Korg zero4 and zero8 still having problems?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Mike Goodwin

Korg zero4 and zero8 still having problems?

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:47 am

I was starting to get excited about the idea of getting a Zero4 but then I read through the forum and found several posts from people talking about problems. Dropouts in audio when switching from midi to audio mode for the pot's. Very low output to the mains. Sudden audio glitches needing reboot 8O

I just wonder if there is anyone that is still working with these units that can provide me with real hands on feedback.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 pm

i had bought my very shortly after they came out (a zero4) and experienced the issues you listed. i hated it because the mixer was so awesome outside the problems, which turned out to be deal breakers. i sent it back to where i bought it.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Mike Goodwin Vs Damon Chambers

CLASH OF THE TITANS!

Deft

Post by Deft » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:50 pm

I had no end of Firewire audio problems with the Zero 8 when I had a review model. Didn't get anywhere when troubleshooting. Computers and Firewire audio can be a bit hit and miss.
For what it's worth, a Mackie D4.Pro had absolutely no problems using Firewire audio at 3ms ASIO buffer size on the same laptop.

keithwired

Post by keithwired » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 pm

Didn't they release new firmware that fixed all of these problems?

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:30 pm

keithwired wrote:Didn't they release new firmware that fixed all of these problems?
really well remembered...

are you guys having these issues with the latest firmware ?
1.6 if i remember correctly

Deft

Post by Deft » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:49 pm

Dunno. Mine went back before 1.6 came out. I'd be reluctant to buy either unless you can try it with your computer for a while to see if anything weird happens. Not an ideal purchasing situation though.

attrib

Post by attrib » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:42 pm

i got 1,6 still having prolems
dnb soldier

Mike Goodwin

Re: .........

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 am

Deft wrote:a Mackie D4.Pro had absolutely no problems using Firewire audio at 3ms ASIO buffer size on the same laptop.
Ya same type of performance with the D4 over here. It is my current mixer. Looks like I will be keeping it.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It is indeed a shame as that mixer looks like the one to have feature wise. But if it is not completely stable it is simply not going to work in a live situation.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:53 am

i am deeply disappointed (although not really surprised) with your negative experiences

the zero 8 was a sure winner on my gear lust fever

strange s that on another thread about it other user has reported being really happy with its performance...
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90073

can i just ask if u tried to use it under windows or osx ?

one of you a least i suppose it is win as you mentioned asio...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :roll:

Deft

Post by Deft » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:17 am

I'm sure there are plenty of happy users - it's just not something you find out until you have it running with your own personal setup.
Firewire generally seems to cause more problems for audio than PCI/Cardbus type solutions.
The Zero 8 is a really fun mixer though, typical Korg I guess. A bit flashy and silly in places but still pretty well thought out.

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:11 pm

I just purchased the zero 8 and I'm sad, Noise is an issue, if I adjust the gain structure to rid the hiss, there is no headroom left, I noticed that the light underneath the gain knob will flash when your overdriving the channel, which i thought was brilliant, but the gains all blink at different intensities, also, the analogue peak meters are not working either, with the mixer running hot as possible, the meters barley register, even though the red overload light they contain is flashing... I haven't even hooked this thing up to my computer yet for sound, just off the turntables, this thing can't hang. Sad, cause there is nothing out there like it, I'm gonna return this thing and try out the Mackie d.4, any other suggestions?
lights, drums, techno

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:09 pm

BongoBennie wrote:I just purchased the zero 8 and I'm sad, Noise is an issue, if I adjust the gain structure to rid the hiss, there is no headroom left, I noticed that the light underneath the gain knob will flash when your overdriving the channel, which i thought was brilliant, but the gains all blink at different intensities, also, the analogue peak meters are not working either, with the mixer running hot as possible, the meters barley register, even though the red overload light they contain is flashing... I haven't even hooked this thing up to my computer yet for sound, just off the turntables, this thing can't hang. Sad, cause there is nothing out there like it, I'm gonna return this thing and try out the Mackie d.4, any other suggestions?
i bought it as well and im thinking of sending it back.the ecler evo5 seems like a sure winner.

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 pm

I saw the Ecler, I would assume its a clean mixer, but i thought that about the Korg as well, The Ecler is 1000 more than the Mackie, is it worth the extra $ ?
lights, drums, techno