Sad state of hip hop

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 am

edit edit: oh, nevermind me ;)

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Thu May 08, 2008 3:17 am

If only McNulty hadn't gotten caught tampering with the homeless bodies, things would be better

-don't mean to belittle your very interesting post, but watching 5 seasons of the wire in the last 3 weeks has changed the word baltimore forever for me

crazy country you have, for better and worse. hard to comprehend the highs and lows it occupies simultaneously as an outsider......
smutek wrote:[

[rambling post warning]

I don't think you are elitist, I agree with what you are saying. The statement above is part of what I was trying to say.

What better vehicle is there to carry a real message to black people, poor people of every race than hip hop? Look at the message it carries instead.

As far as I go I don't have anything against gangster rap or hardcore shit. I love gang starr, MOP, scarface, big shug and other shit like that. Not that gang starr is gangster rap, but to me there just seems to be a difference between listening to what guys like guru, or face, or even BIGGY had to say about the situation they found them selves in, grew up in, what ever. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the shit I hear today just seems.... different.

I'm sorry I can't articulate what I am trying to say properly. It seems to me so base, thoughtless, exploitive to the point of obscenity.... And the people in these communities are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. These people are killing each other daily and it almost seems as if the culture celebrates and promotes it.

clack clack

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone black or white, but it's one thing to say this shit is harmless when you live in the burbs, or a decent part of the city, and have not really seen it.

I work right in the middle of it every day. Baltimore is a pretty violent town, and I work in one of the worst neighborhoods here. People get shot all the time. Last winter they found two bodies out back where I smoke, a week later the was a shoot out in the alley, where I smoke. 6 people shot. 2 weeks ago some kid got shot and killed right out front. The day before that some kids shot a cop. Sunday night some kid had a shoot out with the police on edmondson, right around the corner. Right up the street on brunswick, where I drive to get coffee every day, a man approached a couple and asked the woman for a smoke, woman said no, man pulled out a gun and killed her.

One of the guys I know at work, smart kid. Here's the conversation I walk in on today,

"yeah yo, my man %%%% he robbed him and took his shit! even took his gun. niggah shot him, robbed him, and picked up his gun off the street"

"that niggah wild yo, he a terrible niggah"

"haha, thats ma niggah though"

They aren't talking about lil wayne or some shit either. They're talking about a friend of theirs. Cats that hang out around my work. People I work with. Otherwise decent people. They're never going to leave the ghetto.

Fuck man?

Fucking depressing, this shit. I'm white but I've been around a little bit. I didn't get my life together to be around this shit every day. Who the fuck knows when one of these escalades or what the fuck ever is going to stop out back and some kids are going to jump out to light up these guys I work with? Maybe I'll be out back smoking and catch one too.

Fuck. And all I see is red every where. Red shirts, red rags, bandanas, hats, drive across town and it's blue. Drive down town and people are going on with their every day normal lives, as if 75% of this city isn't a war zone. As if it isn't getting worse.

Serious man, I hate to sound like a fucking drama queen, but it's bad. It's really bad, and it's getting worse. I look around at all this shit and ask myself, "why the fuck?" I agree with lvehon, I think people are products of their environments, I really do. But why are these people killing each other day in and day out?

I'm just getting tired of it, this shit everyday, and I walk in the back and all I hear is some "clack clack" bull shit on the radio.

I'm a little more sensitive to it probably because of where I work. I've got an interview next week, will be glad once I get the fuck out of there. I'll still feel the same though, just because of what I've been through, seen and done myself. I've seen the worst of it.

Sometimes I wish I were born a clueless white person.

[/rambling post warning]

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu May 08, 2008 9:11 am

We've still got all that to look forward to(!) in the UK. We got it on nowhere near as grand a scale as you have - trouble is - youts here look to the US and copy. So as it gets gorse there, it gets worse here...

Trouble is - as it got more prolific, it got even more embraced! As it was being shown up how bad it was, more motherfuckers got involved!

Fuckin' bonkers.

Modern "rap" HAS to take some of the blame. (Like before, there is DEFINITELY a difference between "rap" and Hip-Hop. To me "rap" is a dirty word. I refuse to even capitalise that bitch).

softserv

Post by softserv » Mon May 12, 2008 5:37 pm

To answer your question one of the most sought after producers in the hip hop underground and above ground is

white

Scott Storch <- check him out on the google button[/quote][/quote]

softserv - you are a donut.[/quote]

What is a donut?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 pm

a pastry with a glazed hole.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 12, 2008 5:49 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:a pastry with a glazed hole.

.lm.
a leisuremuffin
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon May 12, 2008 5:55 pm

where is TITBAG? He's always trying to glaze my hole, then he gets all shy when I tell him to do it.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:10 pm

softserv wrote:To answer your question one of the most sought after producers in the hip hop underground and above ground is

white

Scott Storch <- check him out on the google button

softserv - you are a donut.

What is a donut?
fyi you got your quotes wrong - I wasn't the one who called you a donut

this is the original post as it was written - it's on page 3 - please learn to use the quotes correctly, thanks
Patch wrote:
softserv wrote:So, a poll: of all the commerical hip-hop producers out there, what percentage would you say are white? I honestly have no idea. I assume that many, if not most, of the major label execs are white, but in terms of producers I was under the impression many if not most were black.

And I'm talking the radio stuff, not more indie or underground. Again, a question.
djadonis206 wrote:To answer your question one of the most sought after producers in the hip hop underground and above ground is

white

Scott Storch <- check him out on the google button
softserv - you are a donut.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon May 12, 2008 8:30 pm

Adonis! How you gonna dime a brother out?!?

[softserv is a donut, though... :wink: ]

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Ok, I'll concede softserv is the derogatory version of "the donut"

that'd have to be one nasty donut though 8O
Ableton | Elektron

Music

softserv

Post by softserv » Tue May 13, 2008 1:45 am

I know some of you got shoved into one too many lockers in junior high and are now enjoying your backsies by playing beavis and dickead, but I asked an actual question about hip-hop production, which doesn't make me any form of breakfast treat. Do you actually make any music and/or have any wisdom to impart, or are you just adept at using the quote function on the ableton live forum?

softserv

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 am

softserv wrote:Do you actually make any music and/or have any wisdom to impart, or are you just adept at using the quote function on the ableton live forum?

softserv
I'll let you figure that one out for yourself

and

I answered your question in my first post - Scott Storch...google it
Ableton | Elektron

Music

softserv

Post by softserv » Tue May 13, 2008 2:00 am

Yep, he's one white hip-hop producer. My question was whether there are many, or few. Still don't know.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue May 13, 2008 2:16 am

Assuming you had the ability to come up with the correct racial distribution of hiphop producers

What would you do with the information?

softserv

Post by softserv » Tue May 13, 2008 2:27 am

First I would use it to mentally process the original post, which included a comment about fat white record execs making role models out of criminals. I wanted to know if there were lots of white producers the way there are lots of white execs.

Second I would use it to inform a paper I'm revising on the use of Indian samples in hip hop.

I don't assume you can come up with a precise racial distribution among producers. Just a general idea.