austin,texas

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:13 am

lol

8O

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:17 am

Moody wrote:Austin used to be great and it still has its moments. It has become the new LA, so to speak and I really don't like LA. The one thing you get there is a lot more music types will travel through the area.(Squarepusher did Austin, that has to say something but, the electronic scene in general has become very strange in TX since the RAVE Act) It does get really hot but, this is not a problem if you know where to go to chill for the peak hours of the day. Of course all of my spots have been over run and become bacteria ses pools. They will never find my new hideaway. The strrange thing about this year is it did not start getting to hot in TX until a few weeks ago. Anybody else think the Julian Calendar has a few flaws?

New hideaway? Hmmm.

Yeah, I can see the attraction with Austin. I think what initially attracted so many folks in the last 10 years was that it had the university, and was cheap as a motherfucker to live there. Not anymore, though. Did some house pricing whilst down there last.

$$$$$$$$

Holy shit. You'd never think there was a massive slump in the housing market going on if you just looked at Austin's prices...

Of course, it must be said that Austin Vintage Guitars is just the fucking coolest guitar shop I've ever been to.....

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:36 am

Been there while touring in 2002ish with a industrial band. Had a good scene then and I had a good time. A friend moved there about 8 months ago and loves it. I would not move there.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:54 pm

i came here from boulder, colorado. my job moved me. it took about two years to recover from the culture shock. been 5 years now. it's been a good move for me, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone else--or vouch for the state of texas.

-wttg-

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Steers & Queers.
spreader of butter

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:24 pm

b0unce wrote:Steers & Queers.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:28 pm

hmmm.now i cant decide...

glu

Post by glu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 pm

I am currently in the Amazon (hurray for satellite internerz), but I live in Austin for most of the year. I try to
get out of Texas for at least a quarter of the year because of the heat.
Austin is okay, the bus system is decent, there are festivals here all the
time, but yes it is becoming somewhat LA-ish and not in a good way. High
rises for yuppies are mushrooming by the dozens, and the lack of diversity
is a real problem. IH35 serves as a racial barrier in the city, or at least for
low-income families. The city is rapidly changing, but it is still a nice place
to live when you find your niche. I would personally get out of the US if
I had the opportunity, but that is a different question/post. However, Austin
is the best city to live in if you are in Texas. I would avoid Houston at all
costs.

If you enjoy parks, Austin has a few nice ones and the city is close to some
natural beauties, but remember, it is Texas so don't get your hopes up.

I believe you, John Gordon, really enjoy girls, and Austin has PLeeeeenty
of those waiting to be your next victims. The music scene here could be
better, but it is Austin, and you wouldn't have too much trouble finding a
place to play/Dj.

cheers
g
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, yes. The girls.

There's hot chicks running around in short shorts year round, so - um - I suppose that's reason enough to make Austin your destination.

8O

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm

i live in south east texas, and very much want to move to austin. if you want to live in an music friendly city where you have opportunity (especially electronic music) then austin is your place. dallas is also nice, but i think the austin area offers a LOT more due to the part of texas it is located in. you have a great lake very close by, as well as lots of hill country you can explore.

i do agree about all the austin people thinking its the greatest place on earth. it is a bit overated, but, to me, the city and its surrounding area is a great place to visit and i wish we could move there.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:59 am

I lived in Austin (34th and Duval) for a few months and left.

I basically agree with the synopsis of it being a place where affluent white liberals congratulate each other. It is now severely gentrified as well -- working artists basically can't afford to live in the desirable areas -- and certainly they can't own there. It's also one of the most racially-segregated cities I've ever seen. Basically everybody I know who wants to move there, now, are yuppies who like really boring indie rock. (edit: no offense if you want to move there and this doesn't describe you. Just what I've seen on the wind, that's all.)

Some nice things about it: South Austin/UT/North Campus/Hyde Park (what people think of when they say "Austin") is a wonderful contiguous series of neighborhoods. It's also nice to be able to go cliff climbing within the city limits, since greenbelts run through the heart of the city.

I prefer Houston, myself. The fastest-growing city in the US, rated the best place to make money from nothing, and extremely, extremely diverse. If you live inside the loop it's also very easy to get around. (Because its core identity is that of a working town, it's very underrated by hipsters, and I like it that way.) Also, landrvr, if you liked the food in Austin, you'd love the food in Houston.

rs

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:46 am

landrvr1 wrote:Not for long....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

While we're photoshoppin' inna blockbuster movie style:

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Houston Electronic Scene

Image[/img]
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 pm

We're leaving Austin in 2 weeks for grad school in NY. We've been doing Live AV performances here for close to 3 years. The scene isn't exactly bumping. Nearly everybody in Austin who isn't mining some country music niche is just playing blooze.

Crowds, clubs, and cops are usually suspicious of new music here. They like it tried and true. You can still see some knockout things here though, but not every weekend. And if you want to get the most out of the city (i.e. playing shows and getting out to shows everywhere), you really do need a car.

And there are no good music stores anywhere here. The blooze thing has ruined them all. Get ready to order everything you need off the internet.
Last edited by John Sweet on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:57 pm

nice photoshops!

if you have to be in Texas, might as well be Austin, sounds like Texas without the steers.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz