making work into play (philisophical life skills thread)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ciw

making work into play (philisophical life skills thread)

Post by ciw » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:24 pm

Hobbies are fun, but whatever you choose for work becomes dreary.

This happened to me with computer programming, which as a kid I did for fun. Not that I don't get some really great moments at work (and I wish I knew how to make them happen more often...), but inevitably whatever you choose as your job has it's dull periods.

And of course (like many of you lot here I'm sure) the more seriously I take my music/work on it, the more that suffers from the same problem.

So specifically with respect to the music issue - how do you all deal with this one? Any advice? :D

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Man, I just made a post asking people how much they hate thier jobs... Then I read this... Ha...

So yeah, I used to make tunes strictly for fun. Then one day I had a brilliant idea...

I can make $ off of this!!!

Ever since then, I've made nothing but shit.

Doesn't help much though that the majority of my time is spent in some shit hole I call my job, the office...

Fuck...

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Don´t the good moments pay for off for the dull work? If they don´t, I´d spend less time with it.

ciw

Post by ciw » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Grappadura wrote:Don´t the good moments pay for off for the dull work? If they don´t, I´d spend less time with it.
Sure.

But you'd think that, given when something is 'play' the dull parts are practically nonexistant... there is some psychological trick to making the dull parts good as well. Right? ;)

gjm

Re: making work into play (philisophical life skills thread)

Post by gjm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 pm

ciw wrote:Hobbies are fun, but whatever you choose for work becomes dreary.

So specifically with respect to the music issue - how do you all deal with this one? Any advice? :D
Philosophically speaking, of course, (meaning one size does not fit all) I would offer the following comments.

1. Things got better for me when I shifted my focus from a career to a lifestyle. The well worn saying "work to live, not live to work" is relevant here. This of course does not mean you should stop paying attention to developing your worth in the market place, it just means that there is a bigger picture to life than career obsession, and this includes being involved in music full time. Balance.

2. It is my opinion that there is no such thing as the concept of creativity. Often when people talk about being 'creative' they are referring to a feeling they have about their work. If in their minds they think they are doing something they like, they then consider themselves as creative. If they also decide that they are doing something they describe as shit, they often conclude that they are 'not being very creative.' There is often a process of self judgment taking place. This of course is feelings based, and does not take into consideration the impact your work has on others. Simply learning to finish your pieces of work and let others do the judging is a glass ceiling many people never break through.

In order to avoid this trap, and to finish my projects, I decided to take the posture that my 'ideas' are actually not mine. They are tasks given to me to complete on behalf of another. I have accepted that tasks involve work, routine, and the tandem practice of using and developing my skill base. I also accept that developing and using a skill at the present might seem like work, but later will likely feel second nature to me. Therefore, regardless of my feelings, whether it feels like work or not, stuff just needs to get done to the best of my current ability, even if I feel dull or dreary.

Because I have been assigned a task, I am therefore free not to attach imagined expectations to my completed work.

I have done a few things over the years. Currently I am doing music stuff full time. I find myself bouncing back and forth between original work and other peoples work. It is often hard work. In then end though, it supports my lifestyle. At times it feels like any other job I have had. But because my feelings of self worth do not come from my job, or even my art, I don't trip myself up nearly as much as I did when I was younger.

Perception is reality.

Now for a bowl of muesli.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:45 pm

oppps....stereo.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:18 am

gjm wrote: Philosophically speaking, of course, (meaning one size does not fit all) I would offer the following comments.

1. Things got better for me when I shifted my focus from a career to a lifestyle. The well worn saying "work to live, not live to work" is relevant here. This of course does not mean you should stop paying attention to developing your worth in the market place, it just means that there is a bigger picture to life than career obsession, and this includes being involved in music full time. Balance.

2. It is my opinion that there is no such thing as the concept of creativity. Often when people talk about being 'creative' they are referring to a feeling they have about their work. If in their minds they think they are doing something they like, they then consider themselves as creative. If they also decide that they are doing something they describe as shit, they often conclude that they are 'not being very creative.' There is often a process of self judgment taking place. This of course is feelings based, and does not take into consideration the impact your work has on others. Simply learning to finish your pieces of work and let others do the judging is a glass ceiling many people never break through.

In order to avoid this trap, and to finish my projects, I decided to take the posture that my 'ideas' are actually not mine. They are tasks given to me to complete on behalf of another. I have accepted that tasks involve work, routine, and the tandem practice of using and developing my skill base. I also accept that developing and using a skill at the present might seem like work, but later will likely feel second nature to me. Therefore, regardless of my feelings, whether it feels like work or not, stuff just needs to get done to the best of my current ability, even if I feel dull or dreary.

Because I have been assigned a task, I am therefore free not to attach imagined expectations to my completed work.

I have done a few things over the years. Currently I am doing music stuff full time. I find myself bouncing back and forth between original work and other peoples work. It is often hard work. In then end though, it supports my lifestyle. At times it feels like any other job I have had. But because my feelings of self worth do not come from my job, or even my art, I don't trip myself up nearly as much as I did when I was younger.

Perception is reality.

Now for a bowl of muesli.
Man. This is really well said, imho! You've thought about this a bit, hunh?
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:25 am

ciw, you wanna trade your programming skills for my... my... uh.... grilled cheese making skills? :)

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 am

rahlo wrote:
gjm wrote: Philosophically speaking.....blah blah blah

Perception is reality.
Man. This is really well said, imho! You've thought about this a bit, hunh?
Yeah. I had to deal with some habits that were not helpful. I got 'stuck' for a while and needed to move on. It works for me, for now. G.