Page 1 of 2

Bad time to buy a Mac?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:32 pm
by epiphanius
Hiya:

I'm interested in getting my first Mac, primarily to have something to play my Ableton stuff outside of the house.

But there are a lot of reports of severe problems with Leopard, to the point that Apple has announced a new version of Leopard to be released - next year?

I only want to play, not record on the Macbook. I have an M-audio usb Midi only interface I want to use, but no firewire stuff (which seems to cause the most grief).

Should I wait?

Opinions most welcome.

e.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm
by rsagevik
My Leopard is running perfectly fine

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:48 pm
by Emissary
to be honest, something is wrong with leopard and macbooks, i have a SR macbook and it runs live roughly half the speed that my windows bootcamp partition can run it. its like running the thing on a p4

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:59 pm
by OvertoneZero
Mac Pro with Leopard is great, I would wait for an update on the Macbook line before buying

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:11 pm
by Daim

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:13 pm
by mkelly
I sort of agree with what OvertoneZero said, before you buy any Mac, have a look here to see if it's worth buying right now:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The MacBook/MacBook Pro lines are about mid-way through the average cycle length - they could update very soon, or take another 3+ months - that's the gamble you take. If you need a laptop right now, then you might want to buy one. However, if your need is not urgent, you might want to wait for an update when you'll get more bang for your buck.

Reports as to problems with Leopard vary from person to person. I personally would not view Snow Leopard as a statement that there is something severely wrong with Leopard.

Cheers,

Mo

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:14 pm
by mkelly
Damn - beaten to it! :-)

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:49 pm
by epiphanius
Thanks for the link (and the other comments) -

Just what I need

before I proceed.

e.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:04 pm
by Pasha
Just a late question: I'm going to replace my 2nd Gen Macbook (Tiger 10.4.11) with Leopard. IS that a good think or should I stay put?

- Best
- Pasha

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 pm
by brianbacio
i have a G4 12" macbook pro that works fine on Tiger 10.4.11
I have a G4 17" macbook pro with Leopard : many audio problems even since 10.5.3

Leopard does not seem perfect yet.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:23 pm
by R.J.Dubya
brianbacio wrote:i have a G4 12" macbook pro that works fine on Tiger 10.4.11
I have a G4 17" macbook pro with Leopard : many audio problems even since 10.5.3
you have a 12" macbook pro?

you have macbook pros that are G4's?

Someone is selling you very suspicious computers my friend..... :wink:

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 pm
by Atomikat
brianbacio wrote:i have a G4 12" macbook pro that works fine on Tiger 10.4.11
I have a G4 17" macbook pro with Leopard : many audio problems even since 10.5.3

Leopard does not seem perfect yet.
Do those exist? I think Macbooks Pro are not G4 (ppc)...they are Intel... :wink:
and...never saw a 12" Macbook Pro...just the 15" and 17"

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:30 am
by ekwipt
OvertoneZero wrote:Mac Pro with Leopard is great, I would wait for an update on the Macbook line before buying
What latency can you get with macpro and leopard?

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:32 am
by hambone1
ekwipt wrote:
OvertoneZero wrote:Mac Pro with Leopard is great, I would wait for an update on the Macbook line before buying
What latency can you get with macpro and leopard?
Depends on your soundcard, unless you're using the onboard sound.

I get extremely low latency (haven't measured it yet, but good enough for live percussion) with Leopard on an MBP and Yamaha 01v.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:32 am
by bensuthers
no leopard issues over here. excellence only.