Live as Future DAW ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fearslutz

Live as Future DAW ?

Post by fearslutz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Hello All

I am really thinking about using Live in the future as my complete daw and i joined the forum just to see if its a good idea.
I don't really see the point in using Live as a rewire plugin because i don't think you can use efx, plugins and stuff using it this way ?, so its got to be all or nothing.

Thanks in advance

T :)
http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/fearslutz

Fearslutz ! everything electronic without the nobbery

creature

Post by creature » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm

I use Live as my ony DAW and it is fine. There are some niggles that I hope will get resolved in the next version, like curved automation, but apart from that I find it suits my needs. I have released 3 ep's and 2 albums with it and each time it has fulfilled my needs perfectly.

I know some people who use cubase or logic have grumbles with using Live as a daw as it probs has features missing that they are used to, but I have not used any other daw, so I dont miss these features :-)

Steve

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm

I think you definitely should give it some thought.

fearslutz

Post by fearslutz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:09 pm

creature wrote:I use Live as my ony DAW and it is fine. There are some niggles that I hope will get resolved in the next version, like curved automation, but apart from that I find it suits my needs. I have released 3 ep's and 2 albums with it and each time it has fulfilled my needs perfectly.

I know some people who use cubase or logic have grumbles with using Live as a daw as it probs has features missing that they are used to, but I have not used any other daw, so I dont miss these features :-)

Steve
Thanks Steve

I have yet to try the demo as i am building a new daw at the moment but it looks really promising and also the fact that i can use it for 14 days without the crap is really cool 8)

People do tend to complain about its intern mixing quality but i will let my ears be the judge of that.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:12 pm

very quick and creative for making music - there are some DAW features missing that can make it quite infuriating at times, but as a music making application it cant be beat

Enots

Post by Enots » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:12 pm

It's totally doable as a DAW.

I've recorded and mixed work for a dozen commercial projects in Live and it's not failed me.

We forget that people composed and mixed albums on far inferior (as far as capabilities) settups than Live.

Anything is doable. I've done whole albums inside of Making Waves Studio also.
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

djfm

Post by djfm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 pm

i think i have used most daw's out there. iv'e bought live and sold it twice and each time regretted it
I just have bought live 7 and i plan to stick with it this time.
if you wanna make music fast then this is the baby for you
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

channelite

Post by channelite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Live is different because the app is playable like an instrument. It's a different way of thinking then the DAWs that are out there. For all it can do when the music is playing, it's worth it. It embraces experimentation. Having your music looping instead of having to duplicate a region a hundred times. I had Live Lite for like six months before I bought the full version, I wish I would have done it sooner.

Olga

Post by Olga » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:11 pm

fearslutz wrote:
creature wrote:I use Live as my ony DAW and it is fine. There are some niggles that I hope will get resolved in the next version, like curved automation, but apart from that I find it suits my needs. I have released 3 ep's and 2 albums with it and each time it has fulfilled my needs perfectly.

Steve
Thanks Steve

I have yet to try the demo as i am building a new daw at the moment but it looks really promising and also the fact that i can use it for 14 days without the crap is really cool 8)

People do tend to complain about its intern mixing quality but i will let my ears be the judge of that.

Yes, your giving yourself very good advice there, let your ears be the judge. Live 7 sounds just as good as anything else out there. People will argue about the summing and different DAW engines until the end of time. It just comes down to knowledge and plugins. If you've got some knowledge and good plugs, no one on earth would be able to tell you the difference between a track mixed down on Cubase, Logic, Saw or Live in a side by side listening test. People that talk down about Lives audio quality usually haven't a clue about how to use live. They don't know about lives High quality interpolation mode and then they'll have drum loops warped on tones or textures mode complaining that they sound muddy. They then go back to their forums and falsely report lives lack of good sound quality. RTM carefully and use your ears.
Last edited by Olga on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Give it a try.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Yes, don't be so fearful.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:04 pm

I have Cubase and Live.

I could live without Cubase, even though it has some features not currently replicated in Live, but I could not not live without Live. Live also has it's own features that are not replicated in linear DAWS such as Reaper, Logic, Cubase, SOnar etc

Live can do almost everything I need and with the odd workaround here or there, I can do anything. The Live 7 Suite is very comprehensive and Live continues to get more feature rich with every release.

The rendered sound quality is no different in Live or Cubase, that old chestnut is false. Various tests have proven this.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

fearslutz

Post by fearslutz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks everyone :D

I will let you know how i get on !

8)

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Steve
+1
I grew up on Live..does everything I need and lots more that I haven't even begun to explore.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm

forge wrote:very quick and creative for making music - there are some DAW features missing that can make it quite infuriating at times, but as a music making application it cant be beat
Like which features?
fe real!