record audio into a slot without WARPING!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigdog

record audio into a slot without WARPING!!!!!

Post by bigdog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 am

This must be possible. I just want to record live input into a slot in session view and I dont want it warped or looped or anything else?????
help!!!!!

jasefos

Re: record audio into a slot without WARPING!!!!!

Post by jasefos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:37 am

bigdog wrote:This must be possible. I just want to record live input into a slot in session view and I dont want it warped or looped or anything else?????
help!!!!!
It only has to be warped if you want it to Loop automatically.
; )

There is a way you can make the clip loop without using the Looping function. Learn how to use follow actions.

Yes not idea - hopefully the Abes take care of this some time.

I don't like the sound of timestretched audio personally so I'm always looking for means to avoid it.

Cheers
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:44 am

yeah i dont want it to loop or be warped..i just want to record audio performance of live instrument as in a DAW...then be able to hit playback and hear it unwarped......

forge

Post by forge » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:54 am

preferences>record/warp/launch>loop/warp short samples>"unlooped one shot"

auto-warp long samples=off

also, clips set to beats mode will not be warped if the clip tempo is identical to the project tempo

if you feel it is being warped then manually enter the clip tempo to be sure the values are identical and there are not some hidden decimal place differences

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:14 pm

no, actually I think Timur's method is better for making sure of the unseen decimal places,

to right click on the '1' marker and "warp xx.xx from here"

??

but anyways, the key to this is to set default mode to beats and to stop caring that the warp light is on, because it's not doing anything.

the preference settings for warping don't effect new recordings. they always have warp on no matter what. (but it's not doing anything)

Saranac

Post by Saranac » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Hello everyone,
I've also been trying to have Live record audio into session view without warping - i.e. with warp off by default. Somehow, it seems nothing can stop Live from being in one warp one or another, and ready to loop. And i have to de-activate the looping manually.

Is it really not possible record audio that will by default just playback as a one shot ? Because i havn't found the technique (in Live7).

If anyone has a trick, please share it ! Thank yous.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

forge answered your question. it's in the preferences.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Saranac

Post by Saranac » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for responding.
Those preferences may affect files that are brought into Live, but any new recording - made within Live, no matter what the preference settings : warp+loop both on.

I find it really strange. I'm not worried about artifacts or anything related to sound quality, simply i don't want my new recordings to loop, but simply play back once, then shut up until i press them to play again.

So i believe the answer to the question is no.

Oh well, nevermind...

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Strange.. Live never has done that here.. it defaults a recorded clip as a 1 shot... i must activate the loop function.. sorry dunno..
btw I also have warp enable off in prefs....

Hd

Nickatine

Post by Nickatine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Dunno if this helps, but when I have 'link' mode on it'll add warp markers in my recording, if another link device is connected. I think that's cause the third party hardware/software adjusts the session tempo ever so slightly. But likewise if you touch the tempo box it'll also add a warp marker in your clip.

sonicsweets

Re:

Post by sonicsweets » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:24 am

forge wrote:
Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:54 am
preferences>record/warp/launch>loop/warp short samples>"unlooped one shot"

auto-warp long samples=off

also, clips set to beats mode will not be warped if the clip tempo is identical to the project tempo

if you feel it is being warped then manually enter the clip tempo to be sure the values are identical and there are not some hidden decimal place differences
Is there any configuration to have recorded clips default to unwarped? Auto-warped on beats mode sounds fine if you don't change the tempo, like you said, but I do a lot of exporting (technically, consolidating) and the artifacts are really bad even if warp is just "on" but not doing anything. I don't mind this for instruments, but I don't want it to warp vocals.