girlfriend and 8-core mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jesso

Post by jesso » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm

8 Cores are a bit uneccessary. A macbook pro or a imac is a wicked machine, unless you are running huuuuge sessions, or need a pro set up to impress clients.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Tohtruck wrote:Where the hell do you find a girl like that???
really. I had to read the title of the post several times, because I couldn't believe it didn't say "girlfriend OR 8 core mac"...
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 pm

I played this game before....

Dont let her buy you anything....youre gonna owe her in the long run.

tell her to invest the money and youll buy your own computer when your ready.
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

darkcatt

Re: girlfriend and 8-core mac

Post by darkcatt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:34 pm

nuxnamon wrote:my girl took a voluntary separation from her work and she just got a fat paycheck.. about $80K.. she's gonna pay off some bills of and taking some time off, but most importantly, she asked what would be my dream computer? I've been telling her how slow my computer is (Mac G5 dual 2.0).. so she says, go to the apple site and configure what you want.. So automatically, I am thinking 8-core macpro, but then again.. is it really worth it.. should I just get an I-mac and get some other toys, or is the 8 core really worth it? will live even use all 8 cores evenly? any suggestions would be great... Oh BTW, I was kinda joking when i showed her a $30K mac configuration w/ all the works just to see what my limit is...she is willing to pay up to $5k..

Marry her! Damn bro . . . . .

I would try to get anything wit xeon processors so you can go multi procs
OH YEAH!!
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

nuxnamon

girlfriend 8-core

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for the input peeps.. but 1st and foremost.. the ring is out of the question.. she's got the cash, she can buy herself.. lol. As far as if this was a test of some sort... I don't think so.. I was complaining last christmas of how much a pain it was to switch between Serato and Ableton in my macbook on my dj set-up.. so come x-mas time, she bought me a refurbished macbook from the apple site so that I can run each application on it's own dedicated computer. I guess me showing her all those Dj Enferno youtube videos finally paid off... lol.. but yeah, this isn't a test.. she actually believes in my musical dreams, sometimes more than me.. As far as taking her on some vacation.. she's taking me to Hawaii since I've never been there.. so I don't need to take her anywhere.. The lemur is out of the question as it's just too much eye candy and my novation remote/automap works fine. I would rather spend the money on something else.. below is my set up... any suggestions for improvement? BTW, currently leaning towards the macpro 8-core so that leaves me around 2 g's to play with.. I think my soundcard for my main setup probably needs replacement.. my production style is a fusion of everything (except country), so ultimately it would be called "pop" since that's what pop music is now..

DJ setup
2 x technics 1200
rane ttm56
pioneer efx500
motu ultralite soundcard
motu midiexpress
FCB1010 footpedal
2 x intel macbooks (serato/ableton)
Novation remote 25SL

Main setup
Mackie 624's
KRK Sub
m-audio sputnik
focusrite voicemaster pro
mackie universal control
Korg Kontrol 49
Focusrite liquidmix
M-audio 1814
MAC dual 2.0 ppc
various soft plugs--

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Since you already have a decent live setup Get the 8 core with a cinema 30" display.
/thread

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Does she have a sister...? :wink: well...I'm single and I was thinking of...ehem...well... :lol:
Now, seriously...go for the 8 core Macpro but don't buy the ram from Apple.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 am

Eighty

Fucking

Grand

??

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

WTF?

Was she a trader at Goldman Sachs? Who in the hell get's eighty grand for a voluntary leave????

nuxnamon

not a trader

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:44 am

she volunteered for early separation.. company is cutting back so they were looking for people that wanted to get out with a incentive package.. 8 weeks of pay for every year of service in the company.. she's been there for 8 years.. so 64 weeks of salary plus all vacation.. I would have taken the same thing if offered to me.. lemur, dexter, monome, vestax controller one, dual 50 inch samsung hd displays, etc.. and everything else us boys want that we don't necessarily need.. most people get 2 weeks/year when they get laid off or something.. but 8 weeks? She saw that more as an opportunity more than anything else.. Only some people got it as it was a lottery system.. the people that didn't get it or decided to stay still could get laid off later, but with a significantly less attractive package.. which is the 2 weeks of weeks pay/year of service.

Olga

Re: girlfriend and 8-core mac

Post by Olga » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:50 am

nuxnamon wrote:my girl took a voluntary separation from her work and she just got a fat paycheck.. about $80K.. she's gonna pay off some bills of and taking some time off, but most importantly, she asked what would be my dream computer? I've been telling her how slow my computer is (Mac G5 dual 2.0).. so she says, go to the apple site and configure what you want.. So automatically, I am thinking 8-core macpro, but then again.. is it really worth it.. should I just get an I-mac and get some other toys, or is the 8 core really worth it? will live even use all 8 cores evenly? any suggestions would be great... Oh BTW, I was kinda joking when i showed her a $30K mac configuration w/ all the works just to see what my limit is...she is willing to pay up to $5k..

If you have a chance to get an 8 core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro I'd get one. Then for an extra $330 you can get 6GB ram from OWC bringing you up to a total of 8GB. Including apple care and all that your only at $3,350 total. Get a 150GB 10,000 rpm raptor as your boot drive for $169 and your set. Take $495 and get an Apogee Duet for your sound card. So all that for $4,014. This leaves you almost $1,000 toward something like Duende ($1,300) for 32 channels of SSL grade mixing or a UAD or Liquid mix etc. Thats the 5k well spent imo. Matters how serious you are into music though obviously.

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:35 am

I'm going way off topic (as I usually do).

But if you two go to Hawaii, stay away from Maui! It's extremely touristy and commercial (aka boring and lame as hell). It's also filled with honeymooners and cheesy couples. The beaches were nice and clean but rather boring (not a whole lot of sea life) nothing special.

Head straight to the Big Island! Best beaches ever!!! Sea turtles everywhere!!! The beaches were filled with all kinds of interesting fish and beautiful coral reefs (extremely close to the shore). I even (sort of) managed to swim with wild dolphins, they more so swam under us because they were really shy.

The food is also much better (fewer commercial eateries) and local Hawaiin food was easier to find.

Not filled with lame tourists and couples. There lots of cool hippies and laidback surfer folk. This one old dude I met out at one of the beaches was a cool hippy dude who swam with the dolphins everyday. Another weird thing I noticed was that everyone on the island is extremely nice and polite (very different to what I'm used to in NYC).

P.S. Your girl sounds like a keeper. Do her farts smell like flowers?

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:16 am

mikemc wrote:
Tohtruck wrote:Where the hell do you find a girl like that???
really. I had to read the title of the post several times, because I couldn't believe it didn't say "girlfriend OR 8 core mac"...
:D I did that too... Really... :D

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 pm

what happens when you break up? does she get the gear?
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

djconrad

Post by djconrad » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:05 pm

suspended childhood wrote:I played this game before....

Dont let her buy you anything....youre gonna owe her in the long run.
sad but true

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm

2 macbooks to run serato and Live?

you could do it with just one

I used to run both on my powerbook as well, the only problem was that it would heat too much and then crash!