MaxMSP thread. Here.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stutter

Post by stutter » Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Nobby, if you spend a day working through the tutorials in the manual, and have a project you're interested in completing and have some idea of how to go about it, then i think you'll find you can learn Max pretty quickly. I love video tutorials, but I really can't imagine watching Max ones being owt but frustrating.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 13, 2008 7:46 pm

nobbystylus wrote:i would love to see more (some/any) video tutorials for Max MSP (particulary 5). As good as i think the new tutorials are i still think i learn the basics a lot better from a person showing me whats what.. I know that MAX isn't like photoshop or even live, but i still think Video tutorials would be very valuable to me (and i'd be willing to pay).
IMO videos won't help.

I took a small max class last year, like you say, it was great to have someone show me the extent of max, msp and jitter, I got the '10,000 foot view' but because there are literally at least 5 ways to tackle every project, there's no one way to show someone how to use max.

I was the only person doing the 'homework' and I was the only one who learned anything in that class. the rest sat there and watched the teacher make stuff but they absorbed nothing. by the end of the class I was the only one who could do the homework and follow what was going on.

there are some good basic tips such as
- loadbang
- the preset object (looks like a waffle)
- making sub-patches

stuff like that. if I wasn't at work and had time I could post examples of how to use those, maybe I will later.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

i think its partly to do with the fact that i've recently got my head into Quartz Composer, which seems very logical to me now (and i got a few great starting pointers from some great screencasts), but Max seems a bit more low level and hence confusing.

I need a very empty weekend and no hangover to deal with (not a prolific mixture for me) to get me into the correct frame of mind.
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer