Ozone Keyboard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buchnaner

Ozone Keyboard

Post by buchnaner » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:51 pm

did anyone get Live 4 w/ the Ozone keyboard? if so, good or no? what capabilities does the keyboard have? comments anyone?

arar

Post by arar » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:44 am

Hi,

I use the Ozone with Live 3,

not as a soundcard cause you cant pre-listen,

I use it to control volume, crossfader, firing clips...

its good, but I could have made do with the oxyegn 8 (which doesnt need a wall wart I think), as I use an echo indigio DJ as the soundcard..

pepezabala

driver trouble

Post by pepezabala » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:28 am

hi,

I use the ozone with live and a 800mhz ibook, OSX. It's really great and easy to use, the other day i was using the microphone in in a live concert to make shocking psychedelic delays with the grain delay, controlled by some of the knobs of the ozone. great fun. but i have some trouble with the driver. every time i switch off the ozone i have to close and restart live because somehow it does not find the ozone after the switch-off. I hope this will be fixed when i do the next osx-update, somebody told me that htis would do.

Wayne from White Salmon

Ozone with Live

Post by Wayne from White Salmon » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:26 pm

I have the Ozone, and I use it with Reason and Live in combination. It works fine. Its a very versatile unit for not alot of money. The preamp is decent, quiet enough, but I have level problems when I try to record into Live from mic or guitar. I use Live's utility effect to boost levels, which does the trick.

I also have intermittent audio distortion. I don't know the cause, but when I de-select the Ozone in the preferences/audio panel, and then reconnect, the problem goes away. Probably a driver problem in Ozone.

At any rate, I use it all the time, and it seems to work great. For a one person studio it does fine.

lo-fi

Post by lo-fi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:52 am

[quote="arar"]
its good, but I could have made do with the oxyegn 8 (which doesnt need a wall wart I think), as I use an echo indigio DJ as the soundcard..[/quote]

So the Ozone needs an external PSU to operate? Damn.

How is the sound quality for sampling vinyl (through an external phono preamp of course)? Is it noticably better than the internal soundcard of a (latest gen.) PowerBook?

Are there any alternatives I should look at? I also want to use it with my MPC, so I need a midi out.

draff

Hey Wayne from White Salmon...

Post by draff » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:45 pm

The audio distortion you speak of is based in the fact that you are using a USB device to bring audio into your computer. Before switching to my MOTU 828MKII, I used a USB audio device for bringing vocals in. I would get that distortion quite often. I SCOURED the web looking for the solution, and a fix. The ONLY tru fix was to move to a firewire audio interface [I would assume a PCI/PCMCIA or USB 2.0 interface would also do the trick]. I now never have to deal with the digital glitches anymore. That fact alone, to me, makes the Ozone no more valuable that the Oxygen 8, which is what I ended up getting for a small MIDI controller. I will never again use a USB device for bringing audio in. When I'm DJ'ing, I have no problem using a USB card to send a couple of audio outs to my mixer, however [although lately I have still been using my 828MKII 'cause it's rackmounted right above my external HD].

-Derek

Sickboy

Re: Hey Wayne from White Salmon...

Post by Sickboy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:00 pm

draff wrote:The audio distortion you speak of is based in the fact that you are using a USB device to bring audio into your computer. Before switching to my MOTU 828MKII, I used a USB audio device for bringing vocals in. I would get that distortion quite often. I SCOURED the web looking for the solution, and a fix. The ONLY tru fix was to move to a firewire audio interface [I would assume a PCI/PCMCIA or USB 2.0 interface would also do the trick]. I now never have to deal with the digital glitches anymore. That fact alone, to me, makes the Ozone no more valuable that the Oxygen 8, which is what I ended up getting for a small MIDI controller. I will never again use a USB device for bringing audio in. When I'm DJ'ing, I have no problem using a USB card to send a couple of audio outs to my mixer, however [although lately I have still been using my 828MKII 'cause it's rackmounted right above my external HD].

-Derek

strange... normally usb must work (for a couple of simultanious channels, not to much)
Did you every had the Ozone??

Any more advice here? i'm planning to buy one... I also am wondering if i could use a firewire-interface and the Ozone together on my laptop pc with live...

mischa

Post by mischa » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:24 pm

"Did you every had the Ozone??

Any more advice here? i'm planning to buy one... I also am wondering if i could use a firewire-interface and the Ozone together on my laptop pc with live..."

hey sickboy, hey buchnaner,

if you already have a good souncard and/or a good firewire-interface, forget the ozone!!
the drivers are a bit unreliable, also the support at m-audio, and the sound of the device could really be better...!

i am sometimes using the ozone with my rme multiface, which is also a sondcard/audio-interface on my laptop and it works quiet fine together.
you can select the favourite recording-device in your software-application: either the ozone or the other interface.

you could also use them together, but i think the cheaper oxygen midi keyboard would do as good jobs as the ozone does... - for playing the synths and controlling some knobs, without having the build-in audio-interface because you may have the mentioned firewire-interface!

so long,

m.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:46 pm

thanks for your awnser
I had a big firewire-interface, but want to work smaller. the ozone looks very fine, but i was thinking, that if i need more inputs later on, i also could buy an extra little firewire-interface. I would then have the ozone, to take with me... i heard from somebody that the next ableton live would support two interfaces...

mischa

Post by mischa » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:12 am

yeah, you´re right!

to be mobile with small equipment, the ozone is the right thing to have - you won´t find a more compact and "all including" piece of hardware for that price!

for me this was also the reason to buy it...

it has probably everything you may need for a small and mobile workspace.

m.

Credo

Post by Credo » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:05 pm

How mobile is it?

They say you need external power for it.

C
>>
MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, 3 Gb Ram, OS X 10.6.8
Novation Ultranova, Launchpad, Nocturn
MOTU Ultralite
Elektron Machinedrum + Monomachine
Future Retro XS
OTO Biscuit

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:13 pm

Yes, that's thrue, but for me not really a problem

mischa

Post by mischa » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:31 am

yeah, it´s not powered by the usb-port like other small keyboards are, so mobility is limited to electric power supply!

but think about the power the unit needs to feed up the audio-interface within...

beside running your audio apps with asio and playing soft-synths, you can switch on phantom power for microphones; an electric guitar for example can also easily be plugged in and supported/amplified by the little o...!
this power can´t come just from usb-ports...

mobility is therefore meant to use it as a multi-capability-tool; for doing a lot of different things with just one piece of hardware!

if you want to have a little keyboard just to play the soft-synths/-samplers /-drums, there are a lot more cheaper solutions around powered by usb!

greets,

m.

solutionsagent

Post by solutionsagent » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:59 am

IS ANYONE GETTING A DELAY???
SolutionsAgent