RME Audio interface Cardbus questions.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eggnchips

RME Audio interface Cardbus questions.

Post by eggnchips » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:03 pm

I'm after buying a new external audio interface for my laptop as my current one isn't the best. I'm really interested in the RME RPM but I don't understand all this PCI card stuff as I'm only used to dealing with USB.
My laptop has an Express card slot for Cardbus cards (According to the manual) What I'm not sure about is if I'll get the correct adapter with the interface?
And why are RME selling an Express card on for 350€ when for 400€ you can get a RSP interface with some other kind of similar looking card?
Also is the interface powered from the laptop?
Any simple albeit non-sarcastic explanations welcome.
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu May 01, 2008 4:28 am

There are 2 kinds of PCI card for laptops:

1. Cardbus (also known as PCMCIA) is the older, more established format.

2. Expresscard is the newer format found on new MacBookPros and newer PC laptops.

They are both the equivalent of PCI slots for desktop computers.

I would imagine when you order the interface, it is up to you to tell the seller/retailer which card format you need.

Neither of these supply power to the interface.

Hope this helps!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu May 01, 2008 8:46 am

RME used to offer PCI and PCMICIA cards for the multiface I and II.
Since a couple of months there is the Expresscard slot too, so that it is possible to use the Multiface with new laptops, so in your case you have to buy the expresscard slot + Multiface combo.

If you don't want to bother with all that but still get RME, you might want to check the fireface400, the box has the same dimension of the Multiface (half rack width) but it connects via firewire cable directly so no need for a cardbus.

RME are expensive but offer you really stable drivers, low latency and a stunning audio quality. I use both live and in the studio a multifaceII with the laptop and I am very happy, as it seem to be every RME user.