Program Change recognition - WHY NOT?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 am

Machinesworking wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: This is the cost of going with a single manufacturer, you but up against their concepts of what interface etc is all about. Sorry, someone mentioned Reactor somewhere in this thread I though, and it responds easily to program changes. No native Ableton stuff does at all! from what I know.

The only advantages of all native are file management, and stability. CPU wise Ableton has never gone for lean, and IMO sound wise, Zebra, Reactor and Absynth rule. Couldn't go all native unless they somehow highjack Urs and force all Uh-He products as embedded Live instruments.
i agree, however it depends on what kind of music you do. as for me, now with my new band, using alot of external instruments, guitars, drums and whatnots, its better to go as much native as possible, since we dont require that much. ;)
I've thought about that myself, considering I mainly use hardware synths for all the beef of a song. Thing is software is so nice these days, program changes, huge sound etc. I'm a maximalist at heart.
i guess we all are, even though we dont want to admit to it heh.

dlwhite

Re: Program Change recognition - WHY NOT?

Post by dlwhite » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:26 pm

I agree 100% - Plus it's not documented that PC messages aren't supported so I just wasted a ton of time trying to figure out if my old ADA MPC controller was broken. ABLETON, PLEASE support PC messages for MIDI remote.

mbenigni wrote:So here I go again... in my endless quest to come up with a simple solution to the MIDI floorboard thing, I bought myself a MIDI Moose. And yes I should have remembered that Live wouldn're recognize output from a Program Change device because I've been down this road before with a similar Digitech product.

So my question is this: WHY (why why why why) can't Ableton respond to Program Change messages in addition to note on/off and cc messages? If there is a good sound technical reason for this omission, then I will be off with my tail between my legs, but otherwise, to be frank, this is beginning to piss me off. There just aren't many options out there and for Live itself to narrow the playing field further is really quite unacceptable.

BTW I am aware that I can run a 3rd party app in the background eg. Bomes etc to convert PC to CC, for instance, but I am trying to get away from control solutions that require additional applications to launch, configure, get wrong occasionally, eat up CPU cycles, and generally give me more stuff to think about that isn't playing music. I've already got a lot of (too many) floorboards - homegrown and otherwise - that work but just require too much fussing about.

Please explain to me why this can't be as simple as cc/note support.

Glennzone

Post by Glennzone » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Boy, oh boy, did my thread get hijacked . . . No problem. It happens. :-)

A couple notes to add to the "mouldy history" folder :
I have absolutely NO disdain for DJ's as has been intimated by at least 1 individual. I am perpetually amazed at the capabilities and creative experimentation. We have ALL helped to push the boundaries (including the commercial mainstays) so much so that "limitation" no longer has the power it once held. Thank you DJ's, and musicians and developers alike.

It's a wide-open road before us, and I've embraced other solutions while most importantly always remaining true to my workflow, which is entirely improvisational. It has been no easy road, but I'm currently working on the very last of the "customizations" necessary to fully implement my process, which will become virtually invisible to me before too long, so I can focus on creating the music I hear in my head from scratch (possible DJ pun ? :-P), right before our very eyes. I could not have done it without the choices made over these years by a great many individuals, of which I am but one. The tools are now in our hands.

I have no axe to grind, and there is certainly no longer any fight other than the challenges I choose to accept. In every battle, there are heroes on both sides, and I have come to terms with that rather happily because the light at the end of the tunnel is now only the light. Tunnel is behind me now, and I am enjoying my view of the wide-open journey ahead, one beautiful step at a time.

I'm still very happily using Ableton Live (for over TEN YEARS now ! I almost can't believe it), but in the intervening years since, have developed in Max and M4L the missing pieces of what was previously lacking, one of which is a full-blown application of my own design, which performs flawlessly ! I am very proud and honored to be able to say that my extended labor of such devoted Love and dedication has given birth to something I believe will come to be admired and respected by the creatives of the world. Thanks Abletonians and Maxists for providing such wonderful tools. Time heals all wounds. :-)

On behalf of the Ableton community, I also wish to thank the generosity and dedication shown over the years by those special individuals whom I still have never had the pleasure to meet, namely St8, Hoffman2K, and so many others, but especially WillyC and my dear and near-distant friend Julien Bayle. I thank them all for the insight and perspective I have gained, and the fruits thereof which I now enjoy. I AM a happy man. :-)

More to come.

Again, thank you all,
Glennzone
http://lico.drupalgardens.com

Various musical\non-musical MIDI controllers

SW : Ableton Live 8.4.2 Suite (using MIDI only), M4L, Max6, Custom Max app
Cubase Elements 7, VEP5, Komplete9, SD2.2

P.S. WillyC (or perhaps some other intrepid Ableton Live Remote Script Python developer) : I have that one additional tweak to my customized Launchpad script I would still like to implement. I want only to add the code necessary to record-arm the track I'm clip recording on (if it's not already armed), and as always, I'm willing to pay for it.
Last edited by Glennzone on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glennzone

Post by Glennzone » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Oops ! This wasn't even my thread ! ! ! :-D
HW : MacMini (OSX, 16GB),
HP ZBbook 15 (W7 64-bit, 32GB RAM)

Various musical\non-musical MIDI controllers

SW : Ableton Live 8.4.2 Suite (using MIDI only), M4L, Max6, Custom Max app
Cubase Elements 7, VEP5, Komplete9, SD2.2

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:00 am

Necro bump fail :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering