Sad state of hip hop

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
smutek

Sad state of hip hop

Post by smutek » Tue May 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Just back in the print shop listening to some of the music the printers listen to, BG, E-Class, Lil Geezy, some other bullshit out of my home town, supposed to be blowin up (lyrics: if you dont wann get murdered dont make dis a homicide!! clack clack!! clack clack!!!!) and a bunch of other bullshit.

Get money, stay strapped, blasting mutha fuckas, big cars, ho's and slingin product seems to be the recurring theme but not one of them talking about "what are we are going to do about it".

Yes, I know there's much better shit out there on indy and underground labels, I love my old school shit, and no I'm not just now noticing.

But this is the shit that tens of thousands of average joe's are bumping in my city, and probably yours.

It's no wonder people get shot around here every day.

It's a spectacle, like "professional wrestling". "Yo yo - fitty beffin wit lil wayne yo!"

It's market driven bullshit, snowballing down hill, black urban culture subverted by fat white record execs making role models out of criminals and getting rich off of it while teenagers pull the trigger on each other yellin clack clack.

:?

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue May 06, 2008 5:39 pm

PS. - hope that makes sense. Mainly killing time here at work, but this is shit I think about all of the time. Whenever I listen to this shit people are playing around here it just bums me out. Always has seemed to me that hip hop is the perfect vehicle to deliver a message of change, to inspire, enlighten, educate and organize - not just blacks and minority groups, but poor people of any race, creed color or sexual identity.

It is the perfect platform, and I think this is precisely why it is subverted and watered down. Imagine a mass culture of hiphop talking about non-violence, class inequality, wealth distribution, revolution.

Never happen.

It's such revolutionary music, but all the people get is bullshit. This is what happens when 99% of the distribution and advertising mechanisms are controlled by a handful of huge, conservative corporations.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue May 06, 2008 5:51 pm

A lot of the stuff now days should not even wear the badge of HipHop... crap rap maybe?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

lvehon

Post by lvehon » Tue May 06, 2008 6:18 pm

Check out the new atmosphere, its a much needed breath of fresh air lyrically.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't really think I can chalk it up to getting old for not liking the current state of hip hop lyrics. There's always been the factor of the older generation not getting the music kid's are listening to today but I think it has reached the height of stupidity and ignorance. For all the misunderstood music of the past I don't think there has ever been a genre that glamorized being a criminal and waste of humanity.

roby

Post by roby » Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 pm

you dont like that "smell yo dick" song?

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:37 pm

McDonalds is bullshit that's driven by marketing and accesibility (which kind of go hand in hand.)

My suggestion is if you don't like "clack, clack, clack" or smell my dick, or Big macs and value fries don't listen to it and don't eat it.

Calling out the entire Hip-Hop commuinity by posting 'sorry state of hip hop" is a bit premature and irresponsible. There's plenty of mind blowing stuff... you just need to look past the golden arches.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 06, 2008 6:37 pm

uhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm really?

I don't care about the shitty content, i mean, i fuckin love when mobb deep talks all that kind of shit. I just don't think the rapping is all that good on most of this pop stuff. Some of the production is amazing though.

but as far as comparing the state of this form of entertainment and reality, i don't think you can say "it's no wonder people get shot around here everyday." That's kind of silly. People arent killing each other because they heard a rap song about it, they're doing it because they are desperate and there are few avenues for financial gain that aren't criminal available to them. This is what happens when you take all of the money out of small cities and stick it in the surrounding suburbs and a few mega cities. Fuck it. I hope it gets worse so that we are forced to actually deal with it instead of just throwing more cops with "zero tolerance" style crackdowns at it.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 pm

fuck mcdonalds, I do choose not to consume. and fuck deep fried hip hop.

yes, obviously the new wayne album isn't the sole cause of the violence and despair in my city. I know this.

And sorr, but I don't feel irresponsible because its straight up bullshit that feeds off of and exploits the misery. In my opinion.

but fair enough. I admit that you both have valid points.

it's just frustrating.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:uhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm really?

I don't care about the shitty content, i mean, i fuckin love when mobb deep talks all that kind of shit. I just don't think the rapping is all that good on most of this pop stuff. Some of the production is amazing though.

but as far as comparing the state of this form of entertainment and reality, i don't think you can say "it's no wonder people get shot around here everyday." That's kind of silly. People arent killing each other because they heard a rap song about it, they're doing it because they are desperate and there are few avenues for financial gain that aren't criminal available to them. This is what happens when you take all of the money out of small cities and stick it in the surrounding suburbs and a few mega cities. Fuck it. I hope it gets worse so that we are forced to actually deal with it instead of just throwing more cops with "zero tolerance" style crackdowns at it.

.lm.

What??

You have just gone on record as saying you wish inner city violence gets worse? What might your suggestions be to repair inner city violence once it reaches your idea of an apex? What city do you live in? Here in Cleveland it's pretty much an escapable situation. There's hardly any cops even in the neighborhoods I'm thinking of!

