OT - UEFA Euro 2008

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

who do you favor to win?

Germany
21%
Italy
8%
Spain
17%
Portugal
12%
France
3%
Czech Republic
2%
Croatia
10%
Netherlands
27%

Total votes: 90

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Knocking the Italians is just a case of tall poppy syndrome. Most people want to see the top side lose. A bit like knocking Americans because their country is the number one superpower. I wouldn't dismiss them just yet. If they don't win their next game, which they should do, then obviously they can pack their bags home.

I still believe they will make the final and even win it. They might have lost 3-0, but they weren't crap.
Current title holders are Greece, but I don't think many people want to see them lose especially, so not sure about the theory. But definitely agree that Italy are not out of the running yet, you're right they might still turn it around. I thought both Italy and Netherlands played a league above France and Romania. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Netherlands and Italy crack the Romania defence when France failed utterly.

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 pm

well greece just failed, sweden were pretty good

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:18 pm

One funny thing after the first goal by Netherlands yesterday. Pretty much as soon as it happened, the German commentator said that it was probably not ruled offside due to the Italian player who was out of play by the side of the goal and, as such, was a correct interpretation of the rules. By full time, the studio experts on German TV had a copy of the rule book in their hands and pointed to paragraph number whatever and confirmed that the referee had acted completely correctly.

Meanwhile on the BBC website, even the next day, they were still arguing that it was a dubious decision and what rule says this and so on!

Ah, sometimes I love the pedantic correctness of this country :D

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:21 pm

8O wrote: Current title holders are Greece, but I don't think many people want to see them lose especially...
We portuguese do, since we lost the final to them, playing in our country, and they played defense through the whole championship. :evil:

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 pm

8O wrote:One funny thing after the first goal by Netherlands yesterday. Pretty much as soon as it happened, the German commentator said that it was probably not ruled offside due to the Italian player who was out of play by the side of the goal and, as such, was a correct interpretation of the rules. By full time, the studio experts on German TV had a copy of the rule book in their hands and pointed to paragraph number whatever and confirmed that the referee had acted completely correctly.

Meanwhile on the BBC website, even the next day, they were still arguing that it was a dubious decision and what rule says this and so on!

here:

The first goal was NOT offside. Here are the laws that say so.

Section 11.11 of FIFA's Advice to Referees
Section 11.4.1 of Laws of the Game, FIFA Refereeing Code

In section 11.11 (Defender legally off field of play) of FIFA's "advice to referees," it clearly states that "A defender who leaves the field during the course of play and does not immediately return MUST STILL BE CONSIDERED in determining where the second to last defender is for the purpose of judging which attackers are in an offside position. Such a defender is considered to be on the touch line or goal line closest to his off-field position. A defender who leaves the field with the referee's permission (and who thus requires the referee's permission to return) is not included in determining offside position."

This answer is correct, and the rest of the world will catch up eventually. Which, of course, explains why the Italians lined up without much of a protest to restart the game after the Dutch goal. Not to mention that the Italian defender was knocked there by his own keeper (Buffon).

Also, from an updated soccer report on FoxSports.com

"RUUD van Nistelrooy's opener in The Netherlands' 3-0 demolition of Italy in Berne was not offside, the chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl insisted after the game.

According to Kapl the Dutch striker was played onside by Italian defender Christian Panucci, who had been injured moments earlier and who was behind the goalline as Van Nistelrooy fired home.

Kapl told Austrian news agency APA that, contrary to Italian protests, the decision by Swedish referee Peter Frojdfeldt to award the goal was "100 per cent correct, without any doubt."

Kapl added that article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code stipulated that "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play," as in the case of Panucci."

The Dutch player was about 5 yards ONSIDE. Clean play, good goal, excellent work by the officiating crew for getting it perfectly correct, right then and there. Shame on all commentators who got this dead wrong.

* 20 hours ago

Source(s):
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 15,00.html
http://soccer-ref.quietfire.com/ussf-do ... R-1997.pdf
Last edited by DjViral on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:06 pm

I think after seeing the first round of matches it's tight between Spain and Holland..

But I think Spain will win it. They looked really good today.. And played with no fear and full of confidence..

But wtf do I know ... :?

Hd

lola

Post by lola » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:06 pm

8O wrote:One funny thing after the first goal by Netherlands yesterday. Pretty much as soon as it happened, the German commentator said that it was probably not ruled offside due to the Italian player who was out of play by the side of the goal and, as such, was a correct interpretation of the rules. By full time, the studio experts on German TV had a copy of the rule book in their hands and pointed to paragraph number whatever and confirmed that the referee had acted completely correctly.

