Sad state of hip hop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tytus

Post by Tytus » Wed May 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Sleep Tyght, preach on brotha.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Sleep Tyght wrote:If an Asian parent allowed his/her child to sit around watching an updated '70s style Jerry Lewis take an Asian stereotypes....
Dude. Sounds like a fantastic new fucking comedy, and a show I'd dare not miss! I might even add that fucker to my Tivo Season Pass list!

Sleep Tyght wrote:If a Hispanic family allows their daughters to continuously watch programs and listen to music where Latinas are only depicted as hot blooded, drama endulging, sex crazed bitches then guess what????

omfg. That's basically, well, EVERY show on Telemundo. I'm not sure what version of Telemundo that you get, but in my version every fucking chick on every fucking show (except for the cranky Mother or Mother In Law. There's always one or two that show up each hour) is a hot blodded, drama endulging, sex crazed bitch. Just sayin. Christ, even the news women are sexed up. 8O :lol: :lol: 8O

About the only show in which the female latin character ISN'T all sexed up is Dora The Explorer. But those shorts of hers are getting a litttttle bit tighter every year... Brrrrr.

And honestly, would we have it any other way?? I think not.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 08, 2008 12:19 am

Sleep Tyght wrote:
So fucking what if I'm offending black people??? Black people offend themselves everytime they turn the channel to that coon ass network. Tell me when was the last time BET taught a black child to keep her heads in the books and out from in between of some rappin' ass nigga's legs?

Since when in the last 10 years have you seen BET promote conscious thought and making good judgments as opposed to getting that money by any means necessary even if it degrades you, your family, community, and race as a whole?

typical hood coonery.

the truth has no regard for who is telling it. ........speak on it.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 08, 2008 12:30 am

Sleep Tyght wrote:Just wanted to post this as yet another example of what might happen when you don't raise your kids right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iprUJeDEXUo

it just broke my heart when the reporter got to the end of that shit and said the police want to get him into the system.
I just cannot explain in words how that makes me feel.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 am

leisuremuffin wrote:
Moody wrote:Which station is White Entertainment Television on?
i don't know the name of the station, but i hear that it plays 24/7 inside your ass. You must get to watch a lot of it.
oh SNAP!

I lolled, fo sho.... ahem.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 08, 2008 12:39 am

starving student wrote: I just cannot explain in words how that makes me feel.
Please try, I'd like to crack one off before bed time.
spreader of butter

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 08, 2008 12:39 am

but this breaks my heart too. while i'm laughing

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Pl6McNOsc

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 am

b0unce wrote:
starving student wrote: I just cannot explain in words how that makes me feel.
Please try, I'd like to crack one off before bed time.

fuck you bounce i'm going to kill you in my next song :lol:

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 am

Sleep Tyght wrote:Tell me when was the last time BET taught a black child to keep her heads in the books and out from in between of some rappin' ass nigga's legs?
[rambling post warning]

I don't think you are elitist, I agree with what you are saying. The statement above is part of what I was trying to say.

What better vehicle is there to carry a real message to black people, poor people of every race than hip hop? Look at the message it carries instead.

As far as I go I don't have anything against gangster rap or hardcore shit. I love gang starr, MOP, scarface, big shug and other shit like that. Not that gang starr is gangster rap, but to me there just seems to be a difference between listening to what guys like guru, or face, or even BIGGY had to say about the situation they found them selves in, grew up in, what ever. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the shit I hear today just seems.... different.

I'm sorry I can't articulate what I am trying to say properly. It seems to me so base, thoughtless, exploitive to the point of obscenity.... And the people in these communities are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. These people are killing each other daily and it almost seems as if the culture celebrates and promotes it.

clack clack

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone black or white, but it's one thing to say this shit is harmless when you live in the burbs, or a decent part of the city, and have not really seen it.

I work right in the middle of it every day. Baltimore is a pretty violent town, and I work in one of the worst neighborhoods here. People get shot all the time. Last winter they found two bodies out back where I smoke, a week later the was a shoot out in the alley, where I smoke. 6 people shot. 2 weeks ago some kid got shot and killed right out front. The day before that some kids shot a cop. Sunday night some kid had a shoot out with the police on edmondson, right around the corner. Right up the street on brunswick, where I drive to get coffee every day, a man approached a couple and asked the woman for a smoke, woman said no, man pulled out a gun and killed her.

