To cold for the controller?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

To cold for the controller?

Post by ze2be » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:07 am

Hey, I did an outdoor concert about a week ago. And in the middle of the set the BCR2000 just lost conection to my laptop!! We are 2 persons with 2 computers, so I dont think the audiance figured out what was happening. And it was dark too. I restarted Live, I tried to change usb ports.. No change. Then I borrowed another controller from another artist. Similare device type, but smaler.. dont remember the name of it. Its out of production now.
Anyway, I mapped it superfast and was able to play 20 minutes, and also this one lost connection!! So the last 10 minutes I was faking it!! 8O

it was perhaps 5 degress celcius in the night, maybe colder. Realy cold! Nordic summer nights can be like that from time to time. The curious thing is that it didnt happen to any of the other artists, and they all had similare type setups.


How can you prevent something like that? Is it the usb ports of my laptop that could not take it?
? ? ? ? ?

freshdrumma
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:33 pm
Location: italy
Contact:

Post by freshdrumma » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:53 am

it sounds more a computer problem than anything else, either beeing a faulty usb port or driver.

what computer, os , and controller r u using?

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Post by ze2be » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:04 am

freshdrumma wrote:it sounds more a computer problem than anything else, either beeing a faulty usb port or driver.

what computer, os , and controller r u using?
Hello!

Its a BCR2000 controller, Acer Laptop with a single 2 ghz centrino cpu, XP sp2.

I tried all the 3 usb ports. Clearly it was because of the cold? It has never happened before.
? ? ? ? ?

Bagle
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by Bagle » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:29 am

all electronic equipment has operating temperature tolerances..

but honestly i would expect it to be alot greater then that.
im gonna have to go with driver or a bug in your system, i mean if all the other artists had similar setups and theres didnt die.. and they had the same temperatures as you..

why not get it working properly
then putting it in the freezer and chilling it, and plugging it back in then see if
it dies, if it does, then maybe the cold is to much
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Post by ze2be » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am

Haha, put it in the freezer? :) Why not!
? ? ? ? ?

stonee
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am
Location: halifax, NS Canada
Contact:

Post by stonee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:32 pm

i have not had/heard of good experiences with acer.


IMO,
if your going to be doing performing, you should buy the highest quality computer you can afford. IMO, that is not the description of acer.

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Post by ze2be » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:38 pm

stonee wrote:i have not had/heard of good experiences with acer.


IMO,
if your going to be doing performing, you should buy the highest quality computer you can afford. IMO, that is not the description of acer.
I know.. I have ordered a Lenovo, but it is very delayed. Was suposed to have it long before this gig.
? ? ? ? ?

Martyn
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:22 am
Location: UK

Post by Martyn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Take a hair dryer with you next time, they're useful for keeping the damp off things if you're outdoors too.

That's if temperature was the problem.

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 pm

Martyn is spot on, I think. THe problem is more likely to be moisture - such as from condensation, moving quickly from hot to cold - than from cold, per se.

And as for blaming Acer for moisture in USB sockets... well...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Post by ze2be » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Machinate wrote:Martyn is spot on, I think. THe problem is more likely to be moisture - such as from condensation, moving quickly from hot to cold - than from cold, per se.

And as for blaming Acer for moisture in USB sockets... well...
Hmm... well the equipment was kept in a tent a whole day before taking it to the stage. So it had the enviroments temperature all the way. I dont know if the BCR is geting hot, dont think so. But the laptop most certainly do! I fired it up like 30 minutes before going live, to do some last minute testing. So maybe it was something with the laptop after all?

I mean if it happened to two different controllers it must be the laptop that is the problem?
? ? ? ? ?

blank
Posts: 1512
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by blank » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Acer is way not the best brand to go play a gig live. This is a good company if you just want to read your email and print your pictures not for intensive operation especially if your not in a optimal context like you were.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:01 pm

ze2be wrote:
I mean if it happened to two different controllers it must be the laptop that is the problem?
or the environment itself - those are the only two variables you didn't change. Look, all I am saying is that if you are getting condensation on your usb ports, which makes them malfunction or something, then that would have happened even with a pc, a mac, or on a Bates 9000 usb-ninja soldered by Gil Bates himself.

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Post by ze2be » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Machinate wrote:
ze2be wrote:
I mean if it happened to two different controllers it must be the laptop that is the problem?
or the environment itself - those are the only two variables you didn't change. Look, all I am saying is that if you are getting condensation on your usb ports, which makes them malfunction or something, then that would have happened even with a pc, a mac, or on a Bates 9000 usb-ninja soldered by Gil Bates himself.
He he! :-D

well yeah, I see your point.. Still though it only happened to me. And there were 6 or 7 similare setups that day. (laptops with usb controlers)

Last time I was there in january (russia) my cellphone broke because of high air dencity..
? ? ? ? ?

nbinder
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Post by nbinder » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:47 pm

I also had problems with a computer not booting due to temperature issues (moisture I would say, too), so if the Behringer controller is working fine now either the USB controller chip didn't work properly or the BCR.

I wouldn't be surprised.

briandervish
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:07 pm
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by briandervish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

I had the same thing happen to my BCR2000 on an exceptionally cold outdoor gig.

Post Reply