I just can't wait for this wisdom...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 06, 2008 6:51 pm

trenton nj.

couple days ago: guy shot in the face 3 times at a dice game.

also, body found in canal next to where i park my car.

I say i hope it gets worse because nothing is going to be done until nice white folks with money get affected in a signifigant way. You don't think so? good for you.

.lm.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 06, 2008 6:58 pm

what do i think should be done?

first: serious tax breaks for local businesses and as many financial rewards as possible for businesses moving in. Motherfuckers need places to work. and the city needs employed people with jobs to put money back into those businesses. also, signifigant enticements for people who work in the city to live there as well. too many people work here and get the fuck out before the sun goes down, they do it to escape the violence, but they also take their money out of the community.

second: fix the fucking schools already. They are seriously fucked up. A couple of the public shools here barely have working bathrooms. I'm not kidding. fix em up, and get some more talent in here teaching. And for real, get some serious after school shit for these kids to do. There needs to be public money out there for people to run after school programs of all sorts for these kids.

third: stop arresting motherfuckers for possesion of a few grams of weed. Get the fucking guns off the street first and show no tolerence for serious gang activity. the cops are all over the place, but they are locking up more kids for smoking weed than anything else. its silly.

hows that sound for a start? guess what. none of that shit will happen,

.lm.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue May 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Nothing is ever going to be done (unless I am elected president but, I am predicting the ETs will be here before that happens) and I think you are giving far to many people far to much credit.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 pm

thelike5 wrote:McDonalds is bullshit that's driven by marketing and accesibility (which kind of go hand in hand.)

My suggestion is if you don't like "clack, clack, clack" or smell my dick, or Big macs and value fries don't listen to it and don't eat it.

Calling out the entire Hip-Hop commuinity by posting 'sorry state of hip hop" is a bit premature and irresponsible. There's plenty of mind blowing stuff... you just need to look past the golden arches.
It's very easy for a bunch of musicians and producers on a music forum to talk about better examples of music being out there, but I think a big part of the frustration is what the masses are consuming and listening to and ultimately drilling into our ears as well. It's not a matter of "if you don't like it then don't listen to it".

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:what do i think should be done?

first: serious tax breaks for local businesses and as many financial rewards as possible for businesses moving in. Motherfuckers need places to work. and the city needs employed people with jobs to put money back into those businesses. also, signifigant enticements for people who work in the city to live there as well. too many people work here and get the fuck out before the sun goes down, they do it to escape the violence, but they also take their money out of the community.

second: fix the fucking schools already. They are seriously fucked up. A couple of the public shools here barely have working bathrooms. I'm not kidding. fix em up, and get some more talent in here teaching. And for real, get some serious after school shit for these kids to do. There needs to be public money out there for people to run after school programs of all sorts for these kids.

third: stop arresting motherfuckers for possesion of a few grams of weed. Get the fucking guns off the street first and show no tolerence for serious gang activity. the cops are all over the place, but they are locking up more kids for smoking weed than anything else. its silly.

hows that sound for a start? guess what. none of that shit will happen,

.lm.

I think that's an excellent start and it's what I've been saying should be done for the last ten years. Stop fucking with Johnny dime bag. Get a gang unit together and start a real war to collect unregistered guns. Fine with it.

As far as the schools, I know what you mean. CMSD schools here in Cleveland are often in places that resemble ghetto homes vs. an actual school. Attendance keeps dropping and more kids are growing up with the notion that school is for "fags" or "bitches". Sad really.

These schools are flat out broke. Where do we get the money from to host an after school program? I used to run a performance arts venue with four of my friends called Parish Hall Cleveland, on the West side of Cleveland. We tried hosting an after school programonce or twice. We never even got the funding we applied for and were promised! We ran a circuit bending workshop and a hip-hop production workshop neither of which was attended. A couple of the kids that did attend the workshop showed up in the middle of the day about a week later and tried running of with my friend and co-collaborators G4 powerbook. I found him sulking out the door (not running, surprisingly...) with it in his coat. He told me "Jefferson" was going to beat him up if he didn't take it. He gave it back to me. Hopefully "Jefferson" is as made up as it sounded...

Anyways, yeah, after school programs are cool and all but nobody wants to fund them. We are too busy funding other countries problems to even worry about our own. I'm sure with the tragedy with the cyclone near Thailand we will dump millions in relief to them yet we waited for a few days before we did anything in New Orleans with Katrina. Lower income folk can'
t repay favors back. Thailands government can provide us with an extra military base or some other sort of export. Iraq has the oil, etc. Inner city got nothin'.

School are going to be tough. Everything else seems like it can happen relatively easy. Tax cuts for local business will come after the next election... provided McCain doesn't pull a coup and get in.

We have to start supporting our own. Inner city Cleveland is every bit as bad as Fallujah.