Best Tape Delay Plugin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kingrad

Post by kingrad » Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 am

I will oblique strategies, it might take a while with some other family commitments looming and full time work but will do.

[/quote]

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 am

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu May 29, 2008 7:55 am

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu May 29, 2008 10:21 am

kingrad wrote:I will oblique strategies, it might take a while with some other family commitments looming and full time work but will do.
[/quote]

Thanks Kingrad! No rush, it will be good to hear your findings whenever you are able to post them.

I love a good delay effect, so thanks for drawing attention to Logic's.

I have Logic Express (or whatever they call it), but haven't hunkered down to figure it out yet. Maybe I should dig in & check out the delay -providing it is included in my version.

kingrad

Post by kingrad » Thu May 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Me too oblique strategies. Grew up on a diet of dub reggae

We were graced in Sydney last weekend with Horace Andy and Luciano. I dont know who the guy was behind the mixing desk but he was a genius!

Logic hasnt been on pc for a long time so the version must be years old by now.

and Meef Chaloin, nice work on the reggae track and thanks for those links, I was unaware of these.

kingrad

tape delay test

Post by kingrad » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Ok so I checked out as many as I could. Unfortunately a lot are pc only or dont work with the Intel Mac yet. I think they require a universal binary?.

Had a look at the dubscrolls site - great website, seem to be pc only effects but heaps of good stuff on there anyway

Couldnt check out Bunky Freaks recommendations but will drag out the pc laptop and have a look

Project 1 tape delay at KVR was pc only too

Smart Electronix Analog Delay - unfortunately no universal binary for intel macs

Timeless - I have had this one for a while and its an amazing effect. I need to spend some more time learning to use it properly, some tmes the resonance sounds too harsh, but it makes some beautiful sounds

Echo Boy is really expensive, would love to try a demo

August loop made some great sounds, looked a bit technical for the time poor and the interface was ugly. Will need to spend more time with this one but could be interesting.

Of all the delays that were instantly accessible and sounded great it was the Audio Damage Dubstation that was a delight to use, it is not expensive either. I wish it had a freeze function like the delay in Ableton. There is a preset on there called dig my hats. Turn on the loop and the reverse buttons and you get some great sounds, nice and simple.

The Doctor Device is fun too but doesnt sound like a tape delay to me, just a good effect in its own right.

Thanks for the suggestions. I discovered the UAD RE 201 needs a UAD card so have passed on the idea for a little while yet.

Best regards

Jon

nate_D

Re: tape delay test

Post by nate_D » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:55 pm

kingrad wrote: Of all the delays that were instantly accessible and sounded great it was the Audio Damage Dubstation that was a delight to use, it is not expensive either. I wish it had a freeze function like the delay in Ableton. There is a preset on there called dig my hats. Turn on the loop and the reverse buttons and you get some great sounds, nice and simple.
just picked this one up a couple of days ago and i give it 2 thumbs up. it's really easy to get what you want out of it. i've got all the midi functions assigned to a controller and now it's a permanent fixture in my starting template. 8)
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

dr.wackler

Re: tape delay test

Post by dr.wackler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:58 pm

kingrad wrote:I discovered the UAD RE 201 needs a UAD card so have passed on the idea for a little while yet.
Check the Space Echo emulation in Guitar Rig. Very nice!

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:34 am

morerecords wrote:the logic tape delay was ported to vst by someone at the dubscrolls site... I thnk it was one of intercpetor's free plug ins, I bet a little research and you could find it.try ewither dubscrolls.com or .net
Interruptor? http://www.kvraudio.com/get/891.html
"A plugin for all ex-Logic-user who miss the logic tape delay, brought to you by www.echochamber.ch and www.interruptor.ch"

And by the same guy, even better: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/892.html
and: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/745.html

Some other ones too, still by the same guy, on the left side of the kvr page.
All his delays have wow and flutter.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:36 am

Oops :oops: sorry, didn't see this one! :roll:

+1

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 am

One of the best I have used was actually made as a bunch of plugins in live on a return ith the return sending to itself.

Use a compressor in there to compensate the signal level for freeze like behaviour.

The big advantage is you can stick whatever plugins you like in there to get the exact tonality you want.

Otherwise my favourite is fabfilter timeless.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:12 pm

djsynchro wrote:UAD RE 201 is amazing.
agreed, this is one of my favorite tape sims.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:07 pm

This one is pretty nice...great playabillity...thanks!

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 pm

ok, this one is not VST, but i talked with The Bug the other day about this little device and he said it's great:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/RE-20/index.html
he uses one and he said Kode 9 is using one.
i'll definitely buy one 'couse it sounds great and costs only 200 euros. great for the live gigs and great toy to have in the studio. ;)
w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

os

Post by os » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:06 am

Khazul wrote:The big advantage is you can stick whatever plugins you like in there to get the exact tonality you want.
You can now do this with Augustus Loop:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/9382.html