PC Format/Wipe and Reinstall - Tips/Potential Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pabloaugustus

PC Format/Wipe and Reinstall - Tips/Potential Issues

Post by pabloaugustus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:54 pm

My laptop has been crawling for the last year, I've been meaning to do a wipe and restore to factory default for sometime; the last straw was a crashed uninstall of norton security which has left me with crippled internet access, only certain sites etc....after hacking the registry and clearing most things out, the norton removal program still won't run....long story short, its time to restore this computer to factory defaults.

I just wanted to ask you guys for tips on this process especially with regards to being able to reinstall live and have it work just as it does currently. Do I just need to write down my key and enter it when I reinstall? (BTW, my original discs are live 5 w/EIC) I will also be getting a desktop in the next year and want to run Live on that and don't want them to think I'm trying to run three copies. Other software with keys that I'm using include BFD and NI Battery.

I'm used to the usual routine when wiping and restoring a PC but just want to make sure I'm aware of all the issues related to my audio software and the copy protection.

Thanks!!!!
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 pm

you might not have to "wipe" all your data or programs.
most of the time if windows is acting up you can just repair windows. you will install a new copy of windows but save all your data.
here is a guide.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 pm

nathannn wrote:you might not have to "wipe" all your data or programs.
most of the time if windows is acting up you can just repair windows. you will install a new copy of windows but save all your data.
here is a guide.
Thanks for your reply! I don't actually have an XP cd, just a hidden partition that I can boot to with options to reinstall just windows xp, or restore the hard drive to factory.

Its true, I can choose to reinstall just the windows XP, which would fix my problem, but then none of the programs are in the registry so I would have to reinstall anyway. Backing up and importing the registry would recreate the problems I am trying to fix.

Backing up data is a breeze, so for me it makes much more sense and will be much more clean to just wipe and reinstall.

Any info on potential serial/reg problems with live would be appreciated.
Last edited by pabloaugustus on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 pm

pabloaugustus wrote:
here is a guide.
Thanks for your reply! I don't actually have an XP cd, just a hidden partition that I can boot to with options to reinstall just windows xp, or restore the hard drive to factory.

Its true, I can choose to reinstall just the windows XP, which would fix my problem, but then none of the programs are in the registry so I would have to reinstall anyway. Backing up and importing the registry would recreate the problems I am trying to fix.

Backing up data is a breeze, so for me it makes much more sense and will be much more clean to just wipe and reinstall.
if you read the guide in the link it will show you step by step how to repair windows without losing any data. after a repair is made you will see everything as it was prior to the repair. if you have never done this then read the guide first. windows kind of makes it hard to do a repair.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 pm

nathannn wrote:
pabloaugustus wrote:
here is a guide.

if you read the guide in the link it will show you step by step how to repair windows without losing any data. after a repair is made you will see everything as it was prior to the repair. if you have never done this then read the guide first. windows kind of makes it hard to do a repair.
Thanks for you help bro but I 've done this process dozens of times. I'm not sure if you understand the registry issues involved and why this option isn't the one I'm choosing.

I intend to wipe and reinstall, and just want to know more fully how abletons serial#/reg process works with regards to reinstalls and multiple copies.

If you have any info on this, please reply. Thanks!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:56 pm

don't expect much trouble re: ableton license. just don't do it on the weekend, etc.

chances are you have unlocks still available. if not, they're pretty nice about giving you new ones if you just email them with an explanation

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:00 pm

longjohns wrote:don't expect much trouble re: ableton license. just don't do it on the weekend, etc.

chances are you have unlocks still available. if not, they're pretty nice about giving you new ones if you just email them with an explanation
nice....thanks for the info, I'll wait till monday to get to work then!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 pm

IF you can, try and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard and videocard now while you still have things working somewhat. Burn those an any other drivers you might need (soundcard, printers, etc) to a DVDr before you wipe. Just in case, at least you'll have the core system up and running for sure.

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 am

Tarekith wrote:IF you can, try and download all the latest drivers for your motherboard and videocard now while you still have things working somewhat. Burn those an any other drivers you might need (soundcard, printers, etc) to a DVDr before you wipe. Just in case, at least you'll have the core system up and running for sure.
Thats a good tip 4 sho! Thanks. I'll also have spybot s&d & spyware blaster ready to install with a hardware or software firewall setup before I plug in the network cable, then its time to rock & roll!!!

I find that completely wiping and reinstalling a computer every 3-5 years is a good practice to keep the install clean and fast....I do it for clients all the time but almost never take the half a day's time to do it for myself....so this one is a long time coming and I'm stoked!!!