How do you uninstall ableton live 7 demo on OSX 10?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gh82

How do you uninstall ableton live 7 demo on OSX 10?

Post by gh82 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 am

Hi,
Sorry if this questions if pretty dumb but im new to OSX. Iv installed AL7 demo and want to uninstall it but noticed it does not exist in the 'Applications' folder and so am unsure where to look!

Can anyone shine a light on this and also where to look for uninstalling other VST instruments on OSX10?

Many thanks

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:20 am

drop the ableton folder in the trash
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:38 am

damn, i missed OS10.5.3 - 19.9.9

@gh82: if it's not in the Applications folder, do a search. click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right-corner of your screen.

gh82

Post by gh82 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks il check this out.

Are there any mac uninstall applications you could recommend or is dragging to the trash-can just as good? Also I noticed a program on the net that I have lost the link to that showed you a tree diagram of all the files on your mac and when you install a program it shows you exactly on the diagram where those files have been installed to. Does anyone know the name of this utility as it seems very useful?

Many thanks :wink:

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:21 pm

99% of 'uninstalls' under OSX amount to throwing away the app folder.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Some applications use .plist files for their preferences. If you're OCD, you can delete these too, but they only take up less than 10kb. Just do a general search for "Ableton Live on your system and you will easily find them.

Un/Installing on OSX is bonehead simple otherwise. All the program data is contained in a single folder (package). No registry or restarts to fuck around with like in Windows, and none of that "Some files could not be deleted" garbage. Like the guy above said, just drag that shit to the trash and bang, its "uninstalled".

gh82

Post by gh82 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Haha, that’s great to know thanks guys. The problem with me is that I have worked with the windows platform for too many years now to automatically assume such a simple task would work!!! I can only laugh to think what the outcome would be if the same thing was performed on XP :)

Cheers

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:09 pm

IMO, the single best way to "uninstall" an app, or plugin, or whatever on either Tiger/Leopard or Windows is to use something like superduper! (on Mac) or True Image (on Windows) to make a backup of your system before installing new stuff.

It takes a little bit of time, but it saves the "wondering" involved when uninstalling, and negates the necessity of using a 3rd party system cleaner to get you (hopefully) back to the same spot you were before trying out demos, etc.

superduper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/ ... ption.html):
- lets you make a full system backup that you can restore easily from the Mac installation disks

true image (http://www.acronis.com/)
- lets you make a full system backup that you can restore from a bootable True Image CD

Doesn't help with your current situation, obviously, but might be a good idea for future reference. It's a good idea, even on Macs, to put your system back (carefully) to a steady-state periodically (before demo'ing new stuff, trying new drivers, or if you have... umm... questionable web tendencies). :lol:

Take care,
- zevo
infinite density, zero volume