Fatboy Slim is a great producer...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:32 pm

hambone1 wrote: Some DJs act like they're virtuouso musicians, when they're nothing more than cheerleaders reproducing somebody else's music!
haha love that comment

D K

Post by D K » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Zimovane wrote:
he's laughing all the way to the bank....
No, actually he's laughing at you for buying into the illusion.

Are you people really as dumb as you make out?

Don't answer that...
not as dumb as you, since we're saying the exact same thing.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:43 pm

hambone1 wrote:I don't categorize those who produce and perform their own original music as DJs. They're more musicians in my book, although the distinction can get blurred.
if they dj on stage they are a dj
(looks like duck, must be a duck)
hambone1 wrote: But what I DON'T get is why anyone would want to 'see' a DJ. Talk about 'hype'!
like i said, you obviously haven't seen anyone who is actually good.
Thats understandable.. it's really hard to find anymore.. there are no standards.

there are cats out there that really throw down. they bring the energy much higher then some christ posing throw your hands in the air sucker.

soul.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:48 pm

have you ever been to see a band that's totally improving. no one knows what direction they are going to go not even the band. maybe some great jazz.. everyone is just playing their soul out.

compare that to the band that plays only the songs from their latest album pretty much in order and thats it.

live music should be just that live.

i'll admit i'm a bit jaded from all the consumer crap that gets forced down your throat here in the usa.

nate_D

Re: Fatboy Slim is a great producer...

Post by nate_D » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 pm

doc holiday wrote:
Verbal wrote:..but he's a joke as a DJ.

Encore is playing a movie of him DJing called Big Beach Boutique. I've caught about 4 mixes and each one isn't a mix. He just slams into the next track and quickly fades the last.

I can't believe he'd DJ in front of 10's of thousands of people and do that bullshit. Pathetic.

they've jacked the art so far out now days skills dont count
fbs great tracks indeed.. never a mix.. lots of wrecks

hambone.. you're a different kind of dj
beatmixing can be an art believe it or not.. i'll cut your son in pieces with some wax.
oh well.. no one notices as the scene is so diluted with dj's that dont mix.

..to all those who say it's only the good tracks that really matters..
you can both play good music..and rock that shit at the same time, don't settle for less.

but i guess millie vanillie was great also

the world is full of BSr's.. and they are all laughing there way to the bank!
all you people saying the real mix doesn't matter can spin stories as good as ole gwb! thats the kinda shit he says to get his way around here.
exactly...
honestly, i've seen tons of headliners that either a.)can't mix on measure or b.)train wreck their asses off the entire hour they play. and the fanboys always think you're the one who's whack/jealous for pointing it out.
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:35 am

doc holiday wrote:why is demanding quality entertainment insecurity?
the real dog and pony show is lip syncers and fakers who some how make it to the top.

all the best dj's i have ever seen produce great music also.

the fact that you'll argue skill is not important just shows you have never really seen anyone play with amazing talent.

there is a difference and we should demand it

crap like britney spears is not the direction we need to head. but it is the scenario many describe here.

go see new kids on the block, the whole place will be dancing and screaming.

if that's what your into so be it. it's not for me.

don't believe the hype!
I concur and fuck "show business" it's about music. Fatboy slim has made some good songs, he just needs to step up his performance.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 am

really? i think his tracks are shit too.

it's called an opinion, and we're all entitled to one without having fingers pointed at us from smug little cunts saying "you're just jealous"

no we're not, we just like different shit. you might think what i like is garbage.

"the dj's job is to rock the crowd..." ---says who? I like to see dj's that play some really deep and innovative shit that takes it beyond the records sometimes, and it doesn't have to "rock the crowd" to be great. if the crowd was always right, scooter would be the best available music in the UK.

in conclusion, you can all go fuck yourselves, no exceptions. and make sure you have a cold glass of water when you're through.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:53 am

leisuremuffin wrote:really? i think his tracks are shit too.
+1

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:11 am

Verbal wrote:
chalkline wrote:What you also got to remember is that big beach boutique was a free party, so he made no money from ticket sales! I was at that gig and it was madness, that many people in brighton was just crazy.
Ok he would have made a fair penny from the album and dvd sales and other merch but he put hus hand in his pocket to pay for the clean up of the beach, and it really was in a state!
The main thing is that even if he didn't beat match, there was around 250,000 people dancing to him on that beach, and they were there because of him, so that has to say something!!!!
And I'm willing to bet that 75% of those people there thought he was playing Live and had no clue he was just playing records. The same type of person that says "Hey, play some <insert DJ here>" and don't understand that they just play other people's music.
25% of 250k is 62,500.
if 62k people came out to see my show AND these people had a very good idea of what I do, I'd think pretty much what I do "Rocks" and what commenters chat about "doesn't really matters". That's just me (and my imaginary 62.5k fans).
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:58 am

leisuremuffin wrote:really? i think his tracks are shit too.
Alright i respect that opinion, as long as you respect others might like the stuff. Not just because its fatboy slim but because we actually enjoy the music.

Jonny B

Re: Fatboy Slim is a great producer...

Post by Jonny B » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:49 am

Verbal wrote:..but he's a joke as a DJ.

Encore is playing a movie of him DJing called Big Beach Boutique. I've caught about 4 mixes and each one isn't a mix. He just slams into the next track and quickly fades the last.

I can't believe he'd DJ in front of 10's of thousands of people and do that bullshit. Pathetic.
Ive seen fatboy slim live, and ok he might be the best at beat matching be he knows damn well how to please the crowd with his tunes and stage presence alone.

End of the day if the day if 10's of thousands are coming to see him hes doing something right and he knows it.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:46 am

If norman can rock a crowd......no mather how he do that......

Simple like that !!

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 am

i am definitely an admirer of the technically proficient DJ.

but there are also DJs out there that you know are just going to entertain you.. let your hair down and have some fun, mixes be damned. i'm sure ol' norman is one of those DJs.

and many of 'those' DJs got to be so by having a hit record or three, not by being a DJ's DJ. so what.

but his tracks still suck. =)

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:01 pm

you suck too

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm

doc holiday wrote:like i said, you obviously haven't seen anyone who is actually good.
Thats understandable.. it's really hard to find anymore.. there are no standards.
That's the point. Why would anyone (other than perhaps other DJs in the audience) want to 'see' a DJ?

I can understand going to see musicians perform, but a DJ?