Hehe i was holding my breath when Van Nistelrooy scored the first one... ....funny to see how even some players and Van Basten looked surprised...
Did not know of that rule, is it a new one?

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:53 pm

but whatever the rules are we would've beaten them anyway..

it could've easily be 5-0

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 am

Tone Deft wrote::evil:

this is fuctup...
I'm hoping to watch the replay of the Netherland/Italy game right now, it was supposed to start 49 minutes ago. the TV listing shows 'Euro 2008', but they're showing 'ESPN NASCAR Now', a whole fecking hour of it. pwnage is ensuing, by NASCAR. motherfucking NASCAR. :roll: yay USA. NASCAR - hint: turn left!!!
happens all the time to me...theres a service for 15 dollars a month you get a box that has three setanta channels and a couple of other channels, its the best way to watch soccer in america ive found in the last 5 years... they dont play all epl games or all important games but it suits me just fine cause im an arsenal fan and they usually play most games all though i dont know if its changed this past year cause i havent had any chances to watch...i think its called IGtv or Itv...if any one is really interested ill find out the name.

condra

Post by condra » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 am

I'm supporting Germany, Poland, and Sweden.

:lol:

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:21 am

Poster wrote:but whatever the rules are we would've beaten them anyway..

it could've easily be 5-0
yup very easy at that. they had such good other shots, and not to mention van de saar is a fuckin king. what a save that fully air born one. you know which one, like the save of the match

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:35 am

8O wrote:I think tonight will be dull - I'm off wakeboarding instead! :)
How wrong I was: 4-1! Wish I'd seen it now, Villa sounds amazing...

So, tonight...

Czech Republic v Portugal

Switzerland v Turkey

Predictions...?

(I reckon 0:2 and 0:1, respectively)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 am

DjViral - nice quote from the rulebook. :D

ThrowAway wrote:
Tone Deft wrote::evil:

this is fuctup...
I'm hoping to watch the replay of the Netherland/Italy game right now, it was supposed to start 49 minutes ago. the TV listing shows 'Euro 2008', but they're showing 'ESPN NASCAR Now', a whole fecking hour of it. pwnage is ensuing, by NASCAR. motherfucking NASCAR. :roll: yay USA. NASCAR - hint: turn left!!!
happens all the time to me...theres a service for 15 dollars a month you get a box that has three setanta channels and a couple of other channels, its the best way to watch soccer in america ive found in the last 5 years... they dont play all epl games or all important games but it suits me just fine cause im an arsenal fan and they usually play most games all though i dont know if its changed this past year cause i havent had any chances to watch...i think its called IGtv or Itv...if any one is really interested ill find out the name.
it just had to be NASCAR that cock blocked my night. I was all set for a few hours of world class soccer and adult beverages but they chose to air rednecks saying things like "I hope it's not a fuel mileage race"

the announcers said that the games can be watched on ESPN360.com but they don't advise people watch the games while at work. 8O

watched the recorded games.
Spain v Russia - shooting match for Spain, forget taking shots at the 18, both teams were trying to dribble the ball into the goal, what happened to the one touch shot? David Villa with the hat trick, kewl. Spain doesn't have a player over 6 feet tall, Russia scored on a header, go figure.

Sweden v Greece - better teams, more of a grind, Greece just played defense. towards the end of the match, a Swede got hurt, usually the other team will kick the ball out of bounds, the injury gets sorted, ball is returned etc. not so much in this tournament? they just played on with a man advantage surprised. maybe I've seen too many friendlies.

next for this group:
Sweden v Spain - Sweden wins, maybe. Spain played the open field well v Russia, creative play.

Greeve v Russia - Greece wins no doubt
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:17 am

8O wrote:
8O wrote:I think tonight will be dull - I'm off wakeboarding instead! :)
How wrong I was: 4-1! Wish I'd seen it now, Villa sounds amazing...

So, tonight...

Czech Republic v Portugal

Switzerland v Turkey

Predictions...?

(I reckon 0:2 and 0:1, respectively)
Czech Rep v Portugal 1-3

Switzerland v Turkey 2-1

Turkey will be not too strong, remember the beef switzerland and turkey had back in 2005? The Turks were banned from the World Championchips.
I hope they kick each others balls tonight... again.

WOOT!

mdk

Post by mdk » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 am

Czech Rep v Portugal 1-1

I think Petr Čech will be pulling off some world class saves tonight and Portugal will leave themselves a bit open as they push forward and the Czech Rep. will nick a goal near the end...

Switzerland v Turkey 1-2

I reckon without Frei the Swiss will really struggle...

maybe :)
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter