FARMPAD for padKontrol now v 1.3.1 !!! !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am

for clips in a same track, you don't need to set the pads as groups, as they will automatically light off when one another clip of the same track will be launched.

if you assign a switch to a track's stop button, it will automatically light OFF the pads of that track, following the beat quantize (if clip is set to quantize 1 bar, it will stop after 1 bar). so I think you don't have to set this switch as groupmaster.

You should get the light feedback even when not using 'groupmaster' settings for the switch. Check your preferencies, be sure you've got REMOTE in and out ON on each farmpad output and input...

hope you'll get it

cheers

Nausea

Post by Nausea » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks for the reply monstrejumo.

I will try this tonight and see if it works out.

mutant23

Mapping farmpad to Drum Rack?

Post by mutant23 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:21 am

Can anyone help me control Drum Rack with farmpad?

I have farmpad running fine but I just can't get it to control Drum Rack.

I have my config file set like this:
scene:1
pad:1-16
mode:trigger
control:off
channel:10
pad:1
note:C3
pad:2
note:C#3
...etc.

and farmpad midi input port in Live's preferences On for Track.

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to make it work. I've also tried lower midi notes (i.e. C2 instead of C3). The drum rack track is armed and I can get padkontrol to control Drum Rack without farmpad. But when farmpad is running, nothing happens when I hit the pads. I've even checked Midi Monitor to verify that the pads are sending midi notes on Channel 10.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

scientist

Re: FARMPAD for padKontrol now v 1.3.1 !!! !!!

Post by scientist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 am

troubleshoot with these steps:
1. make sure midi input for the farmpad has 'remote' selected. this is probably the issue. if not...
2. midi indicator lighting up in the tracks 'midi from' indicator?
3. are any indicators lighting up in the drum rack device's grid overview (the 4xX grid of little squares just to the right of the pads)?
4. if they are, you can then add/subtract and change your note values in the config file to get them to match the active pads (fwiw the drum pads default to begin at C1). or add this to your config file:

switch:12,13
mode:trigger
control:off
switch:12
noteshift:-4
switch:13
noteshift:4

this will allow you to shift the midi notes up/down using the X and Y buttons (right below the rotary encoder).

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:49 am

Got all excited thinking this was a dedicated controller for all us West Country types :(

I'll get back to drinking Scrumpy and shagging my sister.

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:17 pm

scientist wrote:troubleshoot with these steps:
1. make sure midi input for the farmpad has 'remote' selected. this is probably the issue. if not...
2. midi indicator lighting up in the tracks 'midi from' indicator?
3. are any indicators lighting up in the drum rack device's grid overview (the 4xX grid of little squares just to the right of the pads)?
4. if they are, you can then add/subtract and change your note values in the config file to get them to match the active pads (fwiw the drum pads default to begin at C1).
Thanks, it works now! You were right. I had to also turn input remote on for farmpad. And I had to lower the notes starting with C1.

farmpad FTW!!!

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 am

its been too long since i've been on the forums.
I've been strugling with programmin' or even getting started wit farmpad
heard so much about it.
been so long since i worked wit c.. c++ etc...
or setting up apps like this... oh my freaking head..
anyone got a template they would share to get me started?
would be greatly appreciated!!!'

thanks ahead of time!

michael
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:36 am

dphouse84 wrote:its been too long since i've been on the forums.
I've been strugling with programmin' or even getting started wit farmpad
heard so much about it.
been so long since i worked wit c.. c++ etc...
or setting up apps like this... oh my freaking head..
Um, honestly, have you read the instruction text that comes with it? I admit it does require one to do some work in typing out how you want it but customizing it exactly how you would want seems to be the whole point of farmpad. I just find your comment puzzling because I'm illiterate when it comes to programming languages, so something like farmpad was a godsend for someone like me because all the programming has been done for you. It does make you think about exactly how you want your setup to be before you can implement it, which is a good thing imo. But it's way easier than setting up a custom midi remote script that's built into Live. If you have any experience working wth c or c++, I would imagine this would be a piece of cake. Seriously, read the instruction text that comes with it and it should start to make sense. I can see that it might scare some people away because it requires typing into the terminal to run it.

I admit, I put off setting it up for a long time because I felt too lazy to start designing just how I wanted it. It's definitely not like nativeKONTROL where all the thinking and designing has been done for you which is not as rewarding and usually not how you want it.

iamamonkeysoareyou

Post by iamamonkeysoareyou » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:40 am

any sight of a windows version?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:11 am

anyone got a template they would share to get me started?

I can give you some templates, but the thing is that each template is specifically dedicated to a particular workflow.

(a template to launch clips will be very different than one for playing a drumkit, or another to mute/solo/record tracks...)

I use SMULTRON, a free app that allows you to edit all kind of txt files, html...

with this app, you can open several files, and easily copy/paste what you need from the different txt files provided with farmpad.

I also use some command files to launch farmpad with diferent user setups, this is lots easier than typing the whole command in terminal. you can easily find the "how to" make command files on the web.

with smultron, and a command file to launch farmpad with your setup, it's really easy to test your mods in the setup file, "hotswapping" really fast and test.

BUT FIRST OF ALL : THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED. farmpad allows you to make some really powerful and complex setups, but first you've got to begin easy. i.e, trying to set up a scene for lauching clips, or a scene to play one or two impulses / drumrack.

good luck!

any sight of a windows version?
nope...

doot doot doot

Post by doot doot doot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Is it possible to do something like scale selection with farmpad? I have a group of switches set to retrigger with each of them set to a different scale/mode.

Code: Select all

//Dorian
switch:4
pad:15,11,6,2
	noteshift:-1

//Phrygian
switch:5
pad:14,15,10,11,5,6,1,2,4
	noteshift:-1
Is this valid? After adding it to my config Ableton no longer receives MIDI data from farmpad. The MIDI in indicator light at the very top of Ableton lights up but the individual track indicator (set to farmpad/All MIDI Channels) does not.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks for pointing to this nice app! :D
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

mrstuthecupcakeman

Post by mrstuthecupcakeman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Hope someone can help me

I'm running farmpad 1.3.1 on a new unibody mabook pro with snow leopard and ableton 8.0.8
The problem is this: farmpad works fine in as a clip launcher, ie when sending CC, but I used to have scenes 13 and 16 set up to play notes (c3/c#3/d3/d#3 etc etc) and it's this that no longer works!

I've tried selecting farmpad and channel 13 in the midi from drop down on the channel I'm using but no joy, and I've gone through my config file but I'm seeing nothing out of sorts.

The strange thing is it works perfectly with live 6.
Even stranger is it works with live 8 on my friends macbook pro (2008ish) running leopard.
There appears to be no consistency...I can't figure out weather it's the live upgrade or the OS upgrade.....any ideas???

I've got a gig tomorrow night in London too (panic!)

cheers in advance

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:33 am

Does anyone know of a way to quit farmpad other than typing control+C while in active farmpad mode in Terminal?

I'm trying to have farmpad turn on and off automatically in the background without having to do it manually every time I use Live. There's a few easy way to start farmpad using the command that invokes the config text by making an Automator app or using QuicKeys, but since the only way to quit out of farmpad that I know of is to type Control+C while in active farmpad mode (since this is not a shell script command that you can make it into automator workflow/app or run with QuicKeys), the only way to quit out of it is to restart the computer or open the terminal, run farmpad and then do the Control+C (This is because all the way to automate starting farmpad will start it fine but will not stay in active mode in Terminal). This causes problems in Live that makes it think that multiple farmpads are open on different Ports. I find that when this happens, unless I restart the computer, if I ever quit and re-open Live, it will still think that multiple farmpads are open on different ports.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Does anyone know of a way to quit farmpad other than typing control+C while in active farmpad mode in Terminal?
well I don't know any tip about that.

I've been used to make my own clickable icon (liveset1.command, liveset2.command...) now, and i'ts a cool time and error saver.

But I've been also used to ctrl+C while in the terminal to exit farmpad. Is it soooo bad?

even when working "live" on the config textfiles, I don't feel it over complicated. Just have to EXIT farmpad before launching the new setup textfile for testing in. never had a single real bug, never had to reboot!

-say, I'm on live's window (tweaking and assigning pots...), and I want to change something in the farmpad user setup file (I always open it in the backqround with Smultron when tweaking live),
-cmd+tab =>choose texteditor window
- change parameters in farmpad user file, then SAVE file
- cmd+tab =>choose terminal
- ctrl+C => quit farmpad
- liveset1.command (in the right side of the dock, fo easy access)
- cmd+tab => return to live window, with the new farmpad config loaded...

No more than 2 keystrokes are needed to quit farmpad (1 for reaching terminal's window, the other to actually quit farmpad).

If you launch farmpad, then exit farmpad after quitting live.... there must be NO problem, NO NEED TO reboot Live or even the computer!! 8O

but, yes, don't lauch 10 instances of farmpad :lol:

cheers

if farmpad could be an APPLICATION by itself, indeed we could have it running in the dock and upside tool bar, then it would be really easy to quit, like every other app.