How to use Kaoss Pad KP3 w/ Live 7 (i searched)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
msodrew

How to use Kaoss Pad KP3 w/ Live 7 (i searched)

Post by msodrew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:36 am

Just picked up a KP3.. but have no idea how to use it with Live. I've googled and searched this forum forever and cannot seem to find a tutorial on ways to set it up with Live 7.

All the videos seem to be just demonstrating it in action, not how to actually configure it.

- How do you setup the KP3 to be a MIDI controller?
- How do you setup the KP3 as an external effect to run a track through?

Any explanation or direction to an online source is cool... thanks :?:

db82

Post by db82 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:44 am

I've not used it as a midi controller.

But to use it as an effect, here is what I did.

Setup a new return track and add 'External Audio Effect' from the Audio Effects plugins.

Wire up 2 of your soundcard outputs to the left/right inputs on the kp, and the 2 outputs of the kp to 2 inputs of your soundcard.

For example I used channels 5&6 (in and out) of my soundcard.

Then set the input/output channels on your External Audio Effect plugin to use the same.

On the track ouput settings, set it to Sends Only and dial up the send dial to your return track.

grok

Post by grok » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 am

If you want to use it as midicontroler, you have to install and open the KP3 software editor. Then go to Live's preference/midi and there you will see the KP 3 and then you just have to tick the right fields

Greetz
Grok
P4 Desktop-Echo Gina-Laptop P4-Motu Ultra Lite-AkaiMFC-Sherman-TeeBee 383-Reaktor-Live 7-Alesis Mk2-Novation Remote-Phat Boy-DBX comp-Korg KaossPad 3-Kaossilator-Akai MPD32

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:38 am

I used to use my KP3 as a MIDI controller - I sold it (STUPID...ish) in a moment of madness.

Set it to 'Ext' mode (shift+8 on the KP3), and set Live to recieve control from the KP3 in your MIDI Preference tab (RTM). You can then use most of the controls and the X/Y pad on the KP3 to control Live. Check the KP3 software for the MIDI CC#s, and also the pad pattern - you can make it 'do faders' which is quite nice.

Best bet? Visit the Korg forum. They're quite good over that side...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

msodrew

Post by msodrew » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 am

logic_user99 wrote:I used to use my KP3 as a MIDI controller - I sold it (STUPID...ish) in a moment of madness.

Set it to 'Ext' mode (shift+8 on the KP3), and set Live to recieve control from the KP3 in your MIDI Preference tab (RTM). You can then use most of the controls and the X/Y pad on the KP3 to control Live. Check the KP3 software for the MIDI CC#s, and also the pad pattern - you can make it 'do faders' which is quite nice.

Best bet? Visit the Korg forum. They're quite good over that side...
So I've got the KP3 in Ext mode, and can seem to map buttons to things in Live using the MIDI map mode... however I cannot seem to map each button on the X-Y grid as a distinct key... I think it has something to do with the MIDI device preferences. My configuration is as follows:

Control Surface: None
Input: None
Output: KP3 (SOUND)

Input: KP3 (PAD) -- Track (ON) -- Sync (ON) -- Remote (On)
Output: same as Input

Which control surface should I declare the KP3 as in the "1." row? What other options should I have selected, de-selected?

Thank you so much!!

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:19 am

msodrew wrote:So I've got the KP3 in Ext mode, and can seem to map buttons to things in Live using the MIDI map mode... however I cannot seem to map each button on the X-Y grid as a distinct key... I think it has something to do with the MIDI device preferences. My configuration is as follows:

Control Surface: None
Input: None
Output: KP3 (SOUND)

Input: KP3 (PAD) -- Track (ON) -- Sync (ON) -- Remote (On)
Output: same as Input

Which control surface should I declare the KP3 as in the "1." row? What other options should I have selected, de-selected?

Thank you so much!!
You've seen that video on YouTube haven't you...

ATM, you can't map each square on the 8x8 grid of the X/Y pad to an individual controller (not without some serious Max/MSP, Reaktor, or Bidule coding at the very least). It's a shame, but it just can't be done. Sorry.

To use the X/Y pad as something other than just an X/Y, you need to go into the KP3 editor software, and look at the 'Global' tab. In there, right at the bottom of the picture of the KP3, there's a drop down box that lets you pick the 'pattern' of the pad. I think number four is a set of 8 'vertical' faders - good times!

As far as configuring it in Live goes, you don't need to set it as any type of controller in the '1' box as this is just for controllers that Live has pre-set maps for (I think? Anyone going to correct me...?)

Anymore questions, just ask.

Ta.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:12 pm

logic_user99 wrote:ATM, you can't map each square on the 8x8 grid of the X/Y pad to an individual controller (not without some serious Max/MSP, Reaktor, or Bidule coding at the very least). It's a shame, but it just can't be done. Sorry.
Correction:
Machinate - --- ME! wrote:ATM, you can map each square on the 8x8 grid of the X/Y pad to an individual controller with some seriously simple Max/MSP coding

:wink:

msodrew

Post by msodrew » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Machinate wrote:
logic_user99 wrote:ATM, you can't map each square on the 8x8 grid of the X/Y pad to an individual controller (not without some serious Max/MSP, Reaktor, or Bidule coding at the very least). It's a shame, but it just can't be done. Sorry.
Correction:
Machinate - --- ME! wrote:ATM, you can map each square on the 8x8 grid of the X/Y pad to an individual controller with some seriously simple Max/MSP coding

:wink:
I actually have MAX/MSP... any chance there is a patch I can download?... or should I just start trying to guess at it and make it myself haha?

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:21 pm

cool, i'd be interested in finding a patch like this - i only have the run time - can't afford the actual program unfortunately...
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm

That's the jist of it, you'll have to make the full patch yourself though ;-)

Code: Select all

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
485.3oc0VEsaBBCE8YLY+CM8wMlqWPDceH6kkkED5ztHEBTybyr+8QaA0nPr
5Bf9B23o2hm6om6kt4tAV3YIqo4XzynWQVVaJPrTXRDqJ.Kbbv5vkA4pDw7U
wynYX6x0XQJzjYe9ni+VzhjX7kTgZKPE5GIbQN6GpDzgLjrW1IqDUo6TAmFH
BWv3yeOiFJzjDFK2FxchJ36p9ALjfdqZS5Wj36TpdGXFWfsQ3YA743coIoBO
HVkD9EZVT.O.qV626FHiEAay0D5WEBv1pWPWq3K9gZkow0KSN0ISPixDXfLM
RGbF5YifomTl5b4AA0JPj1WfzJiy3qDAp4dJ3L5ofKqmhnEAcvS8z.snu5od
pvcWqR41YtlQW8tFu120TpEN2Ftl6QSpSnfostowgbiLpAF05llR2xs9nFfz
Ytlq9QM9suogbUNoIkEJxWxhZnY5DNjyXPqtt0OKuXmJb55W6HNnB0aCujwO
5l+p+c4BGT24IqxBqd2UiMQ6QfHZtfwCDrD9dYIunKB1k0BVTDUkvVWPLKJM
oflkL4HxZeAjSd8QCIGoyIGXD275MtAmha98B0N7zpAcqeHGXjg6vdlthbF0
pJ+1eebr5Yzwpa+PNWiHGoeHmYC4fdgb9FY49+BmDnH7GjFPg7E
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:10 pm

on a somewhat related topic here is a sweet vid of the kp3 and bidule emulating the kaossilator

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNGVe4zD08

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:23 pm

machinate do you know how to whip up the templates needed to emulate the functionality in that video, he's even got the keys being changed with the kp3s fader very nice. I wouldn't mind paypaling you a caramel machiotto
for your efforts.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Thing is; he's only got like 8 notes going horizontally, and then vertically it's volume or aftertouch or something. Key changes with the fader would be just adding an integer from a midi slider to the patch I have here.

And emulating scales? That's easy too, just send the output though a table, but I reckon you're asking for a fully functional patch? I can't provide that, since I don't have a KP3 at my disposal, nor will I get one... sorry :(

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 pm

:( one can ask right :D thanks for explaining

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 pm

starving student wrote::( one can ask right :D thanks for explaining
no worries, mate. I will be in a studio with a KP3 some time this or next week, maybe I will have some sit-down time with it to throw some stuff together? Would you like that ? If so, please send me a spec sheet of what you'd like in there.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.