Ableton upgrades - best installation process?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbenigni

Ableton upgrades - best installation process?

Post by mbenigni » Fri May 23, 2008 2:43 pm

OK, so here's the dumb question for the day. I've been running Ableton (albeit casually) for years and I still don't have a clue about this.

Everytime Abe releases a new revision, even a minor one, and I install it, I wind up with a whole new installation on my harddrive, in a brand new directory. I can see how this would help the pros and performers that don't want to risk finding new bugs hours before a show or whatever... but for my purposes it just adds to the confusion of Ableton's already complex file system. I kind of wish they'd just release patches for minor revisions.

So everytime I see a new release, I wonder - do I first uninstall the old then install the new? If I install the new first, am I subsequently safe to install the new? Will they both reference the same library? Or am I at risk of losing presets, clips, even projects, when I delete the old version?

I could probably figure this out on my own, but it would literally be weekend's worth of trial and error - and of course backing up first in case the outcome were negative. I won't be offended by references to the manual if they're specific and relevant. Direct answers are also appreciated! :)

Thanks, guys. Next week I'll tell you all about how I still don't understand the way Live saves my projects...

jok

Post by jok » Fri May 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi,

the preferences of an older version of Live are handed over automatically to any newer version you install: so the same Library will be referenced and all your other settings in Live will remain untouched.
So you can uninstall/delete older versions of Live with no problems.

Best,

Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri May 23, 2008 3:23 pm

one thing to beware of is that if you upgrade a Live 6 library when installing Live 7, the new library is not backwards compatible with Live 6...

so dupe the library first if you want the option of using 6 & 7...

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm wondering about the same question at the moment, having 5 or so different versions of Live installed, because I am afraid to loose something.

I am on Windows XP, and I do not know if I can trust the uninstall-process there? Can the registration really distinguish between the versions?

Sorry for asking the same question again, but perhaps the OS makes a difference?
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!