audio application, heck any software application PERIOD.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I work for Cycling 74. However, I speak these words as a user, and not in any official capacity. These are my honest opinions and I'm not saying any of these things about Max to encourage a sale. I love Reaktor, have for years, and to tell you the truth, if I'm going to build a synth/sampler, I'll reach for Reaktor before I reach for Max. On the other hand, Max is much stronger IMO for building sequencers, although Reaktor allows for a bit more direct approach to this task.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:25 am

newnumbertwo wrote:BTW, as far as the comparisons between Max and Reaktor go, while there is quite a bit of overlap between these two patching environments, really they have very different focuses and philosophies.

I've been a Reaktor user since v.3, and a Max/MSP user since v.4. What I have found is that Reaktor has a very strong inclination towards synthesis and sampling, with some strong, but limited sequencing options.
very nice write-up. Thanks!

I will, however, debate you on the sampling side of Reaktor. I believe it to be FAR inferior to msp equivalent. Sure, there is basic sample playback support in Reaktor, and it does load sample maps more or less out of the box.

It doesn't allow for a lot of customization, and the real-time timestretchy doohickies in the Reaktor User-Lib are all incredibly complex and tough to mod.

One of the previous shortcomings of maxMSP was the difficult process of creating user interface layouts. With presentation mode that hurdle is gone, too. Cycling74 really took a leaf out of Reaktors book there (well, bad idiom there, since it's hardly documented in Reaktors book ;) )

newnumbertwo

Post by newnumbertwo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:45 am

Machinate wrote: I will, however, debate you on the sampling side of Reaktor. I believe it to be FAR inferior to msp equivalent. Sure, there is basic sample playback support in Reaktor, and it does load sample maps more or less out of the box.

It doesn't allow for a lot of customization, and the real-time timestretchy doohickies in the Reaktor User-Lib are all incredibly complex and tough to mod.
To be honest, I haven't done all that much with sampling in Reaktor, and I base this particular opinion on Max vs Reaktor in the sampling dept based on what I've seen created with both (I'm thinking of things like BeatLookup, etc.)

That said, the fact that you can use buffer~ and peek~ and poke~ in Max for sample-accurate data storage really gives one an idea of the differences.

I will say this, in many cases, certain kinds of tasks in Reaktor can take a much more direct route than the same task might in Max. Sometimes, flexibility can be a curse.

It's really a pity that Reaktor isn't documented better. I'll also say that the lack of OSC functionality when Reaktor is used as a VST is quite regrettable.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:50 am

newnumbertwo wrote:It's really a pity that Reaktor isn't documented better. I'll also say that the lack of OSC functionality when Reaktor is used as a VST is quite regrettable.
yes and yes. I have often claimed that Reaktor is hardly a functional OSC host at all. There are simply too many problems (like, lists of incoming values can't be longer than 8 members... !?!?)