Absynth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Absynth is the one soft synth I find no, (and arguably better) comparison in hardware. User since 1.5; Absynth, Zebra, and Reactor are the most used in my case. But honestly, Absynth by far. Like others have said, it's a personal choice, but for airy pads, and digital bass, lead lines, Absynth all the way.

Seriously, if I ended up selling Komplete 5, I would just have to buy Absynth again. :)

Also, take this as advice from somebody who's tired of soft synths. Probably all of my purchases from now on will be hardware analog.
... What about this:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/twrack/

It's hardware & software at the same time...

:roll:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

mtm

Post by mtm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:08 pm

yeah, Absynth is killer, I'm pretty brand new to it, but the ability to use external input, samples as oscillators, wave morphing, insane envelope capability, and general ease of use despite the deep/wide functionality already have me hooked. It goes far, far beyond what you hear in the presets.

-mm

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Pasha wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Absynth is the one soft synth I find no, (and arguably better) comparison in hardware. User since 1.5; Absynth, Zebra, and Reactor are the most used in my case. But honestly, Absynth by far. Like others have said, it's a personal choice, but for airy pads, and digital bass, lead lines, Absynth all the way.

Seriously, if I ended up selling Komplete 5, I would just have to buy Absynth again. :)

Also, take this as advice from somebody who's tired of soft synths. Probably all of my purchases from now on will be hardware analog.
... What about this:

I like the dedicated interface for controlling the parameters, and the analog components......
Seriously, Receptor is a Linux OS designed specifically for VI and FX, but it's not an Evolver. I've never been able to comfortably reconcile the extra layer of abstraction it very necessarily adds with the benefits of a low latency stable OS.

When Receptor also hosts a DAW like Live, then I'll think about it. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Pasha wrote:

... What about this:

I like the dedicated interface for controlling the parameters, and the analog components......
Seriously, Receptor is a Linux OS designed specifically for VI and FX, but it's not an Evolver. I've never been able to comfortably reconcile the extra layer of abstraction it very necessarily adds with the benefits of a low latency stable OS.

When Receptor also hosts a DAW like Live, then I'll think about it. :)

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:47 pm

ABsynth's sound IS amazing and with version 4 it's even more user friendly.
But I still don't personally see it is a "Fire up and start tweaking with knobs" type of a synth. And unless you really learn it you will probably just end up using it as more of a "Preset Player" instrument (which is fine. Theres hundreds of them and they're all great).
I like to resort to absynth when I want to find long washy, textural types of sounds mostly. But I always resort to other synths if I want to start immediately tweaking LFO's and other common synth parameters.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Machinesworking wrote: When Receptor also hosts a DAW like Live, then I'll think about it. :)
Thats not really the point of it.
Have you checked out the uni-wire videos?
I'm seriously contemplating one of these to run all my softsynths on...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Homebelly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: When Receptor also hosts a DAW like Live, then I'll think about it. :)
Haven't checked them out lately. It still adds another layer of complexity though. Unless they spend an in ordinate amount of time and resources on the Uniwire interface to make sure that Receptor is 100% compatible with every twist and turn that OSX, Ableton, and third party manufacturers throw at them, (which is debatable considering that a large amount of their user base are buying Receptors for running live in traditional rock bands), then it's quite possible that an update to OSX/Windows/Live/third party pug ins causes Uniwire to behave badly.

Anyway, not trying to knock it, but I do think they missed the boat, if they ever open up the OS to DAW manufacturers, and stop charging ghastly amounts for decently sized hard drives, then it could easily become a sort of Pro Tools for composers. Just a simple DAW like Energy XT and I would consider it. Even better, if Numerology (OSX analog modeled step sequencer) ported, and leave traditional audio recording etc. to regular computers. 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Homebelly wrote:
Haven't checked them out lately. It still adds another layer of complexity though. Unless they spend an in ordinate amount of time and resources on the Uniwire interface to make sure that Receptor is 100% compatible with every twist and turn that OSX, Ableton, and third party manufacturers throw at them, (which is debatable considering that a large amount of their user base are buying Receptors for running live in traditional rock bands), then it's quite possible that an update to OSX/Windows/Live/third party pug ins causes Uniwire to behave badly.

Anyway, not trying to knock it, but I do think they missed the boat, if they ever open up the OS to DAW manufacturers, and stop charging ghastly amounts for decently sized hard drives, then it could easily become a sort of Pro Tools for composers. Just a simple DAW like Energy XT and I would consider it. Even better, if Numerology (OSX analog modeled step sequencer) ported, and leave traditional audio recording etc. to regular computers. 8)

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:33 pm

i don't have absynth anymore but i did get the best of absynth kore soundpack and it is by far the coolest one i've played with so far...

i'm lazy though, so the idea of easily tweakable presets with no real technical synthy stuff to learn appeals to my tiny brain 8)

blank

Post by blank » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 pm

Just wanted to add that this pack is an excellent absynth addon

http://www.galbanum.com/products/architecture-ni/

1800 absynth waveforms
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:21 am

blank wrote:Just wanted to add that this pack is an excellent absynth addon

1800 absynth waveforms
Indeed. My favorite feature of Absynth 4 over earlier versions is that they removed the 256 item limit to the library folders and allowed subfolders.

With Absynth 3, you had to shuffle waveforms to keep under 256; the app used an eight bit addressing scheme to access the library.

ew

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:42 am

1800 absynth waveforms
While your at it go get the CE .wav version as well.
They put it together for Rapture, but its straight ahead wave files and sampler/simpler loves them.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:01 am

Homebelly wrote:

1800 absynth waveforms
While your at it go get the CE .wav version as well.
They put it together for Rapture, but its straight ahead wave files and sampler/simpler loves them.
I use them (the CE version) in Rapture, but I haven't tried them in simpler yet. Hmmm...

ew

ausgeno

Post by ausgeno » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:10 am

Absynth is brilliant, but for a little more cash you can get the NI Komplete Synths collection which is just the ducks nuts imo.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 am

It's a great synth but the interface is more cumbersome than it needs to be. If it weren't for the granular capabilities I probably wouldn't use it at all because Zebra is so much easier to use. The sheer number of patches available in the factory presets and the online user library is a plus for Absynth though.