Live in OSX window question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jekblad

Live in OSX window question

Post by Jekblad » Thu May 15, 2008 7:00 pm

You know how you can set the default window size of the finder by opening one, resizing it, then closing it right after?

I want to do this with Live. I have a tiny portion of the screen it's not taking up and bugs the crap out of me. I've tried resizing and saving it as the template set, but that doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is OSX or Live either you know? I'm on Leopard and Live 7.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

fstfrwrd

Post by fstfrwrd » Thu May 15, 2008 7:13 pm

alt + F11 ?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu May 15, 2008 7:15 pm

thats for "fullscreen" which eliminates the "File/edit" menu commands.

Good thought though
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

fstfrwrd

Post by fstfrwrd » Thu May 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Jekblad wrote:thats for "fullscreen" which eliminates the "File/edit" menu commands.

Good thought though
you don't need those very often, do you?
and if you do, just use the shortkeys and change it back once you're done. very quick and effective.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 pm

What I do is simply dragging the right corner of the Live window (down) to cover the whole screen. :D

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 am

im sorry but if you dont know the shortcut keys then please do spend some time learning them..

there very easy and youll save hours moving your mouse around the screen
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

Machinesworking

Re: Live in OSX window question

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 16, 2008 3:37 am

Wow? Bagel, Atomikat, if you don't know the answer to the question, then don't reply. If you don't understand the question, or haven't read it carefully enough, then please, don't reply, or at least admit you do not understand. Read this again, and notice that both of your replies are whack!
Jekblad wrote:You know how you can set the default window size of the finder by opening one, resizing it, then closing it right after?

I want to do this with Live. I have a tiny portion of the screen it's not taking up and bugs the crap out of me. I've tried resizing and saving it as the template set, but that doesn't work.

Jekblad, sorry I don't know the answer to this.

Now see? that wasn't so hard was it guys! :P

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri May 16, 2008 4:03 am

Back to the subject of Fullscreen, on my old Powerbook cntrl F11 used to toggle it but on my new MB no key shortcut seems to work. Any ideas why?

And for the OP, sorry, I don't know the answer to your question either.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Fri May 16, 2008 4:13 am

dazzer wrote:Back to the subject of Fullscreen, on my old Powerbook cntrl F11 used to toggle it but on my new MB no key shortcut seems to work. Any ideas why?

Did you try going into the macbook system preferences, keyboard, and then clicking the box to enable F1-F12 as standard keys?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 am

willdahbe wrote:
dazzer wrote:Back to the subject of Fullscreen, on my old Powerbook cntrl F11 used to toggle it but on my new MB no key shortcut seems to work. Any ideas why?

Did you try going into the macbook system preferences, keyboard, and then clicking the box to enable F1-F12 as standard keys?

That works. You can also use the fn key in the far left corner of the keyboard, it toggles the preference settings, making fn + cntrl F11 work.... :wink:

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri May 16, 2008 5:52 am

@ OP - sorry to hijack the thread!

@ willdahbe - cheers, I'll give it a try, assuming that after I do it F11 on it's own will still control volume, F1 brightness, etc.

@ machines - cheers too, if the above doesn't achieve it, I'll try the 3-key combo

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri May 16, 2008 8:42 am

Jekblad wrote:You know how you can set the default window size of the finder by opening one, resizing it, then closing it right after?

ha ha, i know exactly what you mean... Live seems to remember the window sizing, sort of... it's always a little bit too small though...

yeah of course you can resize the window by hand, but it gets rather tedious having to do it every single fuckin time you open a Live set...

sorry, don't know a solution... i reckon it's a Live bug... does it in Tiger all the time...

NativeOps

Post by NativeOps » Fri May 23, 2008 5:30 am

yeah, i noticed that the F11 fullscreen shortcut didn't work. then i realized i have to hold the function (fn) key to make it work. but i haven't tried it on a macbook yet.
Those who speak, don't know.
Those who know, don't speak.
http://nativeacoustics.com/

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri May 23, 2008 6:27 am

Same happens here on Tiger.
I would say it's a Live bug, all other applications windows including some freewarez act like you'd want. This also makes me crazy. Good to know I'm not alone. Have you filed a Support Request to the Abes?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Fri May 23, 2008 3:24 pm

Just to be sure, have you tied the 'maximize/zoom' (the green circular one) button? I find this gets the window to take up all available space.
You can actually access the menu bar in full screen mode by pressing Control + F2 (and Function, depending on your settings)