automap is ruining our lives!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
radioactivesandwich

automap is ruining our lives!

Post by radioactivesandwich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:16 am

so we're playing our first show with ableton next friday and we're having MASSIVE issues getting our remoteSL to work with ableton. we had it working a few months ago, then stopped messing around with it, and now its all whack. i've uninstalled automap from the laptop itself but it is still built into the SL

our setup is:
laptop
edirol ua-20 soundcard (ghetto, i know)
remoteSL
Ableton 6

so i have a few questions, and hopefully someone here can help out.

1. in the midi settings, i choose REMOTESL with port 1 as the input and output. then i turn port 1 on for all 3 button options on the same page. is that right? half the time, ableton doesn't see my CC numbers, but FLStudio does so i know the controller is sending messages.

2. when in ableton, if i click on the midi assign button, then click a knob and move a controller, it sets. then, when i unclick the midi button, it changes my SL template! that can NOT happen live! wtf??!?! i tried deleting every template on the SL and only loading my custom ones and it STILL goes to template 40 where ableton's used to be stored.

3. even when i load up the ableton automap, nothing happens. wtf?

anyone that can help us would be loved deeply forever. we're excited to use ableton at our show but if its going to have issues iwth the remote like this then F it...

all we want to do is be able to assign our own templates to Ableton on the fly adn have that work. why is that so difficult?!?!

thanks!

Cache

Post by Cache » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:41 am

i had automapping working fine as well a while back. but since the new automap, things have changed so much that i haven't gotten my head around the new setup.
also, the automap has caused a whole bunch of vst compatibility issues....

for me i use port 2 i think.

safe option is to enable it for each port until you find the one that the automap data is coming out of then you can disable the other two.
not sure about using diff templates...
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

Geezus

Re: automap is ruining our lives!

Post by Geezus » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 am

radioactivesandwich wrote:so we're playing our first show with ableton next friday and we're having MASSIVE issues getting our remoteSL to work with ableton. we had it working a few months ago, then stopped messing around with it, and now its all whack. i've uninstalled automap from the laptop itself but it is still built into the SL

our setup is:
laptop
edirol ua-20 soundcard (ghetto, i know)
remoteSL
Ableton 6

so i have a few questions, and hopefully someone here can help out.

1. in the midi settings, i choose REMOTESL with port 1 as the input and output. then i turn port 1 on for all 3 button options on the same page. is that right? half the time, ableton doesn't see my CC numbers, but FLStudio does so i know the controller is sending messages.

2. when in ableton, if i click on the midi assign button, then click a knob and move a controller, it sets. then, when i unclick the midi button, it changes my SL template! that can NOT happen live! wtf??!?! i tried deleting every template on the SL and only loading my custom ones and it STILL goes to template 40 where ableton's used to be stored.

3. even when i load up the ableton automap, nothing happens. wtf?

anyone that can help us would be loved deeply forever. we're excited to use ableton at our show but if its going to have issues iwth the remote like this then F it...

all we want to do is be able to assign our own templates to Ableton on the fly adn have that work. why is that so difficult?!?!

thanks!
First of all, you shouldnt be assigning controls to automap templates through ableton in the first place. That isn't how automap works. You assign automap controls through the SL itself, or the automap 2.0 GUI, Second of all, automap is designed to be used for general mixing and triggering purposes (#40) and individual plugins (#38). If you want to control a wide variety of controls over several plugins like a normal MIDI controller, you have to enable the MIDI channels(you have 16 to choose from) in the drop down menu on the automap taskbar icon and cycle through each one you enabled inn the automap #38 template. So, for instance, you enable channel 1, 2, and 3 in the drop down menu. You go to the automap universal template (#38) and cycle to channel 1. From here you have a bunch of open faders and buttons and whatnot that you can freely assign using live's midi assign function. once you used up all of those, you can cycle to channel 2 and use all those, then channel 3, etc. You can also use the GUI to reconfigure the midi channel properties as well, for instance making the buttons hold instead of toggle and changing step properties and other shit like that.

guerillabass

Post by guerillabass » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:32 am

Geezus wrote:
...automap is designed to be used for general mixing and triggering purposes (#40) and individual plugins (#38). If you want to control a wide variety of controls over several plugins like a normal MIDI controller, you have to enable the MIDI channels(you have 16 to choose from) in the drop down menu on the automap taskbar icon and cycle through each one you enabled inn the automap #38 template. So, for instance, you enable channel 1, 2, and 3 in the drop down menu. You go to the automap universal template (#38) and cycle to channel 1. From here you have a bunch of open faders and buttons and whatnot that you can freely assign using live's midi assign function. once you used up all of those, you can cycle to channel 2 and use all those, then channel 3, etc. You can also use the GUI to reconfigure the midi channel properties as well, for instance making the buttons hold instead of toggle and changing step properties and other shit like that.
Thats a good explanation of it all.

Does switching between #40 and #38 work "perfectly" for you guys ?

I am at work but i will check it when i get home.
I had some issues with it in the last Automaping incarnation so i couldnt use it how i had hoped to.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:44 am

radioactivesandwich wrote:
I got SL again last week so I am no expert-only read the manual and watched the videos but it works perfectly for me.
Why dont you read the manual as I did- at least Live setup section, it says - SELECT PORT 2- and not port 1 as you did.
I think port 1 is just midi interface for your hardware, 3 is for automap.

radioactivesandwich

Post by radioactivesandwich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:09 pm

thanks everyone! i'll try this all at home tonight.

vicz

Post by vicz » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:35 pm

There are some good Automap 2 videos (at last) on their website http://www.novationmusic.com/support/video_tutorials/

radioactivesandwich

Post by radioactivesandwich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 pm

here's another question actually.

last night i got the keyboard keys to send messages to ableton but the knobs wouldn't respond at all.when using ableton automap template, if i changed a parameter on ableton, it changed it on the novation, but not the other way around.

also, whenever i tried to change the midi OUT in the preferences window, ableton freezes up immediately and i have to shut down my computer. any ideas? i can't change my midi settings!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 pm

i hate to derail the thread, but i just gotta ask:

Is radiactive sandwich a reference to David Cross's racist zombie bit? If so, you are freakin awesome.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

radioactivesandwich

Post by radioactivesandwich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 pm

it's not actually. never seen it. but we can pretend!

since you live in jersey though, come on out to our show in newark next friday ay QXTs!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:33 pm

ahhh! Newark, America's Paris. Well, i'm actually down in central jerz, Trenton. But I may give it a shot. I like music.

.lm.

radioactivesandwich

Post by radioactivesandwich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:35 pm

i just drove by your lovely bridge the other day! you guys make and the world takes!!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:44 pm

porkroll and champale, baby.

i love Trenton.

.lm.

radioactivesandwich

Post by radioactivesandwich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:36 pm

since we got OT for a minute, i wanted to repost this question:

last night i got the keyboard keys to send messages to ableton but the knobs wouldn't respond at all.when using ableton automap template, if i changed a parameter on ableton, it changed it on the novation, but not the other way around.

also, whenever i tried to change the midi OUT in the preferences window, ableton freezes up immediately and i have to shut down my computer. any ideas? i can't change my midi settings!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:37 pm

if I recall correctly...

port 1 is for they keyboard
port 2 is for the controls and automap

there aren't that many controls with the SL, just spend some time changing them, try all the settings. there is a VERY lame thing to their menus, hit GLOBAL and look at the settings, then hit GLOBAL again, there's another menu. f-ing retarded way to bury menus.

in Live Control Surface is the setting for automap, automap has nothing to do with the remote/track/sync settings, those are for standard midi.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz