Griffin Powermate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
furrybum

Griffin Powermate

Post by furrybum » Fri May 02, 2008 8:28 am

Anybody use one of these with live? Thinking of getting one or maybe even a couple if they're worth it.

Macbook (An old white one...WITH FIREWIRE!!!!!)
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

http://www.myspace.com/darklightuk

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:56 am

Yep.

I use it for scrolling when editing video.

It's worth it just for the cool blue pulsating LED!

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 am

Yes, great for scrolling through scenes.

furrybum

Post by furrybum » Fri May 02, 2008 10:27 am

Is it possible to click something you want to adjust then control it with the griffin? I read somewhere that it was i think. I've already got controls set up for scrolling through scenes
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Fri May 02, 2008 10:40 am

It doesn't send midi but you can assign it to send any keystroke.

furrybum

Post by furrybum » Fri May 02, 2008 10:53 am

In all honesty I'm not sure I'd find much of a use for it. I was thinking it would be cool to be able to select which fader or knob I was controlling on screen using the mouse then control it using the powermate. Seems kind of pointless though in all honesty. Think I'll just wait for the nocturn.

Thanks anyway guys!! :P
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Wed May 21, 2008 1:28 pm

I use it to turn off my mac, cause it has no keyboard...just for eye tv

marzio

Post by marzio » Wed May 21, 2008 2:58 pm

i use it to remotely control the main volume of my Apogee Ensemble.
design wise it perfectly fits with the ensemble...

guerillabass

Post by guerillabass » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 am

furrybum wrote:...... I was thinking it would be cool to be able to select which fader or knob I was controlling on screen using the mouse then control it using the powermate. Seems kind of pointless though in all honesty. Think I'll just wait for the nocturn .......
Does the PowerMate do what the Novation Speed Dial does ?

syncr

Re: Griffin Powermate

Post by syncr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Wanted to echo the last question. Anyway to get a Powermate to act like a Novation speed dial. Would consider M4L solutions.

[EDIT] Found this on SOS but would love a Live user's perspective. http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... ber=702354

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm

I just tried this with the 64bit Beta of Live 8 and it's working well!

Instead of assigning the mouse scroll, assign an up and down keystroke, respectively. Then when you click on a knob, you can use the Power Mate to set the value! The only hang-up I've found is that some parameters have such fine resolution that it takes FOREVER to scroll through to the value you want. Admittedly, I've spent about five minutes on this, so there may be a way around that, but it's working well enough for me.

syncr

Post by syncr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks Silverfish :)

After your email I thought I'd mess around a bit more this topic. I think it is worthwhile to separate what seem to be 2 modes.

1) working in a VST/AU where mouse scroll wheel works while hovering over a POT (seems to be developer dependent)
2) working in Live where you have to click on the knob and then +/- works (not mouse wheel) to set the POT value (but hover doesn't seem to work. you have to click first)

I'm hoping for a solution where I can drive the pointer location of the mouse with the right hand and use a Powermate in the left and have it do this over both Live and VSTs. Ideally, place the mouse cursor over any location and then without clicking, be able to use the Powermate to control that knob/fader. Seems like I could get that solution with most plugins, but maybe not with Live itself without third part assistance?

I don't have a Novation product with me at the moment, but main 'speed dial' feature I'm looking for is the 'activate on hover' that is described in this video http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... php?id=584

Again thanks for looking out. If you can test/confirm/or suggest any of this it would be most appreciated.

Osmose

Post by Osmose » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I use it for Zoom in/out, Transport right/left and Stop/Start. Works solid for the most part, but everynow and then it'll flake out and forget it's assigned to Ableton. This will happen on a start up and not during a session.
- All Vinyl All The Time -

"Quality Music For Forward People"