Learn Ableton Options Suggestions

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
onebluesphere

Learn Ableton Options Suggestions

Post by onebluesphere » Tue May 13, 2008 11:28 pm

What do you think is better for Ableton learning? , On-line courses like the ones at Berklee and PointBlank or CD courses like Ask Video, MacProvideo, Lynda.com etc...
I know many will suggest actually using Live, but I do not have much time for that (just a weekend hobby) and prefer something oriented, like when I was in school a long long time ago.

Thanks for your help! :D
Mac mini, Ableton Suite 9, Reason 6, Push, Axiom 49, t.c.electronic desktop konnect 6 audio interface, KRK Rokit 5.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 pm

get online with all the youngsters and hipsters ydontya...

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue May 13, 2008 11:48 pm

mtm focus-live, and of course, the built in tutorials, various videos on this site, and you tube, and this forum... i leafed thru the mtm live issue at barnes and noble, seems good for learning.

what's up, dotty? :D

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 pm

chillin'
like Bob...
Drunk as asdf

three

Post by three » Wed May 14, 2008 3:04 am

despite the fact that you ruled out the correct answer in the question, the answer is by actually using live.

if you don't have a lot of time to do so, you need to focus during that time.

the first relevant question is: are you a musician? (or have you made music before.)

if so, then there's a lot a music theory you don't need etc.

No matter what, assuming you want to make music that someone sameday with shake their ass to, your next stop is beat town.

Go find two or three tracks you like, sit down with live, and try to copy them. it's going to be really hard. But there is no way to learn more faster than by trying to reproduce other people's work.

Then, either get a book or use the live manual or use online sources to start working on the individual elements.

I came to electronic music a while back having played jazz trumpet for a number of years. That was the time that I realized how little attention I had been paying to drummers over the years. Of course, you hear whether the beat is tight, but there's a whole science to beats and drumming that... luckily you don't have to learn! but you should try and get a handle on what makes up a basic beat in whatever genres you listen to, and get to the point where you can sit down, open up a random drum kit, and lay down a beat that neither a) deviates too far from the norm for that genre, i.e. no waltz-time-sounding-extra-beats in your house track, nor is the same as the beat you laid down last time you sat down in the studio.

the next job is to attain some level of proficency with synthesizers, if you don't already have. Personally, I would suggest getting a separate synth plugin. I can recommend NI's FM8 very highly (or if you're on a budget you can pick up FM7 on ebay - that's a classic synth as well. With synthesizers you're in The Land of Piano and Bass for a while.

It'll go faster than you think if you take it in chunks like that and don't sit down and try and write a hit record on day one - or after two weeks. You can waste _months_ just sort of noodling around, learning the software, but not getting inside it.

The only way to get inside is to divide and conquer, take the instruments separately until you feel like you can make the sounds you want to have come out of them.

I don't mean to be overbearing, but if you haven't done much music before, sitting down and producing a track is something you'll need to figure out a method that works for you in order to do. (If you are from a musical background, you don't any help anyway - live works the way musicians think)

Cheers,

Chris

onebluesphere

Post by onebluesphere » Wed May 14, 2008 6:12 am

Thank you all for your suggestions! :)
Mac mini, Ableton Suite 9, Reason 6, Push, Axiom 49, t.c.electronic desktop konnect 6 audio interface, KRK Rokit 5.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 am

watch all these
http://www.ableton.com/movies
with Live open, play along.

the tips n tricks sticky is a great guide to see how far out Live can get.

do you do midi or record guitar or just like to goof off with music/audio?

keep the help box open in the lower left corner of Live, it's an outstanding way to learn.

ask short and to the point questions, lots of help here.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Wed May 14, 2008 7:04 am

click the link in my sig! ;-)