edIT's synth/melodic line sound choices?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fatrabbit

edIT's synth/melodic line sound choices?

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I don't know if you guys are familiar with edIT (http://www.myspace.com/edit) and his most recent album - Certified Air Raid Material.

What do you guys think he is using for his lead/melodic lines? In many of his tracks it sounds as if there are several different synth (if they are synth created) lines, but i'm having trouble getting anywhere near them. Any ideas? Sounds like an awful lot of filtering on them too. Perhaps they are transformed samples - of a guitar or something?

There's a new track on his Myspace player called 'Monday Glitch Mob Remix' that shares similar traits and is a good example of what I mean.

avb

Post by avb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 am

bump on this!

and if anyone knows what he's using for his glitchery, I'd love to know that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:03 am

I don't really have any answers for you here, but I'm really liking this style of music right now. I write more down tempo as it is so I think I would find this style more approachable then turning my BPM up 40 and trying to write slammin house.

I'm also thinking because of the lower tempo that a lot of the glitchiness (at least in recordings) is done manually and not so much some uber plug-in. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and will just say the music is cool.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:11 am

Wish I would have looked at this thread earlier, Glitch Mob just played here this weekend and I could have asked him.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:20 am

Tarekith wrote:Wish I would have looked at this thread earlier, Glitch Mob just played here this weekend and I could have asked him.
Did you go to the show? They are playing here in a couple of weeks and I am thinking of checking it out and wondering if it's worth checking out.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:50 am

i believe he/glitchmob use mostly samples don't they? i think alot of people mistake their sample work for synth work as well as others like el-p (diff style i know) .
rabbit

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:16 am

o0o wrote:i believe he/glitchmob use mostly samples don't they? i think alot of people mistake their sample work for synth work as well as others like el-p (diff style i know) .
I'd go with this..
Non of the lead type stuff sounds regular enough to be a synth.
Sounds more like small wave forms taken out of bigger samples.
Check out some of the stuff that was given up for the junk delux competition on these boards a while back for some examples of others doing the same thing but in different
styles.
There also seem to be lots of SID/8Bit type sounds gOing on as well.
This is very cool...
8)
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:27 am

Being a friend and contemporary of those guys, I can tell you that I'm sure samples are used, but I know for fact those guys use a lot of synths, both software and hardware as well.

I think they're just synths with well written patches, usually a couple of layers.

My other guess is that there is a fair bit of band splitting and processing happening to get those large lead lines.

Start with a beefy saw in unison mode-- in something like massive. write a lead with it, using a medium portamento, in mono mode so that you can only play one note at a time. Bounce it down and copy it to another track. Then highpass one, add some distortion and boost it's highs, and maybe add some slow phasing, chorus, or whatever. On the other lead track, bandpass filter it, excluding the highs and lows, or do similar with an EQ. Put some comb/notch filter, more phasing, maybe some distortion on it. It might get ya in the ballpark.

Seriously, I think their leads are all about saw tooth oscillators, boosted high end, lots of distortion, portamento, and creative filtering.

Just get fresh with it.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 am

i think their lead lines are actualy guitar samples
rabbit

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:15 am

try running a synth with a sawtooth oscillator through guitar rig, or ohmicide, or any amp sim, and you'll get really close results.

see the light

Post by see the light » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 am

I saw the Crunkmaster at Fabric not so long ago...ghetto fuckin' playa!

I know he uses a Rhodes a lot, not heard his new album though so can't overly comment. I think Glitch Mob are sample heavy in what they do though...
www.soundcloud.com/passerines

Audio Fuck Jiggery since 2005

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:22 am

yep they come from that whole low end theory scene which is really a bunch of samplist and turntablist, they kind of exist in that inbetween space.
rabbit

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Have any of you actually had a conversation with these guys to confirm this?

Obviously the Drums, acapellas, & vocal bits are samples.

I'm pretty sure the rest are synths.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 pm

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 pm

he even resamples softsynths, hence the name {edit} cause thats what he really does, alot of editing. notice in the vid he never talks about synths, only turntables and samples and editing. of course he probably has every softsynth known to man why not everybody does but he's not into synths.