MaxMSP thread. Here.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

MaxMSP thread. Here.

Post by Machinate » Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 pm

since we tend to pollute threads with discussion of maxMSP/Jitter cycling74 stuff, I thought it would make sense to collect stuff here.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon May 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Max 5.0.2 is out now.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 pm

when the Max guy was doing his presentation at NAMM at the Ableton booth he asked people all these questions about people using Max. I consistantly raised my hand as a yes response to his questions.

I'm an idiot. I thought he meant Macs. I've never used Max in my life.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I would be interested to see any patches some of the gurus have made to interact with Live. I have just been working in Max for about a year and a half and I'm starting to work on ways I can use Max to fill in the holes where Live (or any sequencer for that matter) comes up short with regard to realtime manipulation of live audio and other trickery that can be imagined.My first school project was a system that let you write a midi performance into a table and then play it back at different speeds, transpositions, inversions, and in retrograde. I did this because I've never found a way to do this live with single phrases in a sequencer. Now the next step is how to make these tables interact with what's going on in Live. One idea I had is a table of midi data could be saved and then somehow saved as multiple midi files with different parameters changed (transposition, inversion, etc.) and then somehow sent into the session view in Live. Any conceivable way? Anything close?
Unsound Designer

forge

Post by forge » Tue May 13, 2008 3:18 am

beats me wrote:when the Max guy was doing his presentation at NAMM at the Ableton booth he asked people all these questions about people using Max. I consistantly raised my hand as a yes response to his questions.

I'm an idiot. I thought he meant Macs. I've never used Max in my life.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a similar thing happened when I was asking a university lecturer if they used Max on their computational arts course, he said 'yeah we have a few' :lol:

he must have thought I was some kind of fanboy

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 am

i'm using max/msp from a few months now, i went to a course,
i've learn many things but there are still a lot i have to master.
You can do almost everything audio/video with it,
unfortunately it requires so much TIME to study and learn!!!

Another thing...i expected to find a community that shares patches,
so i could open them and learn how to build and modify, like i do with reaktor.
But with max seems that what is shared are mainly objects or libraries,
i found really few completed patches, so for me building one from zero is ever more difficult.

spkey

Re: MaxMSP thread. Here.

Post by spkey » Tue May 13, 2008 8:36 am

Machinate wrote:since we tend to pollute threads with discussion of maxMSP/Jitter cycling74 stuff, I thought it would make sense to collect stuff here.
Isn't the 'General' category for general discussions?

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Tue May 13, 2008 9:33 am

spkey wrote:
Machinate wrote:since we tend to pollute threads with discussion of maxMSP/Jitter cycling74 stuff, I thought it would make sense to collect stuff here.
Isn't the 'General' category for general discussions?
What Machinate means is that there's a tendency to write more general Max/MSP/Jitter related stuff in other threads that are not about Max/MSP/Jitter stuff. See for example this thread which I pollute with strange topics such as the Max/MSP/Jitter tutorials lacking pictures (which I found out later they did not) though the OP (a k a you :) ) maybe did not intend for such a discussion. Thus, a more general Max /MSP / Jitter thread could prove useful.
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

spkey

Post by spkey » Tue May 13, 2008 3:18 pm

frahnque wrote:What Machinate means is that there's a tendency to write more general Max/MSP/Jitter related stuff in other threads that are not about Max/MSP/Jitter stuff. See for example this thread which I pollute with strange topics such as the Max/MSP/Jitter tutorials lacking pictures (which I found out later they did not) though the OP (a k a you :) ) maybe did not intend for such a discussion. Thus, a more general Max /MSP / Jitter thread could prove useful.
yes. shame on you! polluter.

sp.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue May 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Does anybody still have 4.6 installed on a pc? I require your aid!
I cant find a single max user I know that hasn't upgraded to Max 5 yet.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 13, 2008 4:25 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Does anybody still have 4.6 installed on a pc? I require your aid!
I cant find a single max user I know that hasn't upgraded to Max 5 yet.
then why do you need 4.6 users? screw 4.6 :)

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Max5 doesn't overwrite 4.6. I still have 4.6 on my HD, eventhough I program in MAX5 only now.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue May 13, 2008 4:36 pm

I just need to find somebody who has a few minutes to build a pluggo and a standalone application. It's a little tool I wrote for using the BCR LED's as a volume meter.
Sure, the Max 5 version of this plugin will be more sexy.. But who knows how long it'll be until they finish Pluggo 4.
If you can help, send me a PM.
If you cant help, post a Max 5 patch.

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 pm

I would love someone to build, or point to an already built, Max object that will allow me to output mouse and keyboard output on my Windows xp machine. Anybody?

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 pm

i would love to see more (some/any) video tutorials for Max MSP (particulary 5). As good as i think the new tutorials are i still think i learn the basics a lot better from a person showing me whats what.. I know that MAX isn't like photoshop or even live, but i still think Video tutorials would be very valuable to me (and i'd be willing to pay).
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer