Elektron Machinedrum... anything similar for less$$$$?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
soundwave

Elektron Machinedrum... anything similar for less$$$$?

Post by soundwave » Mon May 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi All,
just saw this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtxX0VEp ... re=related
Just love that one!! And was wondering if anyone knows something similar in that vein...
Something with sounds inside, sequencer,something you can play (also) just with headphones, what machines are there on the market?
Thanx
Familiarity Breeds Contempt

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Mon May 26, 2008 6:32 pm

there are other drummachines out there, but none do what this one does. Maybe the onlything comparable in terms of hands on editing and playing might be the Linndrum II Analog, but it's pricey as hell. http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/linndrum2/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 am

Yeah, the reason people are willing to pay so much for a Machinedrum is that it more or less does things no other instrument does. Certainly not one that's cheaper. Maybe a Korg ESX with the right samples would be close, but I can't think of anything else.

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Tue May 27, 2008 12:52 am

SimonPHC wrote:Maybe the only thing comparable in terms of hands on editing and playing might be the Linndrum II Analog, but it's pricey as hell.
:!:
that's a lot of speculation for just one sentence.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue May 27, 2008 1:28 am

Having had my MD-UW MKII for a couple of weeks now, I can say that I've never used anything like it, and I've had my hands on most contemporary synths and drum machines. The modulation options and beautiful sounding synth engines in it are, IMHO, unparalleled in flexibility. I love the fact that I can turn a hi hat into a melodic sound with very little effort. Things like that keep me interested in writing music, especially when I am suffering from the doldrums of dragging little bars around on the computer screen.

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Tue May 27, 2008 1:37 pm

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm

garyboozy wrote:
SimonPHC wrote:Maybe the only thing comparable in terms of hands on editing and playing might be the Linndrum II Analog, but it's pricey as hell.
:!:
that's a lot of speculation for just one sentence.
Yes I know :oops: but having owned both a MPC and an Evolver, I dare to put $5 on it. Please Dave and Roger, do it right.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue May 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote: Things like that keep me interested in writing music, especially when I am suffering from the doldrums of dragging little bars around on the computer screen.
exactly the reason i have been considering one myself.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm

gomi wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote: Things like that keep me interested in writing music, especially when I am suffering from the doldrums of dragging little bars around on the computer screen.
exactly the reason i have been considering one myself.
Having never used trackers in any serious way, the song mode on the MD has been a real eye-opener. It is pretty efficient, and the few things you can do with it allow for some interesting compositions. I've gotten to the point where I just write in song mode and record the whole thing into Live as one giant waveform. From there, I do the things I really enjoy about live, i.e. adding effects, rearranging beats, sequencing melodies, etc.

good luck with your decision,

- Nick

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 27, 2008 3:06 pm

I just bought a Korg EMX-1 for that reason too, sometimes I just need to get away from computers to make music.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue May 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:I just bought a Korg EMX-1 for that reason too, sometimes I just need to get away from computers to make music.
Thanx for that, Tarekith, X-actly my sentiments...
Do you find that machine great? Sequencing, sampling, etc? Something you don't like? or wish it had?
I just downloaded their manual so I have to read it ...now
Thanx alot to EVERYONE for your posts, much appreciated.
It is very helpfull to get some first hand EXP advice.
BTW what is the dif. btwn EMX-1 and ESX-1???

Cheers
Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed May 28, 2008 2:10 am

ESX is a sampler with drum, keyboard, slice, stretch parts and EMX is a rompler drum machine combined with 5 mono synth engines.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 am

I love the EMX actually, I'm a huge fan of grooveboxes and this is definitely one of the best I've used. It doesn't do sampling, but other than that it has a lot of depth. I was put off for a long time as I thought it was a rather limited synth, but it has a lot more depth than I expected. Definitely read the manual before you buy though, so you'll know exactly what it can and can't do. This track was done entirely on the EMX:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=puled

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed May 28, 2008 2:36 am

I can't think of any hardware that compares to the machine drum when I try to, I think you'd have to go with a combination of different machines to get similar results and even then you'll be hardpressed.

have you tried microtonic vst? it's not anywhere near a machine drum but it's pretty badass. in my opinion it's THEE best drum synth vst.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 28, 2008 2:40 am

If we're talking plug ins, Ultrabeat in Logic 8 would be my closest guess, though microtonic is wicked cool too. UB loads samples, has parameter locks now, and the new x0x method of doing patterns is really nice. That said, it's GUI is something you have to grow to like, not exactly going to win any awards with that one.