google analytics

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:18 am

hoffman2k wrote:Not a coinky dink - Just you who found another topic to be a bitch about.
actually, it's just you who found another one of my threads to bitch about me in. :roll:
hoffman2k wrote: And the Electronic ID is mandatory... You get fined for not having it on you.
Yes, but the owner of the ID is aware he has an ID. It's mandatory, but also done with the owner's knowledge and effectively a form of consent when compared to covert, unsolicited data-mining.
hoffman2k wrote: The funny thing off course is the fact that you want to play this one out as a "big corporation" collecting your data. While you're going to be typing on an OS (regardless which one) that sends/asks update info and such from the manufacturer on regular basis.
'play this one out' ?
I'm aware of the implications of using my OS, I don't need to be reminded by you.
OSX and GOOGLE are two very different entities as far as I'm concerned. Through using their OS or owning their hardware, apple might know a little about me...stuff I know that they know, info I'm aware they've collected. GOOGLE collecting data via my usage of ableton.com ? ...lol, who knows what exactly is being collected and/or how it's going to be used. Targetting me with ADS ?...no thanks. So far, despite using OSX, I haven't been invaded by ADS. It's only when using the net and google that such invasions of privacy seem to arise...
hoffman2k wrote: Not to mention that all your medical data is stored on a server that could always be hacked. Along with police records, school records and work history...
Yep, I'm aware of this too. What's your point exactly ? First of all you'll have to assume I'm all in favour of those databases if you think you're going to catch me in some logical trap for being suspicious of google-analytics.com, secondly that would be a piss-poor comparison.
hoffman2k wrote: Hell, my medical records are on a chip like my ID.

This topic is just a whole lot of getting pissy about nothing. "Businesses" install it to see which sections of their website are more popular. Thats pretty much the only argument you have.
Only one getting pissy so far is you, it's been quite civilized till you arrived old bean. As I've said, the 'businesses' are just one party in this data exchange, google is the one of most concern. get it?
hoffman2k wrote: Man, if you're worried about google.. Research what the MPAA, Sony, Waves, Cyber Police and copyright infringement bounty hunters can do to collect your data.
Install something like Peer Guardian to get an idea of how many corporations are trying to access your computer each and every single day..
Again, what's your point here ? can we stick to google-analytics.com or are we going to compare it to the CIA etc until it can be seen as comparatively benign ?
spreader of butter

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 am

edited
Last edited by GUY SMILEY on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 am

You see no correlation between google collecting data and all your public personal records being available for anybody who can hack?

It is benign and its right in the open. Its been discussed and analyzed. And all the worst case scenarios have been suggested.
To think that google could get away with anything "evil" is just plain naive.
Microsoft gets sued every other week over here in Europe. Same goes for google for that matter...

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 am

hoffman2k wrote:You see no correlation between google collecting data and all your public personal records being available for anybody who can hack?
I see a flimsy, strained connection.
Don't you see any difference between a huge internet corporation with an endless supply of 'legal' data-mining opportunities & a massive emphasis on advertising/marketing.... and 'somebody who can hack' into your PRIVATE personal records ?
hoffman2k wrote: It is benign and its right in the open. Its been discussed and analyzed. And all the worst case scenarios have been suggested.
To think that google could get away with anything "evil" is just plain naive.
Microsoft gets sued every other week over here in Europe. Same goes for google for that matter...
define evil, :roll:
define function creep

again, just want to reiterate the fact that so far in this thread it's only online retailers who have been passing google-analytics.com off as benign.
spreader of butter

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:11 am

b0unce wrote:again, just want to reiterate the fact that so far in this thread it's only online retailers who have been passing google-analytics.com off as benign.
Encore! Encore! :lol:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:17 am

so I take it you have nothing quasi-sensible to say in response to this:
Don't you see any difference between a huge internet corporation with an endless supply of 'legal' data-mining opportunities & a massive emphasis on advertising/marketing.... and 'somebody who can hack' into your PRIVATE personal records ?
or this:
define function creep
spreader of butter

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 am

b0unce wrote:so I take it you have nothing to quasi-sensible to say in response to this:
or this:
define function creep
What is the point? Every reply I gave has been met with the same reply.
I don't give a shit if Google collects all data I put out there. Because I'm not posting my medical records or any other private personal records.
People will find out more about my life from this forum then any data google could ever collect.
With all the invisible threats out there like just a plain old tap on the ISP, I'm not in the least bit worried about what google can do.
Its easy to get upset about this google analytics stuff if you have no clue about things like the MPAA getting away with entrapment just because there's no online law for it. Now that is evil...

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Everything is always a conspiracy, and everything is related to the "man" trying to fuck you over. :roll:

Geeze-loweeze, people! There is no phishing or malicious data mining with Google analytics. I use Google analytics on my wife's website (she sells handmade jewelry) so I can track and analyze whether or not our navigation/work flow is the best for our site visitors.

My employer, a medical college, uses Google analytics to provide web stats and visitor tracking.

It cannot capture form data, it cannot capture your personal info. The only thing it can do is grab your IP (which if you are behind a firewall, is virtual), grab your browser settings, and track what links you clicked on within the site.

That's ALL.

Freakin' paranoid goof-balls. Worry more about producing music and less about your conspiracy theories.
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Worrying about being "tracked" like this is the ultimate ego trip. Like the fucking black CIA van is going to be pulling up in front of your house one of these days, as you are the Ultimate H4xx0r. Better double up on tinfoil. :roll:

They don't care about you. They just want to know very basic information, and it ultimately makes it easier to separate you and your money...welcome to capitalism. Your bank/CC company, grocery store, and any online business you buy from, they all know the shit, and what do you care? Do they know you personally? Are you doing such subversive shit that it matters? Even if you are, you could probably get by with it for years without anyone knowing how to handle this glut of information well enough to figure it out. You are one of hundreds of millions of flickering bits of mostly-useless data running across some admin's screen out there. Lighten. Up.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:47 pm

b0unce wrote:what's ableton doing with the data anyways, i wonder ?
keeping close tabs on the 35 freaks who use this messageboard.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:40 pm

:lol:

it's all moot, NoScript is the solution.
80 <-- danke

/thread

:D
spreader of butter

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:57 pm

I've used NOSCRIPT for a long time, probably since it was first available for Firefox.

It is a wonderful tool, but you also need to be aware that it can get in the way.

Frequently when I use e-commerce I need to disable it because of the way some web sites are set up - not all the scripts are evident on the commerce page, but do get invoked after the 'submit' is pressed. In these cases, usually the intermediary sites are not enabled by NOSCRIPT so some script fails to execute. This can royally screw up the submission process and you are left hanging wondering what to do next.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Noscript sucks ass. If you're truly worried about your appearance on the net, then use an anon proxy. That way the whole of the interweb is forced to respect your privacy...

... but then you might complain about passing all your data through that proxy, eh.

my man b0unce sez it bezt: moot point.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I don't use NOSCRIPT as an anonymizer, I use it to prevent unwanted script behavior, ad serving, etc. To me it is a security feature.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:31 pm

arachnaut wrote:I don't use NOSCRIPT as an anonymizer, I use it to prevent unwanted script behavior, ad serving, etc. To me it is a security feature.
nor would I expect anyone of right mind to attempt to use noscript to anonymize. I use adblockplus, which in a sense is a selective script-blocker, and when neccesary ( :-) ) I have the option of going through a proxy.