Midi Focus Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
esmooov

Midi Focus Issues

Post by esmooov » Wed May 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi guys,
I just got an mpk49 to control my ableton and Im lovin it. However, I have one question. Is there anyway that I can assign the same knob to several different controls on different tracks so that knob will only affect the track I have selected. Say for instance i have three tracks with beat repeat on them and instead of assigning three different switches i just have on master beat repeat triggering switch which will make whichever track I have enabled start to repeat but not the other ones also assigned to that switch. Is this possible?

esmooov

Post by esmooov » Wed May 07, 2008 8:36 pm

anyone?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed May 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Uhh, yeah. Just assign the controls normally. It should automatically add the parameters to the control you want to assign.
Also, when you go into MIDI map mode you can edit the assignments.

esmooov

Post by esmooov » Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 am

well i have no problem adding the parameters to the control. my issue comes about because i only want the control to affect the track that is currently selected. like say i assign knob 1 to the volume of track 1 and the volume of track 2. i want it to only affect track 1's volume when i have track 1 selected and visa versa with track 2. currently if i do this when i turn the knob both tracks change in volume. It may seem that i should just assign different knobs but say for instance im in a big set and i want to always have knob 1 control attack for the selected instrument, knob 2 decay, knob 3 sustain, knob 4 release. i would like to be able to use the same four knobs but only affecting the currently selected instrument

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu May 08, 2008 4:00 am

Nope.

Some clip properties can be mapped like this, but for the majority: Negatory.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu May 08, 2008 6:37 am

well... you can jerry rig some stuff using mackie control protocols but it's kind of tedious to set up. theres a fair bit of info in this thread:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=namihei
even if it is mainly for the bcr2000 oyu might be able to set your controller up that way.

there was a guy on here that made a vst that let you assign stuff on your controller in it to output mackie control, but i can't find it with a quick search... if i find it i'll let you know.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 am

You could assign a different midi channel to each track.

I'm not familiar with the mpk49 but on my keyboard (an old evolution kbd with dedicated buttons for midi channel) its quick and easy to change the midi channel it is transmitting on.

That way you could assign the same knob or fader to each of the things you want to tweak in each track (ie volume, attack decay etc) and use midi channel 1 for track 1, channel 2 for track 2 and so on.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed May 14, 2008 5:44 am

Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

three

Post by three » Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 am

The other option is to use 2 knobs, one for a selector chain and the other to modulate the parameter. There's no good way as far as I know for Live to announce a track selection - there no MIDI message for that. If the controller supported patch switching on MIDI Input
- and Live can somehow announce that over MIDI. It could be done with one button.

I just looked at Live quickly, and unless there's a trick that I'm not seeing it's not going to output anything when you select tracks.

What you can do in that case is make an effect rack with however the same number of chains as tracks that you want to control the beat repeat. Then drag the beat repeats in and hook up the inputs and outputs.

When they're working individually go into the chain settings, and you can bind the chain selectors all to a macro. You can then automate thet macro with your MIDI controller. So you have one pot to choose the active plugin, and a second one to modulate the plugin itself.

Set the second one up the same way, with the modulation parameters you want on each beat repeater. (Remember you can map the MIDI to have different amounts of effect on each control it's mapped to. So a quarter turn could be a whole filter sweep on one instance of your plugin, and just a subtle hundred hertz on another.

Hope that helps,