One of the guys I know at work, smart kid. Here's the conversation I walk in on today,

"yeah yo, my man %%%% he robbed him and took his shit! even took his gun. niggah shot him, robbed him, and picked up his gun off the street"

"that niggah wild yo, he a terrible niggah"

"haha, thats ma niggah though"

They aren't talking about lil wayne or some shit either. They're talking about a friend of theirs. Cats that hang out around my work. People I work with. Otherwise decent people. They're never going to leave the ghetto.

Fuck man?

Fucking depressing, this shit. I'm white but I've been around a little bit. I didn't get my life together to be around this shit every day. Who the fuck knows when one of these escalades or what the fuck ever is going to stop out back and some kids are going to jump out to light up these guys I work with? Maybe I'll be out back smoking and catch one too.

Fuck. And all I see is red every where. Red shirts, red rags, bandanas, hats, drive across town and it's blue. Drive down town and people are going on with their every day normal lives, as if 75% of this city isn't a war zone. As if it isn't getting worse.

Serious man, I hate to sound like a fucking drama queen, but it's bad. It's really bad, and it's getting worse. I look around at all this shit and ask myself, "why the fuck?" I agree with lvehon, I think people are products of their environments, I really do. But why are these people killing each other day in and day out?

I'm just getting tired of it, this shit everyday, and I walk in the back and all I hear is some "clack clack" bull shit on the radio.

I'm a little more sensitive to it probably because of where I work. I've got an interview next week, will be glad once I get the fuck out of there. I'll still feel the same though, just because of what I've been through, seen and done myself. I've seen the worst of it.

Sometimes I wish I were born a clueless white person.

[/rambling post warning]

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:19 am

I found this article interesting - actually I find everything by Thomas Sowell very interesting...you might agree with him

26 April 2005

Crippled by Their Culture

By THOMAS SOWELL

For most of the history of this country, differences between the black and the white population -- whether in income, IQ, crime rates, or whatever -- have been attributed to either race or racism. For much of the first half of the 20th century, these differences were attributed to race -- that is, to an assumption that blacks just did not have it in their genes to do as well as white people. The tide began to turn in the second half of the 20th century, when the assumption developed that black-white differences were due to racism on the part of whites.

Three decades of my own research lead me to believe that neither of those explanations will stand up under scrutiny of the facts. As one small example, a study published last year indicated that most of the black alumni of Harvard were from either the West Indies or Africa, or were the children of West Indian or African immigrants. These people are the same race as American blacks, who greatly outnumber either or both.

If this disparity is not due to race, it is equally hard to explain by racism. To a racist, one black is pretty much the same as another. But, even if a racist somehow let his racism stop at the water's edge, how could he tell which student was the son or daughter of someone born in the West Indies or in Africa, especially since their American-born offspring probably do not even have a foreign accent?

What then could explain such large disparities in demographic "representation" among these three groups of blacks? Perhaps they have different patterns of behavior and different cultures and values behind their behavior.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:20 am

There have always been large disparities, even within the native black population of the U.S. Those blacks whose ancestors were "free persons of color" in 1850 have fared far better in income, occupation, and family stability than those blacks whose ancestors were freed in the next decade by Abraham Lincoln.

What is not nearly as widely known is that there were also very large disparities within the white population of the pre-Civil War South and the white population of the Northern states. Although Southern whites were only about one-third of the white population of the U.S., an absolute majority of all the illiterate whites in the country were in the South.

The North had four times as many schools as the South, attended by more than four times as many students. Children in Massachusetts spent more than twice as many years in school as children in Virginia. Such disparities obviously produce other disparities. Northern newspapers had more than four times the circulation of Southern newspapers. Only 8% of the patents issued in 1851 went to Southerners. Even though agriculture was the principal economic activity of the antebellum South at the time, the vast majority of the patents for agricultural inventions went to Northerners. Even the cotton gin was invented by a Northerner.

