How bad is the tinnitus?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DrXparaMental

Re: How bad is the tinnitus?

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Zygi wrote:meh, my ears ring all the time, and i can also hear frequencies a lot above all my friends ( in my age ofc).

maybe i'm not right, but isn't tinnitus concerning only the ringing? if you can't hear some frequencies, it's probably not the tinnitus, but something else that damaged your hearing.

correct me plz, cause i'd love to know how to get over the ringing
My ears have rang all my life and can remember them ringing before I was 5 years old.

I have no doubt that I damaged my hearing throughout my life via loud music and pneumatic tools, etc. In fact, I am certain I did because I had them tested. However tinnitus for me was there before I did the damage. I am pretty certain tinnitus, or at least certain forms of it, are hereditary.

Tinnitus for me, cycles. My ears will ring for 2 or 3 days and "peak" in ring volume. Then they won't ring at all for a couple of days. This condition is not aggravated or effected by sounds in least.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 am

I have noticed that my tinnitus gets worse if I tweak synths with headphones on. (BTW I always put a limiter on the track if I do this). So I have resolved to only do synth parameter tweaking listening over the speakers.

My theory is that when you listen to the synth like this you are getting a lot of energy at a relatively narrow band of frequncies and it is continuous. (unlike a piece of mixed music) so it is relatively more damaging... as I said in an earlier post on this thread, the other time it got bad was when I sat next to someone who played piccolo.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 am

I used to love silence, and back home, there was this one spot in the forest where everything
was completely silent - to the extent that you'd be scared if a bird chirped. Wonderful spot.
I used to love silence - before I got tinnitus. Now I'm almost afraid of silence, cause that's
when I notice that horrible ringing in my ears. Usually, there's enough background noise, but
when I go to bed at night and when I get up in the morning, it's there.

Oh, and that spot in the forest is no longer silent anyway; half the woods have been levelled and
replaced by houses.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:00 am

Don't have ringing, but had ear infections as a little kid, which left me with a hole in each ear. Normally not a problem, but occasionally high frequencies like refracted sound off a wall at a club etc. will make my ear rattle like a broken speaker, or a bee is in it.
Often wondered if that's a reason certain pop and underground bands mixes sound awful to me? They layer high frequencies to sound 'fresh', and mess up the overall mix. I know Pink Floyd and other brutally perfect mixes don't bother me....

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:52 am

What!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:14 pm

i laugh at funerals.
*** Image GAFM ***

Eraldo Bernocchi

Post by Eraldo Bernocchi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Mine was really bad. It started in 2005. Suddenly. As Robert Henke wrote, there's a lot of stress involved in this nightmare thing. At that time my father was diagnosed cancer. One morning I woke up and my ears were ringing with high frequencies (something around 6 to 8 k). Since that day there's no place for silence in my life. I live in the country so you can imagine how loud I can ear that ringing. Every time I go to a city it gets better just because it's hiding behind other noises. The first year has been horrible, then you get used to that, in a way. Since then I protect my ears also in the studio. I work at low volume etc etc.
In the past I wasn't using any protection and after more or less 100 records done and countless gigs...well my earing is pretty much messed up.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Rave wrote:
Ball Sack wrote:What!
Dick! The joke isn't even original.
I bet you laugh at funerals too and point and snigger at people with disabilities.
I bet your mother laughs at the fact she doesnt even know who the father is.

LOL
What!