CDJ400s and Ableton. (Cdj 400 live midi cdj400)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mugtree

CDJ400s and Ableton. (Cdj 400 live midi cdj400)

Post by mugtree » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:13 pm

My first time on here, so hello to everyone.

I am thinking about getting a pair of cdj400s. Can't afford 1000s and will just use the 400s in my bedroom. Can't imagine there is a big jump to using 1000s if/when i get to play out. They looks pretty similar apart from the size of the platter which will obviously effect the feel but I'm sure i will learn the different feel fast in the clubs.

Anyway, i want to check before i spend that they will do what i want. I basically want to use ableton to mix live. I can do just from my powerbook, Luke Vibert style! I think he uses ableton, saw him in derby a while ago and think he was using traktor. Anyway he was quality.

Spoke to djstore and they said i can plug ableton into a cdj400 deck through USB and assign midi controls to it like it was a midi controller. So do you think i can asign the pitch control of the 400 to the pitch button on ableton? Hold on, ableton doesn't have a pitch control!? Do you think the little platter on the 400 will change the song in ableton like it would a cd. ie if i spin it back will it affect the tune like normal.

Am i being daft here or not? Please help. Cheers. George

Deft

Post by Deft » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:23 pm

If you want traditional dj'ing style emulation, Ableton is probably not the one to do it. I guess Traktor, Mixvibes, djDecks etc. etc. are the obvious choices for non-hardware proprietary options.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 pm

beaware that if you plan to use the usb for getting music into the cdj400 it seems it only reads mp3, not wav or aiff !!!!

i was almost ready to order when i noticed this....