end of the internet in 2012?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nbr0118

Post by nbr0118 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 am

forge wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:I don't know, did we?

So you wouldn't have to pay to go to a site like MySpace? and you wouldn't be able to pay into the bandwidth of a mega site like MySpace?
from what I understand - and this is why it seems to me like it could be feasible - the model would consist of ISPs providing Tiers that contain access to sites that are included within those tiers and it will also reflect on the available bandwidth

so for example, currently my ISP provides 2GB for their cheapest tier and goes up to maybe 40GB or unlimited for their most expensive

as I understand it the idea is to include access to sites in these tiers, so the cheapest ones will only let you access the big Uber corporations and people will have to pay more to get more access

this will mean that a lot of websites will get so few hits that they will not be able to function any more

think about all those independent music websites you use which are run for free by somebody

this forum would probably survive because Ableton would simply have to pay the premium

but there are loads that wouldnt
i guess this means future instruments for live will be even more expensive...that sucks
Regards,

Nathan Reyes

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:01 am

bosonHavoc wrote:someone born around the year 2000 will just hack the ip's and then they'll prolly hack the end of the world too. i bet the hackers name will be zero cool, (he will be the modern jesus figure that the next 2000 years will worship) .. o by the way i got that info from an anonymous website.
Naw Tom Cruis is already the new Jesus for the next 2000 years. KNEEL BEFORE JESUS CRUISE!!!
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:25 am

nbr0118 wrote: i guess this means future instruments for live will be even more expensive...that sucks
it's the inevitable effect on independent news that's most disconcerting.
spreader of butter

jeskola

Re: end of the internet in 2012?

Post by jeskola » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 am

forge wrote:scary stuff

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality
What's interesting is that at christams i was at a conference talking about the future of the recoding industry, the internets role etc... and that was the genreal model all the majors were talking about following shortley...

forge

Re: end of the internet in 2012?

Post by forge » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:10 pm

jeskola wrote:
forge wrote:scary stuff

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality
What's interesting is that at christams i was at a conference talking about the future of the recoding industry, the internets role etc... and that was the genreal model all the majors were talking about following shortley...
yeah exactly - I could imagine the idea would seem pretty damn appealing to those big record company people who've been lamenting their demise over the last few years

now that bandwidth is increasing we get the movie/TV people joining them - a lot of lobbying power

I really don't think this is alarmist at all, if I was one of them I'm sure I'd be thinking about it

all we can hope is there are enough 'open source' minded people in the IT industry to tell them to get fucked and find ways around it

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:04 pm

The entire internet could implode and I wouldn't really care.

It may even be a step toward getting people back toward reality and values.
Last edited by hambone1 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Even though I design websites for a living I never use the internet outside of my 9 to 5. :lol:

Don’t understand people who want to spend all their spare time in front of a computer… oh wait :lol:

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 pm

I care far less about this big time wasting bastard than I do about the implications - I was just starting to feel good about the new independent music industry starting to emerge where the big labels were getting the arse

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:58 pm

the_planet wrote:OK a serious response:

This is most definitely going to happen. And when it does, it's going to completely cornhole many businesses relying on e-commerce as much of their income. Not to mention artists, politicians, musicians, and various organizations.

When it happens, proactive geeks will first attempt to create a subinternet, based on wireless technology. It will start in large cities, and networks will be small but powerful. Eventually a company will buy the technology and implement it better. That will be cool.

Otherwise, people and businesses will adapt. The cheapest package will most likely contain the most popular websites like Myspace, eBay, and other crap like that. People will use their Myspace profiles, heavily edited with CSS to create sort of a replacement internet. So instead of www.audiomidi.com it will be myspace.com/audiomidi, with all the necessary links in their myspace profile. Their website will then be available to the common public, and hopefully their business will survive. Ableton will be myspace.com/ableton. Now we have to see if Fox will start charging for Myspace after the NN thing happens...

It will happen, and it will suck ass. People will adapt however. If it does happen, I vow never to pay for a subscription. I will go to cybercafes instead, and hop on the subinternet when it is created.

(PS that video was created by a weird European humor group, so take it with a grain of salt: http://www.youtube.com/user/AtheneWins)
And unknown to the underground geeks who create the 'subinternet' they accidentally set in to motion a series of events that create Skynet and Terminator becomes true.

The video was shit - look at that persons other videos - self indulgent crap.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:34 am

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:17 pm

The net neutrality thing has been in the news for a while now, at least a year.

The ISPs aren't happy that they have to keep adding more bandwidth to their systems to support the ever increasing amount of high bandwidth applications that are coming online and being heavily used. A good example is the BBC iPlayer - this one service has had a massive impact on bandwidth usage for UK ISPs, I've seen ISP's claiming this has resulted in 5-10% extra traffic.

The ISPs think they should get paid by websites for all the extra traffic they are having to handle for YouTube, iTunes, iPlayer and similar sites. The websites have responded by saying tough shit, it ain't our problem as you should be passing any extra cost on to their customers who are using the extra bandwidth.

I'm sure the main media owners (Disney, Sony, Universal etc) would argue (if they haven't already) that they should get some kick backs for all their media which is illegally swapped over the internet - a tax on ISPs for example.

I can't see anything happening except for maybe some of the big ISPs giving lower priority to traffic from major websites unless they cough up some cash. Which I can't see them doing - the companies involved (Apple, Microsoft, Google etc) are more likely to spend the money on putting their own backbone network in place which would handle the bulk of the traffic.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:25 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a pain in the ass. Ain't t'interweb gonna gonna be replaced by "The Grid" someday anyway???

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:59 pm

Hmm - why am I not surpised - if it wasnt for folks like me (yes - I was one of the early coders writign protoclls for it many years ago - past life) and many others in the early days - there wouldnt be a fucking internet.

Marketting twats and business twats - hate them - put the fuckers up against the wall!
Nothing to see here - move along!

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 am

Maninkari

Post by Maninkari » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 am

to be honest, it doesn't surprise me at all. this is a usual action, take something which is basically free, and sell it. I don't know how often this has happened.

but it has too much of an conspiracy theory for my taste. anyway.

I don't get the people who say that they wouldn't mind that much, because "they would find reality again". if you have to be deprived of your internet to be able to leave your flat you might want to consider a doctor or something.
furthermore, if the internet really will be that way, we will loose a big bunch of our freedom of speech and general freedom (as far as it exists). the internet is the best invention of this century, in my opinion.
I put a dollar in a change machine, nothing changed.