velocity editor

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Helicopter Steve

velocity editor

Post by Helicopter Steve » Sun May 25, 2008 12:42 am

Hello all, I must be doing something wrong with the velocity editor. I can adjust the markers, no problem, but the adjustments seem to have no effect on the dynamics in playback. I am editing midi that I imput using GPO. I also tried using the draw tool along with the ctrl key to change groups of notes. The adjstments remain visually apparent, but again, no change in actual volume during playback.
Has anyone else had this or a similar problem?

Thanks, Steve

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 25, 2008 12:45 am

what instrument are you adjusting? can you post a small .als for others?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Sun May 25, 2008 12:46 am

what instrument?

is velocity enabled as a modulator on the instrument?

do you have a velocity plugin on the channel processing velocity?

Helicopter Steve

velocity editor

Post by Helicopter Steve » Sun May 25, 2008 1:57 am

Hmmm, ok I'm betraying more ignorance here. What is a .als?

The project is a midi orchestral score that I played in to Live using GPO/Kontact player and a microKorg. The interface is a MOTU microlite. I have tried adjusting the violin, horns, bass, but all have the same results. I'm just using the MIDI editor to correct balance issues. I am familiar w/ Reason and assumed this would be similar..and it is as far as the layout and technique go. But obviously I'm missing something. The manual doesn't indicate anything about enabling. Is that something that would involve the MOTU?
Thanks folks

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Sun May 25, 2008 7:00 am

velocity doesn't automatically effect volume.

for instance, in GPO, you use the Mod Wheel to control playback volume.

Helicopter Steve

velocity editor

Post by Helicopter Steve » Sun May 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Ok, I misunderstood the velocity editor. I did use the mod wheel for volume adj while playing and I thought I could adjust individual notes that came out too loud due to, say hitting the key too hard while recording the midi. Is there any way to do that, or do I have to punch in and redo those sections where the volume is off?

Helicopter Steve

velocity editor

Post by Helicopter Steve » Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Never mind, I see what the problem is...adjusting instruments w/ a long-ish attack time i.e. violin, horn... a very subtle change. I tried it on tympani and the result was immediately apparent. All good.