best Apple item ever...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 am

been busy hacking away at a autohotkeys script for this. The little (fn) key can be used on XP, too.

One of the things I really like about the current apple keyboard layout is key commands like cmd+s, cmd+a etc. so I've moved my ctrl key there. Noice!

CR78

Post by CR78 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:54 am

This keyboard fits perfectly on the flat upper right surface of a Novation Remote SL61.
Midi/Keyboard Map heaven. ;)

three

Post by three » Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 pm

I use this keyboard exclusively, and I LOVE it to pieces.
doc holiday wrote:kinda cool, but it sure is missing a lot of keys
Depends how you look at it. It's a laptop keyboard, so if you switch from a Macbook/Macbook Pro to this keyboard and back, you don't have to get used to the other keyboard much.

Chris

misteron

Post by misteron » Sat May 17, 2008 1:28 am

Machinate wrote:I would say that keyboards without numberpads are, in general use, a LOT more ergonomic than regular keyboards, in that switching from 2-handed typing to mousing+modifier keys (the most normal big action there is) has been shortened from my now deceased logitech 104-key to the apple bluetooth number here by roughly 20 centimeters. The motion is really fluid now.
To be exact; the size of the motion between typing and mousing is not the problem.

Ergonomics is concerned with fitting the system / environment / tool 'to the person and task'.
Or as wiki puts it
"Ergonomics is the scientific discipline concerned with designing according to the human needs"
(As a side point here, the only truly ergonomic tool is one which can be adapted eg. a height-adjustable desk.)
Most people experience RSI as a result of mouse-clicking, or typing, which require only tiny movements and no large movement of the whole arm as is the case with moving from a keyboard to a mouse situated past a number pad.

A therapist and ergonomic consultant who was treating my RSI asked me.
"What would be the most 'ergonomic' location for your printer when you are typing facing the screen?"
"In the next room" was the correct answer.

misteron

Post by misteron » Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 am

To add to my above post:
If a lot of mousing needs to be done (parameter editing etc), either using a shorter keyboard or simply moving the keyboard slightly to the left (we're talking right-handed mouse operators obviously) has the same effect - allowing the user to operate the mouse at a more neutral position.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat May 17, 2008 5:26 am

misteron wrote:To add to my above post:
If a lot of mousing needs to be done (parameter editing etc), either using a shorter keyboard or simply moving the keyboard slightly to the left (we're talking right-handed mouse operators obviously) has the same effect - allowing the user to operate the mouse at a more neutral position.
I'm not exactly sure what your position is there, but yes, that is what you get with a short keyboard. It's great.

Funny, though, I had a tiny bit of recurring RSI, and this was caused by improper seating, which caused the wrist to be slanted oddly.

misteron

Post by misteron » Sat May 17, 2008 9:41 am

Machinate wrote:I had a tiny bit of recurring RSI, and this was caused by improper seating, which caused the wrist to be slanted oddly.
Yup. To go deeper, posture is basically always the problem that renders small repetitive movements dangerous.
Glad you sound like you're over the RSI, that's good news.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat May 17, 2008 3:42 pm

misteron wrote:To add to my above post:
keyboard slightly right and a trackball!

the trackball helps me keep that wrist movement down. I can hardly use a mouse anymore I've been using a ball for so long!

beatpoet

External Hard Drive

Post by beatpoet » Mon May 19, 2008 6:52 am

edit:

Wrong thread