Disparities between Southern whites and Northern whites extended across the board from rates of violence to rates of illegitimacy. American writers from both the antebellum South and the North commented on the great differences between the white people in the two regions. So did famed French visitor Alexis de Tocqueville.

None of these disparities can be attributed to either race or racism. Many contemporary observers attributed these differences to the existence of slavery in the South, as many in later times would likewise attribute both the difference between Northern and Southern whites, and between blacks and whites nationwide, to slavery. But slavery doesn't stand up under scrutiny of historical facts any better than race or racism as explanations of North-South differences or black-white differences. The people who settled in the South came from different regions of Britain than the people who settled in the North -- and they differed as radically on the other side of the Atlantic as they did here -- that is, before they had ever seen a black slave.

Slavery also cannot explain the difference between American blacks and West Indian blacks living in the United States because the ancestors of both were enslaved. When race, racism, and slavery all fail the empirical test, what is left?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:20 am

Culture is left.

The culture of the people who were called "rednecks" and "crackers" before they ever got on the boats to cross the Atlantic was a culture that produced far lower levels of intellectual and economic achievement, as well as far higher levels of violence and sexual promiscuity. That culture had its own way of talking, not only in the pronunciation of particular words but also in a loud, dramatic style of oratory with vivid imagery, repetitive phrases and repetitive cadences.

Although that style originated on the other side of the Atlantic in centuries past, it became for generations the style of both religious oratory and political oratory among Southern whites and among Southern blacks -- not only in the South but in the Northern ghettos in which Southern blacks settled. It was a style used by Southern white politicians in the era of Jim Crow and later by black civil rights leaders fighting Jim Crow. Martin Luther King's famous speech at the Lincoln Memorial in 1963 was a classic example of that style.

While a third of the white population of the U.S. lived within the redneck culture, more than 90% of the black population did. Although that culture eroded away over the generations, it did so at different rates in different places and among different people. It eroded away much faster in Britain than in the U.S. and somewhat faster among Southern whites than among Southern blacks, who had fewer opportunities for education or for the rewards that came with escape from that counterproductive culture.

Nevertheless the process took a long time. As late as the First World War, white soldiers from Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky and Mississippi scored lower on mental tests than black soldiers from Ohio, Illinois, New York and Pennsylvania. Again, neither race nor racism can explain that -- and neither can slavery.

The redneck culture proved to be a major handicap for both whites and blacks who absorbed it. Today, the last remnants of that culture can still be found in the worst of the black ghettos, whether in the North or the South, for the ghettos of the North were settled by blacks from the South. The counterproductive and self-destructive culture of black rednecks in today's ghettos is regarded by many as the only "authentic" black culture -- and, for that reason, something not to be tampered with. Their talk, their attitudes, and their behavior are regarded as sacrosanct.

The people who take this view may think of themselves as friends of blacks. But they are the kinds of friends who can do more harm than enemies.

Mr. Sowell, the Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, is author, most recently, of "Black Rednecks and White Liberals," published this week by Encounter Books.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 08, 2008 1:26 am

re: the youtube video of that 7 yr old joyrider. the kid seems about 20 times smarter than the people posting video responses. If you're looking for social commentary look no further than those mongs
spreader of butter

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 am

djadonis206 wrote:The counterproductive and self-destructive culture of black rednecks in today's ghettos is regarded by many as the only "authentic" black culture -- and, for that reason, something not to be tampered with. Their talk, their attitudes, and their behavior are regarded as sacrosanct.

The people who take this view may think of themselves as friends of blacks. But they are the kinds of friends who can do more harm than enemies.
+1

The elephant in the room that nobody wants to ever speak of is the fact that most people are ignorant, selfish herd-mentality drones who go through life eager to take the easiest, most comfortable route. This fact transcends all racial, social and economic backgrounds, though the resulting outcomes from this behavior obviously vary wildly depending on each situation. But the end result is always one of more division and seclusion, as each group mostly wants to stick to "its own kind", even though what defines one's "kind" is usually unimportant to the follower. In fact, most never even ask that question of themselves.

It might come across as sounding elitist, but that's the way it is IMO.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 am

do you think that kid would not have stolen that SUV if Portishead's new album was any good?

music doesn't kill people.
I kill people.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz