austin,texas

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

austin,texas

Post by john gordon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:07 pm

thinking of heading to austin instead of la.one of my best friends is also moving there and he says it is really a great place.anyone have any good or bad things to say?how is the electronic music scene?

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Easily the most overrated city in the US.

Every douchebag down there thinks it's the Paris of the US, and then spends hours trying to convince you to move there. I think they're all very lonely.

Sad.

Hotter than a motherfucker. You wanna know why there's global warming? Because every asshole in Texas has to own 50 fucking cars - each one running 24/7 with the air conditioners cranking nonstop.

Hillbilly honkey tonk music patronized by a lot of White People. I asked around for some interesting electronic music venues, and got nothing but blank eyed stares in return. They would then direct me to their favorite Honkey Tonk bar where you get to hear some nitwit with an Al Gore for president t-shirt absolutely MURDER a fucking Hank Williams tune

That's the fucked up thing. A lot of Young Progressives who - whilst trying to demonstrate how hip they are to Texas culture - have embraced the whole Honkey Tonk music scene. And made utter clowns out of themselves in the process.

Horrid.

Packed with White Uber Liberals and Progressives. They spout off about how diverse their city and beliefs are but - I swear to God - I've been there a dozen times and have seen a total of 4 black people. If you like nothing but White 25 year olds who plan on never leaving Academia, Austin is your place.

The only Mexicans you see are the busboys at the White restaurants. In Texas, for Fuck's Sake. That's saying something.

Speaking of White Uber Liberal Progressives. Everyone claims to be environmentally aware in Austin, but public transportation is non-existent. Everyone fucking drives. They TELL you they ride their bikes, but that's fucking bullshit. It's too fucking hot. Hey douchebags, a little less time trying to convince me to move to your shithole, and a little more time lobbying for at least a Light Rail system for fuck's sake. Assholes.

The food, however, is Killer.

Last edited by landrvr1 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Austin has this mantra that you see on goofy fucking T-shirts.

"Keep Austin Weird".

Pathetic.

They fancy themselves very bizarre and tolerant and into innovative and cool shit.

So much so that they have to proclaim this on ruddy t-shirts.

wowwee.

I've got a couple more new Mantras for t-shirts, based on the time I've spent there:

"Keep Austin White"

"Keep Austin Free From Dirty Mexicans - Unless they're cleaning up the tables"

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:41 pm

lol landrvr1

i know what you mean but next time your in austin dont hang out with the freaking yuppies lol.... we have had a mad infestation of these people.

i gotta say alot of what you said is true... its hot.. stupid fucking t-shirts.. not much of a electronic scene...

Austin is a small city... so its not no new york or l.a. or what ever
problem is some poeple in austin want it to be that way.. so they call areas that span 2 blocks a fucking district LOL, they call a river a lake WTF its a fucking river..

their are actually alot of people that ride bikes here.
i have owned a car for about 6 months of the 14 years i've lived here.

i pedicab for a living lol...

the electronic scene is suck but it does exist .. it just needs help.. and alot of it.

the Dub Step crowed has been building that up for awhile...

i've dropped out of the club scene (metal/punk) for like 2 years cause i've been working on a new project and i've been learning Ableton for the last year.
but its time to get back out...

check out Red River... punk/metal/weird/electronic/what ever
that street is were all those clubs are.

the really really suck ass thing is that the best place to find a good selection of electronic music is the size of my kitchen ( Plush)

but headhunters and 710 dont limit them selves to metal/punk rock..

honestly though if you want a good electronic scene go somewhere else.
or come here and help us build it up.

if you come visit let me know
i can show you around (bring a bike if you can)

all and all Austin fucking rocks!!!

i've never lived anywhere for longer then 4 years and i've been here about 14 years.... and yes its fuck hot as shit

but from sept-may the weather is great!!

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:05 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:lol landrvr1

i know what you mean but next time your in austin dont hang out with the freaking yuppies lol.... we have had a mad infestation of these people.

i gotta say alot of what you said is true... its hot.. stupid fucking t-shirts.. not much of a electronic scene...

Austin is a small city... so its not no new york or l.a. or what ever
problem is some poeple in austin want it to be that way.. so they call areas that span 2 blocks a fucking district LOL, they call a river a lake WTF its a fucking river..

their are actually alot of people that ride bikes here.
i have owned a car for about 6 months of the 14 years i've lived here.

i pedicab for a living lol...

the electronic scene is suck but it does exist .. it just needs help.. and alot of it.

the Dub Step crowed has been building that up for awhile...

i've dropped out of the club scene (metal/punk) for like 2 years cause i've been working on a new project and i've been learning Ableton for the last year.
but its time to get back out...

check out Red River... punk/metal/weird/electronic/what ever
that street is were all those clubs are.

the really really suck ass thing is that the best place to find a good selection of electronic music is the size of my kitchen ( Plush)

but headhunters and 710 dont limit them selves to metal/punk rock..

honestly though if you want a good electronic scene go somewhere else.
or come here and help us build it up.

if you come visit let me know
i can show you around (bring a bike if you can)

all and all Austin fucking rocks!!!

i've never lived anywhere for longer then 4 years and i've been here about 14 years.... and yes its fuck hot as shit

but from sept-may the weather is great!!

Alright, okaaaay. It's not that bad.

I'm more responding to the incredible amount of hype over Austin than anything else. I did manage to see a couple of way cool electronic shows there....

luv2spin31

Post by luv2spin31 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:08 pm

I have to agree with you, landrvr1.

I have been in austin for 2 years and the diversity SUCKS!

If u want an electronica scene, go to houston. They have more of a scene then

austin.

Yes, I wish austin have a better transit system, but like bosonHavoc says people do

have bikes and ride. Remember tx is a huge state and flat.

if u got to pick a place to live in texas, i will definitely pick to austin to live.
"music is like photography. it's all in the rhythm of expression."

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:01 pm

I have a gig in Austin tonight, 7/19/08.

503 East 6th Street. El Troubadour Saloon.

More dub than in the club.

Check it out, 10-2

TrypseT

Using live 7 and a korg es-1 MKII

Edirol FA-101
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

dcease

Post by dcease » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:05 am

fuck off lamefkr1... austin is cool. i have had many fun nights there, from electronic to metal, to "honky tonk." hung with many different people, of all types, from tripping with "famous" rock stars, to smokin' doobers with "famous" rappers, to chillin with the bums, and harrassing the police, to laughing at the yuppies... i love austin. i also love that i don't live there, but close enough that it ain't no thang.

trypset, let me know when you are playing in austin again, to-nite is a no-go for me, but i'd like to check it out...

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:27 am

lol look for me ... i ride a black gary fisher opie pulling a big orange pedicab with a pimpin purple seat :)

i'm also triing to start an ableton live user group.
shoot me a pm if you want to know more.

we have a meeting set for this sunday at fair bean coffee

around 2pm

hey Trypset i dig your tunes i'll try and go to work early tonight so i can check you out.

my band is Lux Divon

luxdivon.com

we are just starting to play out and we have some shows at the cockpit on the next few thursdays... it doesn't have a house draw but we could work it
up ... sound/booking guy is really cool he pays us $50, that isn't shit but we don't have a draw and we are just starting... lol last show we bought $10 worth of booze and my friend maybe spent $10 so i dig the $50 pay lol
cool thing is that the staff likes our music :P
if your interested send me a message and i'll give you his email
they are just starting to book live music.... i really think that electronic and acoustic/electronic music is what will go over the best in that place.
(it is a gay bar just so ya know) especially if he ever starts to use those big sexy subs that set silently surround the dance floor lol

man i really want to find like 2 D.j.'s or prefer DJ/musician and someone to do visuals so we can set up a full entertainment troupe.
5 people that can put on a full nights worth of dynamic entertainment would be great for all parties involved.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:33 am

dcease wrote:fuck off lamefkr1... austin is cool. i have had many fun nights there, from electronic to metal, to "honky tonk." hung with many different people, of all types, from tripping with "famous" rock stars, to smokin' doobers with "famous" rappers, to chillin with the bums, and harrassing the police, to laughing at the yuppies... i love austin. i also love that i don't live there, but close enough that it ain't no thang.

Oh kiss my Northern Ass.

I betcha you got one of those Giant Ass Texas Lone Star Belt Buckles doncha? C'mon, confess.

I can do all of those things right here in Chicago; without breaking into an endless sweat because of the Arabian Fucking Heat. Even more so in New York. Except the Honkey Tonks. Which, you know, is a good thing.

Again, overFUCKINGrated.

I remember just before my first visit. My Sister-In-Law was going on and on and on and on and fucking on about how cool Austin was. Blah blah blah. I'm like, excellent. Can't wait. Sweet. Dyn-O-Myte.

After 4 hours, I'm looking around going, "This is it? WTF? THIS is fucking IT?" All that fucking hype for THIS? Oh. My. Fucking. God.

The bullshit thing about Austin - #348,actually - is that it's not even a real motherfucking city. Everything - like Texas itself - is spread out. You've got pockets of interesting areas, but then, when you get bored, you gotta GET IN YOUR FUCKING CAR to go somewhere else - or back home.

Fuck that.

It actually reminds me of Los Angeles. It's truly the L.A. of the South. Spread out. Everyone has to drive. God Awful Traffic at all hours of the day. A whole lot of people that fancy themselves as being a lot weirder than they actually are. Segregated as a MOTHERFUCKER. Following trends set in other parts of the country, but - in a highly delusional state - thinking that THEY are setting the trends.

Yup.

The L.A. of the South.

Definitely.

Another assholish thing is how everyone there is so proud that Austin "isn't like the rest of Texas." Fuck you. That's something to be proud of? Coulda fooled me. Like every other Texan, they are in love with themselves. There's no group of people on the planet who are in love with themselves more than Texans and - I hate to break this to ya'll - Austin is every bit as much Texas as Cotulla.

There's just more White People in Austin.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:03 am

:roll: Pitch Black lives in a better place than either of you pigfuckers, stfu, kthxbye.
Pitch Black wrote:Image
Piha Beach, Auckland, NZ

Karekare, the beach over the hill from where I live. The movie "The Piano" was filmed here. This photo is from the artwork of my solo album coming out next month, entitled Karekare.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:18 am

yaa i saw that .... after seeing those pic's my girlie and all almost decided to move to NZ ahhhh (i grew up on the atlantic... my childhood home is nothing compared to that but i soo miss the cost)

o by the way

austiniites = chillers

all that L.A. hipster you speak of is a fucking invasion of L.A. fucking hipsters
the car thing well show me a city that doent have a problem with cars lol

whats the average bike commuter percentage in any city?

"
* Portland, Ore., has the distinction among large cities as having the highest percentage of bicycle commuters. Approximately 3.5 percent of Portland’s workers pedal to work, about eight times the national average of 0.4 percent.

"

reference

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www ... 10230.html

man i used to live in seattle .... i'd love to move back up to the pacific nw

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:48 am

Tone Deft wrote::roll: Pitch Black lives in a better place than either of you pigfuckers, stfu, kthxbye.

Not for long....

Moody

Post by Moody » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:27 am

Austin used to be great and it still has its moments. It has become the new LA, so to speak and I really don't like LA. The one thing you get there is a lot more music types will travel through the area.(Squarepusher did Austin, that has to say something but, the electronic scene in general has become very strange in TX since the RAVE Act) It does get really hot but, this is not a problem if you know where to go to chill for the peak hours of the day. Of course all of my spots have been over run and become bacteria ses pools. They will never find my new hideaway. The strrange thing about this year is it did not start getting to hot in TX until a few weeks ago. Anybody else think the Julian Calendar has a few flaws?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:08 am

landrvr1 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote::roll: Pitch Black lives in a better place than either of you pigfuckers, stfu, kthxbye.
yeah, but look at the size of that shark fin, it's miles off the coast. 8O
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz