Upgrade from 4.14 Live 7????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Henry Robinett

Upgrade from 4.14 Live 7????

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 pm

I've been an inactive Live user. I thought I might try it again. I have Live 4.14. What does Live 7 give me over 4? I know that's several upgrades inbetween.

I'm not so interested in Operator and the drum stuff. Is time stretching improved? I was upset that time signature was unchangeable.

Thanks!
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Mac Pro 7,1 16 Core 160GB, MP 5,1/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6) ULN-2
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 12, 2008 10:19 pm

hundreds of changes.

download the demo.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 pm

timestretching - complex mode added (questionable benefit) *elastique efficient*

time signatures - now changeable/automatable in Live 7 in arrangement mode :)

Many new features - heck - drum racks, slicer, new improved compressor (with sidechaining), improved audio and MIDI engines, Device Groups (L5) and the more flexible and expandable racks (L6), beat repeat, saturator, instrument and effects racks. This list is far from complete, just came to memory.

Optional - The SUite instruments (Analog, Tension, Electric, Operator, Sampler and Drum Machines), EIC and EIC2 (came with boxed versions of L6 and L7 respectively, sample library for use in Simpler/Sampler etc.

With all the extra features, you will need a fairly powerful computer to run Live 7 as opposed to the more minimal Live 4.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Tone Deft wrote:hundreds of changes.

download the demo.
No hints? Anything you find most useful? I'd rather get user opinions than just downloading the demo, if you don't mind.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 pm

I gave you some hints !! I've only been using Live since Live 6 and already there are plenty of changes.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 pm

leedsquietman wrote: With all the extra features, you will need a fairly powerful computer to run Live 7 as opposed to the more minimal Live 4.
You can see my computers in my signature. Not powerful enough?

Time stretching questionable improvement? Sounds intriguing.

Time sig changes sounds great.

I'm not too interested in the IV stuff that comes with Live -- maybe. That's why I'm trying to decide if I'm going to upgrade.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 12, 2008 10:38 pm

lazy, huh?

they took away the EDIT button and put it back, racks, drum racks, time sig changes, dual core support, sidechaining, video export, slicing, dozens of features.

the 'auto vocalist' is great, takes ANY song and gives you the raw vocals.

if you have the money and like Live, it's a no brainer.

it has nothing to do with Operator although that's been improved, some instruments have a 'high quality' setting.

your computer looks great.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Tone Deft wrote:lazy, huh?

they took away the EDIT button and put it back, racks, drum racks, time sig changes, dual core support, sidechaining, video export, slicing, dozens of features.

the 'auto vocalist' is great, takes ANY song and gives you the raw vocals.

if you have the money and like Live, it's a no brainer.

it has nothing to do with Operator although that's been improved, some instruments have a 'high quality' setting.

your computer looks great.
Yeah, I'm lazy. But also user feedback of folks who've had their hands on it is often a better indicator of a short ride on a demo.

Thanks for the feedback.

So basic functionality has improved?

I'm not exactly in the category of one who LIKES Live, yet and still. But I'm willing to keep trying.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 12, 2008 10:51 pm

on a higher level... the even numbered releases tend to be more stable and complete. 5 introduced more features but Live 6 was what 5 should've been in terms of how solid it felt. 7 introduced lots of new features but people seem to bitch about it more (works fine on my machine, probably on yours.)

IMO everyone should use Live, even your mom, she still into gabba?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 12, 2008 10:57 pm

Your laptop might not take too many tracks/plugins but your dual G5 should be fine. I see you run Digital Performer as well. What does that give you that you really like ? (being curious, not sarcastic with this) and Live and DP should rewire up very well.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon May 12, 2008 11:04 pm

I love DP. But I'm slow to upgrade. I was on DP 4.61 until this week when I upgraded to 5.13. I don't upgrade until I see a reason for it. Same thing with Reason 4. I was on 3 until last week as well. I use it as a rewire device. As you can see, I'm kind of bringing things up to speed. I suspect I'll be doing the same Rewire thing with Live/Reason.

I've been using DP since version 2.7 and Performer since version 1.2, back in '85. So it's like an old comfortable shoe to me. I know it backwards and forwards, which accounts for an awful lot when you're in a creative flow.

I forgot to add Logic 8 in my signature!

I'm a performing musician, so I envision using Live in this manner, rather than as a compositional tool.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon May 12, 2008 11:43 pm

I've been using Live since version 3, and I'll say that 7 is lightyears ahead of 4.
Also, you'll probably see a performance increase on your dual-core machine since 7 can make use of both processors. AFAIK, 4 doesn't.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue May 13, 2008 1:24 am

Thanks everyone! Now I'm trying to decide on various upgrade paths. There's just the Live version, or there's the one that includes the Session Drums/Drums Machines, or the Suites. Anyone care to try and talk me into any more than the basic Live?

I know it's very convenient to have Drums inside the app. But I'm figuring I have enough VIs, DP and Logic and Reason as Rewire devices, I don't think I'll need the various VIs inside Live.

Any counter arguments, suggestions?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm

I went with my original and just got the Live 7 without anything else. Since I have Logic 8 and all those Loops and various other software VIs, I can drag and drop those into Live. I tried it on 4.14 and all seemed OK.

Downloading now . . . .
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Tue May 13, 2008 5:28 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Your laptop might not take too many tracks/plugins but your dual G5 should be fine. I see you run Digital Performer as well. What does that give you that you really like ? (being curious, not sarcastic with this) and Live and DP should rewire up very well.
I'm not sure I answered this -- I mainly do live audio engineering. I record live bands, audio studio recording. When I write music it's mainly with a pen and paper or in Sibelius, then I have musicians read it and record it. I do SOME "midi", VI, sampler Live, Logc 8, Loops stuff and want to do more, but I dislike the time it takes to do somethings over the immediacy of having a great musician play it.

DP works beautifully for me. My goal for Live was to have it as a 5th or 6th musician on stage, but so far it hasn't worked out well for me.
All the best,

Henry Robinett