are CDs dead?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

are CDs dead?

Post by forge » Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 pm

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Yes. Unless you DJ with them.

Or if you are Tone Deft who refuses to download a digital song ever.

Marx

Post by Marx » Thu May 01, 2008 6:04 pm

My car has a CD player because some asshole stole my iTrip. I have stacks and stacks of unlabeled burned ccds in my car.....I hate them

mekon

Post by mekon » Thu May 01, 2008 6:04 pm

No
Not if quality audio means anything to you at all :)
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz - lots of ModCan modular - and a talent for making a racket

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Thu May 01, 2008 6:06 pm

cds are sooo passe
mekon wrote:No
Not if quality audio means anything to you at all :)
does that mean my wav and aiff files arent quality?

wait, dont they make the files into wav/ aiff and THEN put them on cds??? im confused?

:)
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

mekon

Post by mekon » Thu May 01, 2008 6:08 pm

Ahh yes - I meant as a delivery system to the listener
Mp3's suck ass
Wav and aiff fine, but no one buys them on the whole
:)
Good point though :)

mekon

Post by mekon » Thu May 01, 2008 6:09 pm

Vinyl would be better
But that arguement is already over

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Thu May 01, 2008 6:09 pm

yes, CD's are dead.
Actually they have never been alive,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life#Definitions

Or maybe it's an alien life form:
It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu May 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Eh, I could've bought lossless downloads of the new portishead album and then backed them up.

That would've meant burning a CD, or waiting a while and burning it to DVD with a bunch of other files.

Instead, I chose to buy the CD and rip to an acceptable lossy format of my choosing. By buying the CD I got a lossless backup which, experience tells me, will last for at least 20 years if looked after... I think I got a good deal, really..

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Thu May 01, 2008 6:22 pm

for 20 million dollars I will design and implement a multi site, multi tier, multi layered redundant HOT replication, backup, and contingency plan with load balancing distributors around many states/ countries, and redundant connectivity and power for all of your data...with security in place to prevent hacking at any layer...and I wont use a single cd or dvd

we can discuss operations and maintenance plans as well for an additional cost.
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 pm

suspended childhood wrote:for 20 million dollars I will design and implement a multi site, multi tier, multi layered redundant HOT replication, backup, and contingency plan with load balancing distributors around many states/ countries, and redundant connectivity and power for all of your data...with security in place to prevent hacking at any layer...and I wont use a single cd or dvd

we can discuss operations and maintenance plans as well for an additional cost.
+1 and, for another billion we can fix the entire US intelligence infrastructure.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

jbible

Post by jbible » Thu May 01, 2008 6:51 pm

I personally still prefer packaged cds as my master copies that I then rip to flac and burn to cdr for the car so the originals and their packaging dont have to leave my house. Guess im a dork.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

Daddy?!

Post by Daddy?! » Thu May 01, 2008 7:09 pm

jbible wrote:I personally still prefer packaged cds as my master copies that I then rip to flac and burn to cdr for the car so the originals and their packaging dont have to leave my house. Guess im a dork.
jbible, I love it!

I refuse to get involved with iTunes.

I like tangible materials and I've never needed to backup my store bought CD's yet.

No compressed audio for me, if I can help it.
He likes a whiskey drink, he likes a cider drink, he likes a vodka drink, he likes a drinky-drink.

blank

Post by blank » Thu May 01, 2008 8:23 pm

I buy a lot of digital stuff, without drm trough bleep and some other shop and I recently started to buy vinyl discs for home listening.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

dcease

Post by dcease » Thu May 01, 2008 10:17 pm

i only buy cd's if they are real cheap, then they get converted. all my music, in a small package? fuck cd's. i listen to my ipod for hours a day, and miss nothing in the conversion, my work truck audio is pretty shitty, but my personal car and phones reproduce the music well enough for my enjoyment, as well as being able to play my 48/24 files, like a fucking champ. do that with a cd. or how about a 200 song playlist? i fucking laugh at that shit. evolution, people. besides, i have listened to, and downloaded plenty of good sounding tracks from this forum. i have heard shit that otherwise, i never would have. plus muther fucking one billion on it.

but i'd rather sample with uncompressed :twisted: as that is what i am working with anyway...