ableton's automap (with uc33e) - customizable?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
R.J.Dubya

ableton's automap (with uc33e) - customizable?

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:00 am

So I just picked up a uc33e, basically to use as a dedicated sends device, and I see that it is supported for ableton automap. Being an SL user mainly, I haven't been diggin' much into what other devices can do as far as automapping.

What I'd like is simply for the 3 knobs above each fader to be assigned to three sends for each track. As far as I can see, it's default allows it to control the selected device with the top knobs and faders control levels.

So my questions:
-Is there already a template where the knobs are dedicated to sends
-Can I customize the ableton automap setup?
-Is there any mackie control emulation hacks for this type of thing?
-Is there any documentation about ableton's automapping?

thanks in advance
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:23 pm

ah c'mon. I know lots of y'all use this thing.....
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:06 pm

I did a instant mapping thingy for the Nocturn took me 10 minutes to figure it out. Find and read the file "InstantMappings-HowTo.txt". Easy peasy!

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:07 pm

djsynchro wrote:I did a instant mapping thingy for the Nocturn took me 10 minutes to figure it out. Find and read the file "InstantMappings-HowTo.txt". Easy peasy!
Thanks man. Found the file, and your right, pretty straight forward. Bit of a let down though, as you can't add parameters. I was hoping to map 16 track levels and 3 sends per track. But apparently you can only use what's already provided, which, for the mixer, is only 8 tracks and 2 sends. bleh.

thanks anyways.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:54 am

yeah, the limitations of the instant mappings system are really annoying....

since you're on a Mac, one solution is to use LC Xmu (opuslocus.com), which is a great Mackie Control emulator program, to map the uc33e exactly the way you want... i assume you have some kinda bank system on the uc33e, in which case you can have the best of both worlds and map a bank of rotaries using instant mappings as well, so you can have the handy blue hand device control too...

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:01 am

fishmonkey wrote:yeah, the limitations of the instant mappings system are really annoying....

since you're on a Mac, one solution is to use LC Xmu (opuslocus.com), which is a great Mackie Control emulator program, to map the uc33e exactly the way you want... i assume you have some kinda bank system on the uc33e, in which case you can have the best of both worlds and map a bank of rotaries using instant mappings as well, so you can have the handy blue hand device control too...
Cool, thanks for the tip. Though I don't need to map to individual devices with the blue hand selection (since I use a remote SL), the app sounds cool for customizing the mixer automapping. cheers
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Or get a cheap-as-chips BCF2000 for mixing levels/sends it's great, really fast. If you press "flip" you get to set send levels with the faders, Yamaha O2R style, which is waaaay nicer than with a rotary.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:40 pm

yep, flip can be nice... (also easy to do with LC Xmu)...