DAW Shootout - pretty interesting.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kenporter
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: 5,660 miles from Ableton HQ

DAW Shootout - pretty interesting.

Post by kenporter » Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 pm

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shoot ... ummary.htm

Apparently I went from the highest scoring DAW to one of the lowest scoring DAW's; and man, am I glad I did... :)

Ken

doc holiday
Posts: 1683
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:49 am
Location: NOW

Post by doc holiday » Wed May 28, 2008 9:59 pm

yeah, and the midi setup in ableton is so hard :roll:

gomi
Posts: 1133
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: earth

Re: DAW Shootout - pretty interesting.

Post by gomi » Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 pm

kenporter wrote:http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shoot ... ummary.htm

Apparently I went from the highest scoring DAW to one of the lowest scoring DAW's; and man, am I glad I did... :)

Ken


whoever made that chart is a moron.

nf0
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:34 am

Post by nf0 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:53 pm

hahaha.. Live 7 is worst for loops and remix!!!! :oops: :roll:

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: DAW Shootout - pretty interesting.

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 pm

gomi wrote:whoever made that chart is a moron.
I'd be curious about why, I've only used Live for years and years.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jlgrimes
Posts: 1513
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Post by jlgrimes » Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 pm

Whoever did that post has little clue on what Live is about.

But then again they compared it against other typical DAWs which Live is behind in some areas,

But then again they said that Live did have "Clip muting" which isn't really true if you are looking for Sonar/Pro Tools type clip muting.


That list also downgraded some of Pro Tools good points like Audio Editing. Any time you are going by just one person's opinion there is going to be some bias (positive and negative).

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Wed May 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Normally we use the top of the line product in these comparisons.
Pro Tools 7 LE/MP
$249
:?: :?:

man what is with the colours on that site??? whenever I see anyone trying to pass themselves off as a legitimate business with a website like that I usually just close the tab

[edit] :oops: I just realised they do tutorial videos - so I guess that makes them a competitor! These were genuine comments about the site, not just slagging off the opposition! :lol:
Last edited by forge on Wed May 28, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bensuthers
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:51 am

Post by bensuthers » Wed May 28, 2008 11:52 pm

interesting the way that nobody in the 'industry' (by which I mean professtional DAW product marketing industry) gets Live's interface methodology.

kenporter
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: 5,660 miles from Ableton HQ

Post by kenporter » Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 pm

forge wrote:
Pro Tools 7 LE/MP
$249
:?: :?:
I think he's referring to Pro Tools M-Powered.

I think Live may be behind in some areas compared to other DAW's but imho it's so far ahead when it comes to workflow and inspiration. To me those are the most important aspects of making music. Everything else is easy. ;)

Ken

condra
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Post by condra » Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 am

kenporter wrote: it's so far ahead when it comes to workflow and inspiration. To me those are the most important aspects of making music.
Inspiration - I agree 100%

Workflow - No way IMO. Live is still far too mouse orientated in general, and editing in Arrangement view is painfull compared to Sonar/Cubase.

Live has session view. Thats what sets it apart the most as far as Im concerned. Only for session view, I would be a Logic user.

kenporter
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: 5,660 miles from Ableton HQ

Post by kenporter » Thu May 29, 2008 12:20 am

condra wrote:
Workflow - No way IMO. Live is still far too mouse orientated in general, and editing in Arrangement view is painfull compared to Sonar/Cubase.
Heh, I disagree. :) I've set up a template with all sort of key functions that I start out with. Also, you could use a program like QuicKeys to make your custom key commands for some macros. I know 3rd party software, but it helps getting rid of clicking the mouse. And again, you can do a lot of things by creating a template using the key command assignments in Live. Took me a while until I set it up. Now I don't look back...

inmazevo
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:44 am
Location: P.N.W.

Post by inmazevo » Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 am

I've always viewed the Digital Music Doctor "shootouts" as completely arbitrary interpretations, with quite a bit of preference thrown in on top: hence, useless.

Take the UI bit, where Sonar and Logic Pro are concerned:
Never thought the UI of Sonar was very good (it's not horrible, but it's no excellent, IMO), and though the UI of the new Logic Pro is quite different from past versions, it (like Live) has the "I can make all the stuff on the top, left, right and bottom disappear," which Sonar doesn't have. It's important for me to have that type of control over my real estate, and yet Sonar gets a 4.9 and Logic Pro gets a 3.3?! Live gets even worse... a 2.8!! WTF. In Sonar (which I have and like, BTW), I can change colors... yippee (a good thing, but far less important to me than real estate management.

And Live 7 gets a 4.7 for instruments/rewire, when (frankly) it's default version doesn't have anything I consider just incredible, and can't play 3rd party instruments when rewired... yet Sonar and Logic Pro (in particular) get a 2.9 and 3.1 respectively. I'm not a big fan of Sonar's built-in instrumentation, and even Logic Pro's gobs of them are getting a bit dated in some cases, but the score difference just seems pulled out of thin air... was it that Live can be rewire slave AND master, or something? And why are soft synths and rewire grouped together like they're inherently related?

I've used half the apps on the list, and honestly think those shootouts are horrid.

- zevo
Last edited by inmazevo on Thu May 29, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinite density, zero volume

adventurepants_
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 am

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu May 29, 2008 12:51 am

what absolute gibberish. escept for the value for money bit. Live is way expensive.


I think 70% of made up statistics are as significant as any of their conclusions.

stonee
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am
Location: halifax, NS Canada
Contact:

Post by stonee » Thu May 29, 2008 3:08 am

daws are like cars. not everyone likes the same car, or uses them for the same thing.
try driving your kids to soccer in a porche...

different daws suite different people's needs. comparing them is dumb.

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Thu May 29, 2008 3:30 am

adventurepants_ wrote: I think 70% of made up statistics are as significant as any of their conclusions.
38% disagree. 60% are undecided and the other 2% think you suck! :lol:

Post Reply