Ableton Live Version 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 am

duluxdog wrote:
I bet the Abeleton staff just sit in their office all day forwarding on links to one another, of the shit we dig up/create on these forums.
actually that's on the Ableton youtube account - and that was the first place it showed up, I'm pretty sure it was an Ableton employee who did that! :wink:

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 am

j2j wrote: Any cute Polish Girls using Ableton Live?
I think most of them are in England now

dc43

Post by dc43 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:14 am

That video was pure fun :)

On many levels...

But I would still like a built in vocoder effect :)

If Ableton made a "side chain" compressor, how hard is it to make a vocoder?

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 am

forge wrote:
j2j wrote: Any cute Polish Girls using Ableton Live?
I think most of them are in England now

A lot of them are returning to Poland now. I am told by my Polish friends that the Polish economy is improving and I know that the British economy is getting worse so they are voting with their feet.

I feel sorry for the people that have just opened Polish delis in my area...

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:02 am

i want midi LFO's to controll vst parameters.

this lfo would have many lfo that can modulate one another,we could draw our own wavefrom.

something like this

djbambam

Post by djbambam » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:05 pm

blaugruen7 wrote:i have heared that the only new feature of live 8 will be more than 128 automateable midi parameters...
For me, that alone would be well worth the upgrade. I've been using Rob Papen's Albino 3 and I can't automate the parameters I want because they are all past the 128 limitation. I hope that's included in the update, but I'm positive it will be more than just that. I went to a Live seminar here in Chicago earlier this year and the rep had stated that Live 8 will include more DAW based features. One specific feature he had mentioned that might be in version 8 is that you will be able to group tracks. Live 6 to 7 was a major improvement, so I can't see 7 to 8 being anything less.

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:13 pm

but live 7 does already have group tracks, right?

at least i am using groups tracks with live 7 :-)

i would love to see some more essential sequencer features, like cross faders
and faders at all would be good, too.

or i would love to see the wave form changing according to the volume automation!!!

jah4life

Post by jah4life » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:20 pm

NONONONO!

Less new DAW features!

Get logic cubase nuendo digital performer protools for your DAW needs!

I would love more performance based stuff:

sound-on-sound looping, more effects, midi lfo's, creative routing, etc.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:24 pm

blaugruen7 wrote:but live 7 does already have group tracks, right?

tried that with .wav files yet? only with racks. that's why we need track racks, to go along with out efx/drum/instrument racks. yeah, tracks inside of tracks, and maybe even allow more than one track to play at a time inside of the track racks... this would allow sound on sound, and grouping! and super wacky routing!

insert someone complaining about needing simplicity... then just don't use the feature. :roll:

but it's prolly a crazy idea anywho... :lol:

djbambam

Post by djbambam » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:59 pm

blaugruen7 wrote:but live 7 does already have group tracks, right?

i would love to see some more essential sequencer features, like cross faders
and faders at all would be good, too.

or i would love to see the wave form changing according to the volume automation!!!
You can't group tracks together in Live 7, meaning if you mute/solo one track, all others in the group follow and will also be muted/soloed. This would save time from having to click+command on each track's on/off or solo switch that you wanted to solo or mute. Of course, for example, you can route all your drum tracks to an auxiliary input track and have the option to solo your drums just by clicking the solo button on the aux track.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:52 pm

jah4life wrote:NONONONO!

Less new DAW features!

Get logic cubase nuendo digital performer protools for your DAW needs!

I would love more performance based stuff:

sound-on-sound looping, more effects, midi lfo's, creative routing, etc.
JA, JA, JA Ich geb meine Stimme dafuer!!!

genau, i have said that i don't know how many times here on this forum...

i really don't see the point of having another DAW, there are plenty very good and powerfull ones outthere...

but no serious live tool...

so in my opinion Live should stay Live and improve on simplicity without being 'simple', stability, and being useful for computer live created music, to rock clubs and festivals...

we need a perfect live application and not another DAW. at least not in my opinion...

:!: :!: :!:

p.s. the reason for example i love Traktor so much is because it does only what it is supposed to do... being a DJ Tool nothing else and that is what it does pretty much perfect, Live should do the same, being for playing computer created music live, nothing else.
*** Image GAFM ***

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:39 pm

I for one would love more DAW features in Live 8. I think it would be so cool if I could just use one program for studio and stage, and nothing else. I mainly use Live for production these days anyway, but coming from Cubase I really do miss some DAW features. I think if they would indeed include more "DAW features" Live would truly be unique and the only all-in-one solution for music creation, production and performance. :) Also, who says that these DAW features, i.e. Robert mentioned on the forum that Shift + Arrow will transpose a note by an octave in Live 8, can't be used for Live performances? ;) I am sure Ableton will think very hard about what DAW features to include to not just make it another Sonar, PT , Logic, etc. which are totally bloated.

Anyway, If it's true that Ableton will include more DAW features in Live 8 then big thumbs up from me for more DAW features in Live 8! How many times did I say the word DAW features, hehehe?

Ken

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:43 pm

oops, sorry wrong post.

actually what comes to mind, if they really move more into DAW, then it might not being a bad idea to 'split' the prog into a Live Performance part and a Live production part... kinda Logic / mainstage...

to keep the Perfomance part, simple, nice and tidy and foremost rock solid stable.

just a spontanious thought
*** Image GAFM ***

Crash

Post by Crash » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:01 pm

If Live 8 fixes any of the major issues I am fighting to get fixed since Live 7 came out and asks me to pay for it, especially the ones that kept me from switching to Vista, then I can assure you that I will make use of european customers' 2 year warranty rights.

Beside other things Live 7 is still unuseable on Vista without Aero because of some exotic GUI drawing routines being used. And if you workaround these issues by using Aero (eventhough System Requirements doesn't list Aero as required spec) then performance is restricted by Live's lack of Vista specific optimizations (MMCSS) that are absolutely mandatory when running a low-latency audio application with Aero.

Fix it in 7 :!:

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:19 am

hello !

for live 8 i hope they will implement maybe one of these things...

there should be to have three things for a great moment of joy !!!

1 : possibility to print ,with right click or keyboard shortcuts , in audio clip and midi clips : some basic eqs,comps setting on a plug in 's window

and after, just, to choose the clip you want to modify.
and with right click and a shortcut you apply it.
you can also write automations of parameters in the enveloppe view of a clip, and after printing them.

you can also to select a midi clip (sequence,beat arpeggio etc..),put plugs on it (eqs,comp,or more oriented sound design's fx) adjust setting of each parameter on the plug in's window and print it in audio.
for more precision and ,or, to create movement, you can also use clips envellopes .

2 : a real groove template fx will be great !!

like in the yamaha qy 700 ,to have possibility to apply some midi presets , groove template ,of quantization in real time , from beat to melodies... like an fx with differents presets but to modify the midi skeleton of the groove.
it will be nice to build my own library of presets or templates of groove.

by exple : to have a list of differents musical styles , jazz ,bossa,reggae etc ..
but you may have like 1000 presets and try them life realtime masks or fx to modify the groove of your midi sequence, non destructively.. and after when the mask or preset is good, so , you can use ,my first wish :
YOU CAN NOW PRINT IT DIRECTLY IN AUDIo !! yahou ! :D

3 : crossfades in arrangement view

4 : possibility to have two screens in one : to use session view like a bank and list of clips to simply drag and drop them , all along the timeline in arrangement . no more switch between screens !

5 : more sound design quality tools :

like a : phase vocoder
convolution reverb
spectral delay
more spectral ,fft, tools ..

6 : the possibility to use videos in session like audio:

it would be wicked to assign a videos or a cam movement or a colour ,textures, characters etc..to a sound or sequence !!!

for a live performance , it would be a great experience !

POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

and it opens the door of a new world

more, if you imagine the use of touchscreen

so here are my dreams ....

but i feels that i would have to wait for live 9 or 10 for all these things... :cry:

salut a tous !